Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Ski Amade Snow Report: 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
just had a lok outside @ 20:25 ... the wind is coming in... precipitation is in the air... Flachau are blowing snow at the top of the mountain... but it really doesn't feel that cold Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...hold the phone.... this looks like 'it'... nice even 'drizzling' snow.. slow and steady!... off we go!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow falling this morning here in the Hochkönig, not much but enough to start and make you think .. come ON!!! looks like it will be gone by tomorrow lunchtime, would think about 10cms down here at 800m, more up top. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well yesterday's snow wasn't enough for any ski touring unlike a couple of weeks ago.But certainly making it feel like winter, snow covered mountains down to around 1100m, will probably start disapperaing lower down though nice and cold out at the moment. Seems to be snow machines on down to mid station or below on all 4 local hills. Can see the conditions on these webcams (the temps are very wrong on the images!) http://www.hauser-kaibling.at/de/wetter-schnee/webcams/index.htm?c=1

For those that know the planai night race track that comes into town, some very risky and clever helicopter flying yesterday saw 5 new 60-80 foot high flood light towers being installed. Each tower came in 3 sections, 2 pilons and the floodlight array. Watched the ground crew climb the partly erected tower for the copter to lower in the top sections, very high risk business. One rather poor pic of the copter bringing in a lower section of tower. I'll grab some pics of the finished towers later when the fog clears, no doubt they will be swicthed on for testing soon, which will light the whole town up.

I just realised this is my 1000th post. How sad is that. I wonder how much wasted time the relates to?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okay here's a pic with the new floodlights in place. Notice how the floodlights on the right towers above the gondola.

Back on snow.Popped up Hauser Kaibling earlier. Snow machines blasting away and thanks to snowfall yesterday looking nice.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Schladming opens tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep opening with one lift the Märchenwiesebahn, the new-ish 8 man. Will need to drive up Onkle Willys Hutte to ski down to the lift. Onkle Willys will also open. Looking very wintry again today, snowline holding around 1000m. Will they hold on to it, looking cool for a few days then warming. Lift pass is 15Euros. I may pop up as my son is keen to ski. Is this the first non glacier euro lift to open for the season? It's all a bit of a marketing stunt, but hey i'm happy if there's some skiing available, will be better when season pass cuts in from nov.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos, normally they open the gondola asnyway. the previous few years it has been the 3 man chair just behind planai.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This was the view from Zauchensee yesterday. Touring up ok, skiing down was a touch tricky, very hard frozen crust that kept breaking through in places, still looks like we will be in for a bit more fresh this week, and they were busy making snow up there during the day too Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kooky, Wish I'd read this last night, just ski toured Zauch and yes the crust was fun. Though there were some nice patches of powder and lower down was fun skiing on 10cm of soft snow, I really quite enjoyed it though my skis are screaming at me for a service now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos, lol....was "interesting" to say the least!!

Just seen Planai has opened today !! Lot´s of fab pictures un their FB side Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's a link to a rather cheesy report on the first day of skiing on the Planai.
http://www.planai.at/winter/de/planai_aktuell/News.html?viewPageDetails_ID=12276
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, nothing "cheesy" about that report - it is a standard publicity report for this sort of thing! Nice photos and a local celeb. Good copy to be honest.

Are they the first non-glacier resort to open then?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue, cheesy is my opinion thank you!
snow report
Well no snow this week, just nice sunny autumn days with a freeze overnight. The planai has managed to keep one lift running each day since last weekend for skiing. Not tried it myself, will wait until next weekend when the season pass starts, hopefully some more snow by then but forecast not looking promising at the moment but maybe a trip to a glacier.
snow report
Another snowless week. Continuing the theme of high pressure weather with some fohn wind chucked in for good measure, so a little warmer at the moment. Set to cool off again soon but maintaining settled clear weather. Season passes started as of yesterday, so purchased the family passes today and drove up Planai (Schladming) to Onkle Willys Hutte (which is open) from where you can ski on to the one open piste served by an 8 man chair. Given that the piste has been open everyday for 2 weeks and is mainly man made snow it was rather good. The weather was warm at around 13 degrees, was like pleasant spring skiing, the snow was complete on piste, the run has a wide carving section at the top a steep and slightly bumped middle and a soft flattish run out to the queue-less lift. The top is around 1900m the bottom 1600m. Is there any other lift served skiing available in Europe at or below this altitude at the moment? (not counting the UK fridges)

Wasn't actually as busy as the photo suggest, just that everyone wanted to be in my photo.
snow report
waynos, Oooh, I can see Ramsau from there. We are off there in January and I am really looking forward to it. I will be happier when it's all white!
ski holidays
waynos, nice pic. Keep doing the snow dance!!! snowHead
latest report
Just read this article that says some of the Austrian ski team were training at Reiteralm (Schladming) today and will again tomorrow.
Looks like they have opened a lift or two just for race training. There's been a covering of man made for a few weeks up there.
http://www.skionline.ch/index.php?section=news&cmd=details&newsid=27560&teaserId=26

No change in weather around here. Clear sunny days, warm in the sun, cool in the shade. Set to get a little colder from tomorrow so hopefully the schnee machines can start up, if they can then more piste will open up pretty soon. This calm weather has probably been welcomed around here as there's stacks of building projects going on including the completion of the Planai station in town. Still looks a long way off finishing. there's an concert planned for 4th Dec
on the roof of the new underground car park, which is still a building site. They are also constructing the "skygate" a steel framed arch that will project over the final slope coming into town. The arch will contain a viewing platform, mainly for vips and tv cameras, should give an ace view of the ski racers coming over the finish line. I'm sure this will not be ready for Dec, looks like they have been having problems getting the complex steel work together. There's also a concrete roof coming off the existing planai station that wraps around the back of the stadium car park, sites about 40 foot high, looks very impressive. Would look a lot nicer with a dump of fresh snow on top Very Happy

webcams for Reiteralm, can see the strip of race training snow at the top.
http://www.ski-reiteralm.at/de/winter/service/info-box/webcams
snow conditions
from http://www.ski-reiteralm.at/de/winter/service/info-box/webcams click on "Bergstation 6er Sesselbhan" and you may spot some of the austrian ski team in action.
snow report
"Up ahead in the distance I can see a glimmering light" YES SNOW machines are back on, can see the lights up the mountain. Never thought I'd get excited about man made snow but mother nature is not delivering very well.First time in a few weeks it's been colder enough.
snow report
Well the glimmering lights didn't stay on for long. seems to be a constant temp inversion with the valley staying freezing all day in the shade whilst air temps not dropping below freezing higher up. Popped out for a quick ski on the planai this morning, the one lift and piste are still holding up very well, the piste a little narrower than last week. Unlike last Sunday the temps were a little cooler with the snow freezing overnight so made for hard pack with a spot of ice here and there. Quite busy with kids ski clubs and desperate skiers looking for a fix. Onkle Willy's Hutte is open which is very nice to sit out on the terrace in the warm sun and admire the views after a hard hours ski. The Apres ski was starting up as we left, a band and some kind of season kick off promo thing for the local mountain huts.

View from inside the "sky toilet" - only one sort of dump happening around here any time soon.

Off to ride up to mid station of Planai soon and come down part of the the MTB trail and then some forest tracks back to town. My as well make use of the clear weather and keep the legs spinning.
ski holidays
waynos, Re the sky toilet - I do like a room with a view! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Just a quick note to say here in the Hochkönig we are having the same rather naff, (it must be said) warm weather and sunny days which have been sitting over the Alps now for a while, this is good news for us in so much that our renovations can continue apace outside, but not such great news for the snow hungry amongst us. The folk in the village who know a thing or two about winters, seem to be saying last week of Nov, first week of Dec will be the start of winter this year, so fingers crossed.

On a separate note, we have just put up our very own webcam of the Hochkönig slopes (taken from our terrace) so when the snow does come you will be able to see how much etc. We will try and move it around a bit so when we have the 80cms or so (we hope!) in December, you can see it in detail. The address is http://www.hauswasserbauer.com/hwb-webcam-2/ we only have it on in the daylight hours at the moment, when it snows we will leave it on all night! Laughing
ski holidays
Looked out the window this morning and lots of fresh snow about! Man made, not natural. Snow pumping out on to the lower slopes, including slopes into Schladming town for the first time, still not colder enough higher up.
snow report
No real change around here, sunny day after sunny day. Staying cold in the shade, snow machines working overnight until around 10am.
Photo from today looking up from town to the final piste into Schladming. There's a piste basher bust bashing towards the top, not sure they will open this up but would be nice.

Reiterlam looks to have a decent trip of pretend snow and is scheduled to open this weekend. Has been open for race training only for a couple of weeks. Not sure there's really enough for public skiing. Forecast not looking any better, maybe a change at the weekend.Fingers and skis all crossed hoping for snow.
ski holidays
A pic I got of the bottom of Hauser Kaibling this morning. Looks almost like winter, unlike further up the hill.

Basher is out grooming the slopes into Schladming again this morning. I hear Reiteralm has cancelled a Europa Mens race due to take place this weekend.

Read on another forum that maybe wagrain can open a run this weekend?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, looks like the snow cannons are doing a great job. I wish they'd flog the cannons just as much in Gastein! Maybe they are, I just can't see them on the cams.

Kersh
snow conditions
Spent 2 days up on Kitzsteinhorn, lovely conditions and pretty empty, these shots were taken at about 11.30am. Interesting to see that on Schmittenhohe and Kaprun they are making snow but it seems to start only at the mid station and go to the valley, looked most odd!But they are ready, when that next dump comes, the ground is frozen soild.
ski holidays
hmmmm...picture not loaded, I will try via media zone.
ski holidays
latest report
Schladming to open final slope in to town from tomorrow, BUT only for race clubs! Not happy, been watching from home the piste bashers getting the slope ready, thought it would open, but race clubs only, need to have words with someone.
latest report
Got out to play for the first 'lift-assosiated' skiing this season on the Dachstein Glacier.
Conditions were very good. Obviously hard-packed but a grainy surface (probably from overnight ice) meant it was a pleasure!

http://youtube.com/v/M5P-qbzn86I
kooky, temp is inversed.. hot on top with a cold bottom! Also, means the ski schools have somewhere to teach!
snow report
flangesax, Ooh thanks for that. Very nice indeed. Keep those reports coming.
snow report
flangesax, how man runs do they have up on the Dachstein Glacier?

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
Kersh, Five lifts with a variety of reds and blues. It is relatively flat and has good high level cross-country training loipe. When the snow is good some excellent touring routes start off here. The Hallstatt route is brilliant for example.
ski holidays
Following on from Kersh's question how does Dachstein glacier compare with the glacier at Kaprun ? I've spent an afternoon at the former but never the latter. Definitely will look to get onto that Hallstatt route this winter.
ski holidays
Speedster, it doesn't to be blunt. The only advantage is that there are not as many people usually trying to get up there when the snow is bad elsewhere, but the queues will still be fairly extensive if that is the only skiing available (which I doubt very much). The other problem is that the access cable car is fairly exposed so if the winds pick up then you are left standing at the bottom as they close the cable car.

The Dachstein off-piste runs require excellent snow and a local guide if you have never been up there. The run down to Hallstatt definitely benefits from having some local knowledge with you to keep you on track. You also need to have arranged transport back to the other side of the mountain range as it is quite a long trip back!
snow report
The main route from Dachstein northwards is to Krippenstein, more or less marked and pisted. There's another route the takes you to Hallstatt which probably requires a guide and involves a walk out. For transport back to Schladming from Krippenstein (Obertraun) the Planai lift company run a bus service a couple of days a week. Best to pre-book, if in Schladming just go to the Kassa and ask, otherwise info on the website planai.at. If you do end up in Hallstatt you can take the boat across the lake to the train station or I guess taxi to Obertraun to get the planai bus.

Some strange stuff in the sky this morning, I think they call it cloud.And even stranger site out the window....skiers! The bottom run into schladming is open for race clubs only, accessed via the new 2 man chair (non-public use chair). One guy ski touring up, may join him later.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy