Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On Dendix in Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Dendix fans who ski in the rain in the UK should have no trouble trying out the new slope in Tignes! Every July and August afternoon at Tignes le Lac, 16€ a session, all material supplied...

Can you swim?

More photos here

A sign of things to come?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure someone, maybe a stuntman ?, broke their neck on a similar jump in the UK quite a few years ago
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm pretty certain there used to be a jump pool at Sheffield Ski Village Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, Was the unlucky man Mike Nemesvary (spelling), UK acrobatic skier?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny, I don't remember, possibly, all I remember is that I think the person concerned had done some Bond film stunts
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, I think thats the guy, he did the opening stunts for one of the Bond's, and then broke his neck later on, at the time of the accident I believe he was in the world top 5 for the discipline.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That water jump features on one of my ski movies might b mind the addiction! snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, No,I'm pretty sure Mike didn't break his neck on the water jump. There used to be a big one near Reading (Junct. 12 on the M4). It's not there now - is this where it ended up. Perhaps it was sold on ebay like those old boots and grass skis! He used to live near Carlisle, and had a lot to do with the disabled ski-ing on the dry slope there - had a drink with him once in a v. nice pub (after the wheelchair).

It was him at the start of the Bond movie (can't remember which one), but he jumped down a very big vertical into a sort of hole or something. At the time it was the biggest vertical jump ever done on skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why is Mr Bean at the end the last set of Pic's. Toofy Grin
My French isn't up to reading the story wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That lake must be pretty cold. There was a frost on the cars at Val Claret when I got up there first thing last Friday.

7°C in fact, mentioned in the first part of the story...

The Mr. Bean bit just details when the jump is open, cost/equipment etc, and that as long as you can ski in a straight line without falling over anyone can do it. Plus you can slide down the green chutes minus skis, if you prefer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, There is one at Sheffield. Not quite on the scale of this one in Tignes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Argh! Looks scary!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG wrote:

7°C in fact, mentioned in the first part of the story...

is that the same 7°C the overhead sign by the bus stop in val claret seems to be stuck on?

Got a good look at the locals doing jumps off the ramp last month. Looks really good fun, apart from the belly flops some of them managed to do. With my belly, i would have emptied the lake! The main reason for stoppign was actually because i was knackered doing jogs round the lake. At least it encourages the athletes if coach is prepared to do as he says.....

BTW that is not dendix, but what I term Sticklebrick. It has tendency to melt at not very high temperatures, even a 50m at 30°C will be impossible without water lube. Usefully they have an ample supply at the bottom of the ramp.

Next time i'm there, correction next SUMMER time i am there I will give it a go. I will also bring my mountain bike, along with my 2 new toys that I picked up this weekend (specifically a dirtsurfer and a Kitewing). I should be back in tignes 10-->24 November, hopefully to have some snow to ski on.

Have fun in the Pisty Basher in the morning snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Talking of skis and cold water - has anyone ever done a Pool Race (or Splash Contest as they sometimes call it)? That is where you ski straight down a slope and onto a pool of water - the aim is to get all the way across the pool without sinking. Each round they lower the start on the slope - when you sink you are out - so eventually everyone gets wet.

I did it in Wengen a few years back and it is excellent fun! Lot easier for snowboarders though!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, where on earth did they hold that ?
snow report
James (young snowskisnow) did something like that at the EOSB

you can see pics here

http://nbt.eosb.fotopic.net/c522296_97.html
snow conditions
beanie1,

Done a couple of them. One in Saalbach, and IIRC one in Les Arcs.

Great fun, and the skiers ALWAYS beat the boarders. Drying the boots out for skiing the next day is a bit of an issue though.
ski holidays
D G Orf,

Beside the Figgeler (not sure of spelling) on the Nursery Slopes, 4th April 1999. I remember the date as it was my 19th birthday, one of the most fun borthdays ever! Think they held it a couple more years too. I've got pics, but unforunately was before the age of digital and I don't have a scanner.

nbt,

Yes it was something like that. But the pool was dug out - about 15 / 20 m long and 1.5 m deep. The trick was to get as much speed as poss then land on the water perfectly balanced.

They also do a competition like it on BUSC.
ski holidays
paulhothersall,

Yes it was a skier who won eventually - but he was using two squalls! Have to strike a balance between speed and flotation. I was using my 98/99 9X which wasn't very fat - got through 3 rounds. My friend who used her touring skis got to the final.
snow report
beanie1, Oh, must be something only done at the end of the season, the last time I was there that late in the season was probably arround 1981 or 82 and they certainly didn't do it in those days, I have seen it being done on glaciers during the summer though
snow report
paulhothersall wrote:
Done a couple of them. One in Saalbach, and IIRC one in Les Arcs.

Yes there's been one in Arc 1800 for a few years. They had the Arcs Club doing it last year - the kids were showing off, saying how easy it was - til the coach made them do it on one ski. A lot of them managed it too - then he made them do it backwards Shocked

That stopped them crowing about how good they thought they were... Laughing
ski holidays
PG,

Did they manage it backwards? I guess with twin tips it could be done.
latest report
beanie1, they were all on their GS skis at the time. You can guess the result Laughing

The trainers here do NOT like it if anyone starts taking him/herself too seriously wink
snow report
More on what Mike Nem has been up to more recently here: http://www.roundtheworldchallenge.com/
ski holidays
Martin Bell, Thanks - good to hear more recent news. Very Happy
latest report
Back on the subject on water jumping, this article in The Australian reveals the dangers involved, as mentioned by Masque elsewhere.

No less than four members of the Australian aerials team sustained virtually identical and serious anterior cruciate ligament knee injuries water jumping at Lake Placid recently, including the world number two just 10 weeks back.
Quote:
WINTER Olympic contender Lydia Ierodiaconou achieved a feat more spectacular than any of her triple-twisting double somersaults at Mt Buller this week.

It is just 10 weeks since she underwent radical knee reconstruction surgery that may have saved her Olympic campaign.

The world No.2-ranked aerial skier snapped an anterior cruciate ligament in water-jump training at Lake Placid, in the US, in June, just nine months before the Winter Games begin in Turin, Italy.

A conventional reconstruction usually involves a six-month rehabilitation but the proximity of the Games did not allow for that, leading Ierodiaconou to submit herself to allograft surgery, a procedure by which a tendon from a cadaver is grafted into the knee to replace the ligament.

She has since undergone an intensive rehabilitation process that has already brought her knee back to 95 per cent of full strength.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy