Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich train to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any advice on what are the easiest ski destinations to get to in Austria by train from Munich?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Funnily enough this was talked about a bit earlier this week... Salzburg is very accessible and gives access to the fantastic Ski Amade area. The other thread is here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78854, worth a look.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads enzodolly, snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
enzodolly, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
The main line from Munich to Innsbruck crosses the border into Austria at Kufstein, and once you have passed Kufstein the train stops at Wörgl, where you can get another train that goes to Hopfgarten, Westendorf, Brixen (all in the Grossraum/Wilder Kaiser ski area) and then Kirchberg and Kitzbühel. Alternatively a taxi from Wörgl will take you to Söll or Ellmau (also in the Grossraum Wilder Kaiser) or Niederau and Oberau.

The next stop on the main line after Wörgl is Brixlegg, from where you can get a taxi to Alpbach (a very pretty beginner's resort).

Finally (and my preference) the next main line stop at Jenbach. From here you change on the narrow gauge Zillertalbahn railway that goes all the way up the Ziller valley to Mayrhofen, passing excellent ski areas such as Hochzillertal and Zell am Ziller on the way.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But if you go to Westendorf research the telephone number of the local taxi company in advance as unbelievably they do not have it posted up in the station............................and in any of the resorts in that area if you are travleeing on a Sunday the train service is far worse than the rest of the week as is the bus service.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
enzodolly, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

There's a pretty frequent service from Munich to Salzburg and then down towards the Ski Amade Region. The train goes direct through the Gastein valley but you can change at earlier stations to connect with other parts of the ski region. Check out www.oebb.at for more info.

Cheers
Kersh

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 29-08-11 9:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
The main line from Munich to Innsbruck crosses the border into Austria at Kufstein, and once you have passed Kufstein the train stops at Wörgl, where you can get another train that goes to Hopfgarten, Westendorf, Brixen (all in the Grossraum/Wilder Kaiser ski area) and then Kirchberg and Kitzbühel. Alternatively a taxi from Wörgl will take you to Söll or Ellmau (also in the Grossraum Wilder Kaiser) or Niederau and Oberau.

After Kitzbühel come St. Johann in Tirol and then Fieberbrunn. If I was going to Söll or Ellmau, I would probably rather change at Kufstein but maybe there's not much in it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks - thanks for the replies, they are really helpful.

Can anyone give a view as to which of the areas have good kids facilities? We have 3 young kids aged 4, 6 and 8.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads enzodolly, snowHead

Thanks - it's a great site.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most places will support kids fine. From the places I know (without special experience of instruction for kids), the ones that come to mind are Ellmau, Söll, Westendorf, Kirchberg, Niederau - the list is probably endless Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi enzodolly.

There is also an hourly train to innsbruck which goes via garmisch and seefeld.garmisch might be a bit much with kids, as it's quite a fragmented area- I've not skied seefeld I'm afraid, so can't report on that. From garmisch you can catch another train to ehrwald or lermoos, both of which would be good for kids. My recommendation would be to hop off the train at lermoos and get a taxi to berwang, which is about 5k away. Berwang is very pretty and kid friendly- I'm always surprised that it hasn't got a higher profile in the UK. There is a bus from lermoos to berwang, but it's quite erratic, unfortunately.

Garmisch is 1hr20 on the train - ehrwald is then another 30 mins from garmisch. DB.de is v. good for train times (and also has an English option). Hope that helps!

W94.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St Johann in tirol is very good for kids with an excellent ski school, nice town to wander in after skiing with none of the hardcore apres going like a lot of Austrian towns. They also have a weekly ski show which is good for the kids. The local pass for the area also covers Fieberbrunn and Waidring which they have a free ski bus to connect with.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy