Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap Apres Ski and Good Skiing - Where should we go?

Poster: A snowHead
I am booking a holiday for myself and a dozen friends.

We're looking for good skiing and reasonably priced beer. Where should I be looking?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St. Anton
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tyler durden, For cheapish beer you should be looking at Austria or Italy but gives us more information on what you want from your skiing. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick response. Would you recommend any particular resort in these places?

Ideally a catered chalet near the lifts and night life, but a hotel would probably be fine too.

What else is there, apart from good skiing and cheap beer!? Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tells us where you have been before and what you liked/disliked about it?
What level of sking are you all?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our group is a mixed ability group, so all skill levels need to be catered for.

I personally haven't been skiing for years, but the group have been to France a few times in the last few years, mainly around the 3 valleys.

Is France much more expensive than Italy and Austria?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Soll, Austria (maiden visit), Feb time, and apart from the, fairly massive, sliding area not quite being my cup of tea, couldn't fault the rest of it.

The beer price was about the same as here, the grub probably cheaper. Nightlife to suit all tastes to boot.

I'd vote it better 'value' than anywhere else I've been, even 'cheaper' Bansko, IMO.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Making a sweeping generalisation, yes, France is much more expensive than both Austira & Italy.

However, France is a very big place so there are lots of smaller resorts where the prices are considerably lower than the mega resorts of 3V, Killy & Paradiski.

You haven't indicated any sort of budget so it's difficult to provide any credible information. In looking for good skiing & cheap apres you should include Pas de la Casa in Andorra in your plans. It's a bit 18-30 but definitely fits your brief.

Remember though that all chalets include as much wine as you can stomach which dramatically reduces your apres spend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a decent ski area and cheap apres which would be good for a group of mates then have a look at Pas de la Casa in the Grandvalira area of Andorra.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm just amazed nobody has chipped in to say Ski Amade yet Toofy Grin

Anyway, I'm going to say Kirchberg.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tyler durden, Went to Austria for the first time this year. Ski hire and lift passes are a bit dearer than France/Switzerland but restaurant, bar and on the hill beer prices were cheaper. So for me Austria is a great compromise - says the man who's off to Verbier in January so what do I know Laughing ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand, You were done then! Where were you - let me guess, St Anton, Ischgl, Lech by any chance?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mayrhofen. My, aren't we all predictable Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abroaduni, I hear Spamshine Village is very good.

Ghost Dog, yes, but the Hoff works really well for a group.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
Ghost Dog, yes, but the Hoff works really well for a group.

He skis at Mayrhofen, really?
http://media01.regionaut.meinbezirk.at/2011/03/07/380902_web.jpg
snow report
Bode Swiller, I was suggesting the Hoff, and commenting on my (and others) predicability. Returning to the Hoff on 21 1 12.

The Hoff was performing at one of the end of season bashes recently wasn't he (not the Snowheads one).
snow report
Samerberg Sue, if you say so rolling eyes
snow report
halfhand, Sorry if that came across as being too rude I'm posting a lot from my iPad these days and the smilies don't always appear Embarassed

There are places where ski hire is expensive - the cartel in St Anton being one of the most notorious. However, the lift pass prices I don't believe and the like for like pricing of accommodation in Austria is in my experience way better than in France. I am comparing recent hotel experiences as well before any one jumps in, as I regularly travel in France and Austria and can compare like with like. As for lift passes, I shall be paying 535 Euros for my season pass for the whole of the province of Salzburg plus some neighbouring resorts in Tirol and Bavaria. It is effective from early November to early May, so represents excellent value for money. Even if the weekly passes are more expensive, they are cheaper than those I bought at similar times in France, on a like for like resort basis.

I think that for those going to a country for the first time, it is important to research the prices and options so you do not get taken for a ride by those who will do exactly that if they can. Tour operators are often the worst for doing just that which is why some resorts in Austria are not happy to have certain ones, despite the volume of traffic they say they can bring. I was involved in the negotiations for one well-known operator and the prices they were charging customers were so disproportional in terms of what they were actually paying the suppliers,that you could say that they were not just making a profit, they were running a racket!

There is a wealth of knowledge and up to date information here for example, so if you paid over the odds for something be it any where in Europe or North America, then to some extent, you are letting yourself be ripped off!

Sue snowHead
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
Mayrhofen. My, aren't we all predictable Smile

Agreed
ski holidays
Cheap Apres Ski

halfhand wrote:
St. Anton

Errr No. Nothing cheap about Apres Ski in St Anton or for that matter Ischgl, Solden etc.
snow report
Cheap Apres Ski

halfhand wrote:
St. Anton

Errr No. Nothing cheap about Apres Ski in St Anton or for that matter Ischgl, Solden etc.

For example at The Mooserwirt Bier increases around 0.50 eurocent per season

2010/11 Season

0.5L Bier cost 5,60

Expect circa 6 Euros this season.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 30-08-11 13:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
you can say that again
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
halfhand,

There are places where ski hire is expensive - the cartel in St Anton being one of the most notorious.

Sue snowHead

Im still recovering from 175 euro per person for skis and boots last year.

And about 175 euros a round at Moosewirt

You gotta do it once though Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
Saalbach? St Anton is the dogs bo11ocks, but expect to pay just over €5 a pint in St Anton in the main apres venues.
snow report
kewhoward wrote:

Trouble is, when you've done St Anton once you have to go back... no where else quite compares.
ski holidays
sah, That is total bolluxs to be honest wink You've swallowed the advertising hook, line and sinker if you genuinely believe that! Many of the locals go elsewhere to ski because the prices are too high.

St Anton is good, I try and ski there at least once a season, if not more often. But there are plenty of other places to compare with it without the huge extra cost that they put on things. In fact the rip-off factor is beginning to annoy me intensely and I may not bother to ski there this coming season. It is fed by the marketing that every tourist uses to justify the inflated prices! So a vicious circle really.

I'm definitely going to try the Krippenstein for example which is where a lot of Austrians really rate the off piste and steeps.

Very Happy
snow conditions
sah wrote:
kewhoward wrote:

Trouble is, when you've done St Anton once you have to go back... no where else quite compares.
including the Arlberg as a whole, I'd agree with that. It's my number one (unassisted by adverrtising SS).

Let's get the beer price thing into some sort of perspective shall we. 5 Euro in St A as opposed to 3.50 elsewhere. So, you're spending 1.50 more per large beer. It doesn't add up to too much of a premium even at 10 a day.
ski holidays
Nope, it's not boll*cks at all.

I don't think I've swallowed any advertising, I'm not sure I've seen St Anton advertised as such anywhere come to think of it. Regions like Ski Amadé and the Dolomites seem to spend more on advertising in glossy mags in the UK than St Anton does.

I've skied in dozens of resorts, across Europe and N America and after all that I still prefer St Anton. Maybe I'm biased, I've probably skied 30+ weeks in St Anton, which is more than in any other single place, but I've also spent seasons in other places and skied in many other places with a completely open mind I hope. I don't only ski there, but it is the one place I keep going back to more often than any other.

Talking of locals... the owners of the hotel we stayed at in Radstadt told us they take a week off at the end of their season... to go skiing in St Anton. Happy (EDIT: in fairness, this is after the lifts close in their area, so St Anton is probably the closest place where there is still skiing in mid-late April, and I think they have friends there).

Krippenstein sounds good, its certainly on the list but unless conditions were epic, or you were going touring, I'm not sure it's got enough to offer for a holiday on its own. It would be good to explore the Salzkammergut region though, it's not a place I've been to yet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheapest apres ski & value for money has to be Bansko, Bulgaria..especially if you have a family with kids...also some great food on offer
ski holidays
Livigno, OK skiing and decent apres especially if there's a biggish group of you.
ski holidays
Thank you all for your input.
snow report
tyler durden, I think it is unfair that France often gets labelled as expensive (ps I'm not against Austria, I love Austria), I just don't see it. Looking at the size of your group, I think you could get an amazing deal going for a catered chalet in a big resort like Val, Meribel etc. Once there, you are fully catered with free wine, everyone brings one bottle of spirits with them, and then hit the town later on.

Completely agree with Bode Swiller, when you're talking about the overall price of a ski holiday, a small difference in the price of a pint is hardly going to rock the world.
ski holidays
sah, +1 re St Anton, the best in Europe IMO by some distance
snow conditions
Come to St.Anton for the last week of the season, take in the weisse rausch race, empty slopes and all the closing parties where they end up pretty much giving the drinks away!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy