Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR (with lots of pics): Let's stop at a gas station and get some food - Chile 2011

Poster: A snowHead
So called after a SMS we received from Horizon on about 12 occasions. He says network error; I think he was really hungry.

Here are some of my better pics, maybe the others will post a few of theirs

A hike-to zone off the back of La Parva. The lifts topped out at 3500m and the peak in the pic is at about 4100m so this is a bit of a shock after coming from sea level. We didn't make it into sight in this picture because we got to some nice lines before

blatant posing from Horizon and Costin

Horizon tops out

About to drop in. Horizon was not sufficiently impressed by the snowboarder's claims of being a K2 team rider as to let him have first go on this line

Costin makes more mellow turns on the run-out

Horizon never takes his foot off the gas

Alex and Bill walked round the ridge for 5 mins and found this nice face - Alex had first go

Bill

Sun sets on a very nice day

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-08-11 21:00; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Over to Portillo. After much debate, we decided to go for Super C Couloir. Here are some stats about Super C:

750m boot pack from the top of the Roca Jack slingshot lift
Top of climb is about 4000m
Descent is about 1200m topping out at a bit over 45*

First the bootpack

Still smiling but we've only just started

Aconcagua glowers in the background

This is the photo which makes skimottaret swear never to ski with me Wink - Costin and Bill on the traverse of the gods

Costin drops in

The first few pitches were pretty steep

Bill keeps it tidy

There my photos run out - it was a special line and well worth the climb

The others cleared off because they needed to be back to work today but Bill and I stuck around and enjoyed a special bonus powder day! Portillo operates on weekly packages and it was changeover day, so we almost had the place to ourselves. What's not to like?
Lots of pics of Bill follow:

Tourist pic of the Portillo hotel and the frozen Laguna del Inca

2 pairs of DPS W112s, lightly abused Cool

That's all folks!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 29-08-11 16:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, Just beautiful - made me smile snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You lucky, lucky....

Most envious Going green
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin wrote:
You lucky, lucky....

Most envious Going green

cant disagree with this Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good work fellas you definitely earned your turns....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

you definitely earned your turns....

+1 - 750m at that altitude when you'd just arrived...... respect!

Fantastic photos. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice. A 750m bootpack is a bit brutal!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Reading your TR made me salivate. Very cool, mister, very cool Cool
Liking the traverse of the gods!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ditto: fabulous pics and lovely slopes, but NOT liking the Traverse of the Gods. I'd have put on my skis (I think).

Now hopefully I'll get Horizon's attention about winter plans
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
...but NOT liking the Traverse of the Gods. I'd have put on my skis (I think).

That's a good point. Skis and ice axe would have provided more grip, possibly?
And rigging a crampon to helmet for the "well if I'm going to die on this face, let me doing it with a crampon attached to my helmet in ridiculous fashion" factor wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
These photos may have used up my download bandwidth for the month - but it was worth it. Great photos! Thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Admiration rather than envy from this poster, don't think I could cope with 750m bootpack at that altitude than that traverse followed by that couloir . Very impressive though. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, Zero-G, there was a decent platform in the snow already so walking across the traverse wasn't too bad - the photo looks worse than it felt (for me anyway)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahhh, well it definitely looks hardcore. Let's just leave it at that wink

Oh and fantastic pics, by the way!
snow report
Cool and the Gang

Give us the general itinerary if you would - always fancied going there - especially Portillo, the surroundings look just magic

Top work, what's the red graphics on the old bunny wailers?? Don't think I've seen em like that before (them is sure purdy)
latest report
Arno, Some fantastic pics there... in the first one... OMG... look at that couloir notch Shocked
snow conditions
Well, since Arno came up with the main feature, I'll provide the prequel.

(photos from all group members)

Three of us arrived a week earlier. After one hour in Santiago, we're already making friends:

We headed to Termas de / Nevados de Chillan, staying down the valley in Las Trancas. Our cabin welcomed us:

Two days later, with added snow:

So we get to work (a couple of pics have already been posted on another thread, but so what)

Costin (= irbis) enjoys the trees:

And so does Alex

me too:

On the road we picked up a French chap, Boris, who usually lives in the Pyrenees. He was hitchhiking every day from Las Trancas. He showed us how it's done:

Then the storm departed and we found some nice snow:

Irbis:

Me:

Alex (who will re-register as skivirus over here. skivirus is the Romanian equivalent of snowheads, and Alex is the equivalent of admin. Only there's four of them, which just goes to show what a good job admin is doing almost all by himself):

Talking of Alex...Ali G, innit?

I think I'm A-framing. But I don't really care:

Irbis and Alex find a scenic point and launch:

Let's see if my new ACL holds up:

We met up with our (English) landlord from the cabana - he launches into a nice line (I'll let Irbis talk about the cornice incident, if he wants to):

latest report
On to Santiago, where we meet Arno and Bill, send them to the hotel after dinner and proceed to terrorize the La Nona bar, which features a video jukeobox, with a playlist of ZZ Top, AC/DC, Metallica, Rammstein, Placebo, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Sepultura, and, in an apotheosis, Modern Talking.

Next day we ski in La Parva. You can see Santiago from here, so I pose in front of it:

Bill takes pleasure in wounding his new skis on about a million shark teeth, though the terrain looks harmless and inviting at sunset:

We missed a golden opportunity to do a pro call-out of the German ski team members, who were drinking beer next to us at a bar. (see G.N.A.R. for the meaning of a pro call-out). Might have had something to do with them being the size of large wardrobes.

Arno delights us with his subdued colour scheme:

He can ski a bit, too:

The next day a transplanted Canadian shows us around Santa Teresita - a big wall with a lot of lines, starting from the top of El Colorado and ending up on a road, where a taxi picks us up and whisks us back to the resort. Rinse and repeat, as quickly as possible, so there's hardly time for photos - but here's Serge dropping in:

snow report
On to Portillo. We're all staying in a huge room at Hotel Plaza in Los Andes. Though the room is very nice, Chilean engineering is on show:

Once in Portillo, we happen upon some chap called Ben who does a jump into the swimming pool:

Arno mentioned the Super C, here's how it looks from the valley (there's more above):

A little steep inside:

But Irbis is not impressed:

I go for it (no idea why it looks almost flat here. It wasn't):

So does Arno. By the way, the harder the terrain is, the better this guy skis.

Then in the evening in the bar, we have a beer with Chris Davenport (as you do):

snow report
horizon, wow. Just wow.
snow report
Gutted - I was expecting to see some pics of a very nice South American Petrol Station. Wink
snow report
Arno, life´s a biatch eh? Fantastic pics, I will even excuse your choice of Modern Talking on your playlist Shocked

That sunset picture is absoultely stunning*sigh* I should be there. Thank you so much for making my heart soar, not long now snowHead
latest report
kooky, please don't confuse horizon's music taste with mine! wink
ski holidays
gulp and wow in the same breath!
latest report
Arno wrote:
kooky, please don't confuse horizon's music taste with mine! wink

Speaking of which, I thought this trip was going to be all Romanian folk dancing, or something like that.
ski holidays
Zero-G, we had Chilean pop instead
snow conditions
barry, I was there for 8 days, horizon and crew had an extra week. our flight landed in Santiago at about 8am and we managed to get an afternoon of skiing in La Parva - could have got more than that but Santiago airport is a bit of a South American gong show. We travelled back down to Santiago that night to meet up with horizon and co. The drive takes about an hour but is not much fun unless you enjoy hundreds of switchbacks and lots of potholes. We went back up the next day and stayed in Farellones which provides good access to all the resorts up there - Valle Nevado, La Parva and El Colorado.

We had about 4 days there then drove over to Los Andes. This takes about 2.5 hours and is pretty easy once you have got down to Santiago. Los Andes is the last place of any size before you get to Portillo. We toyed with staying in Portillo but you were looking at $300+ per person per night in Portillo (all inclusive, incl lift tickets) versus a perfectly OK hotel in Los Andes which cost us about $200 per person for 4 nights B&B 2 dinners and some drinks. This did require a drive of an hour or so every morning and evening which wasn't as tedious as the one up to the Santiago resorts, but still wasn't great. I have mixed feelings about this decision. It certainly made sense economically. We would have partied up at Portillo, so taking this into account we probably saved about $1k each but the drive was a pain and the partying (and the hot tub and Chris Davenport's talks on skiing in Antarctica etc) would have been fun. Also the road up to Portillo is quite prone to closure so you risk not being able to get up there after a big dump. In fact we were held up on our last day even though there wasn't much snow below the resort

We had 4 days in Portillo then headed down to a Santiago airport hotel and flew out the following morning

Chile is a pretty easy country to travel around generally. Would definitely recommend it. Looking forward to giving Argentina a try for skiing next!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow again.
snow report
Muy bien gentlemen
snow report
beautiful pics looks fantastic, just depressing me looking at a wet Tuesday in Manchester knowing there are conditions like that be enjoyed else were Going green
snow conditions
Nice - I have only admiration (well, and jealousy) for your work. Particularly that traverse... Shocked

The snow looks awesome too. Out of interest did you luck out or is that what south america is generally like at this time of year?
ski holidays
Great great photos and skiing and inspiration... 3.something years to save up for my 40th birthday extravaganza!
snow report
ChrisWo, to some extent we lucked out. There was another big storm earlier in the season, with Nevados de Chillan getting 2m+ of snow (much less in the north I think). But the week before we came it rained in Nevados and the top lifts were closed, so people told us they stayed indoors and played cards. Also I think the following week we hit the best cover to that date in the resorts around / north of Santiago. That said, I heard there was another storm coming after we were leaving (but I decided not the check the forecasts anymore).

Another element of luck was being in a resort with trees while it snowed...we got two excellent days which would have been a miserable whiteout in a high resort.

I heard that last season was quite bony in South America, but the season before was great, so perhaps we got the good part of a volatile season.

barry, to add to Arno's comments above, the drive to Nevados de Chillan is very easy on the motorway and then well-signaled towards the resort (if a bit maze-like through Chillan). Takes about 5 hours. Las Trancas as a base and the road to Nevados are beautiful, maybe I'll post a few more pics.
snow conditions
Cheers Arno & horizon, yup I reckon if I can ever make it happen I'd want to blow the budget and stay up in Portillo, the various TRs and blogs i've seen make it look ace. Was 8 days a killer for such a far away spot??

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 30-08-11 15:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ah, and to add to the comments about the Traverse of the Gods, we all had a different view on it. Arno just sauntered across and then said "no need for a break, we're nearly there" and kept climbing (it was one hour before we actually got to the top, I should add). I froze for 2-3 minutes remembering a tumble through a rock field in St Anton, and then hugged the rock at the beginning tighter than I've ever hugged a lady - but once past that I found it a doddle. Irbis on the other hand had no problem with the entrance but felt unsafe on the actual snow-covered traverse.

I think Bill was too busy cussing at Arno for not stopping and didn't actually notice the traverse.
latest report
barry, 8 days wasn't too bad but I did have miles which allowed me to fly at the front of the plane. however, the time difference is only 4 or 5 hours so jetlag isn't a huge issue - it's just a case of how well you cope with long flights

horizon, wink
snow report
horizon wrote:
Then in the evening in the bar, we have a beer with Chris Davenport (as you do):

What is it with that guy, he just doesn't seem to age at all!
snow report
horizon wrote:
tighter than I've ever hugged a lady

I love you man.

Looks awesome.
latest report
I knew there was a reason I log on here every now and again. Nice work guys snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy