Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Ski Amade Snow Report: 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Day off the planks today, been for a walk at the base of the Dachstein. The day started off sunny, but son clouded over and by midday was snowing. Quite warm still, +3 at 1000m, but wet snow coming down quite steadily and forecast to cool down and keep snowing overnight so hopefully some nice fresh pow for tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Finally got a day skiing in with my son who wasn´t away racing Shocked Went to Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl and was very surprised how quiet it was considering it is Fasching week. Pistes were all in really great condition, very grippy, and as Waynos said we started out in blue sky but it has been snowing now up there since about lunchtime, very windy too again at about 1800meters. Seen plenty of people in fancy dress already, Tuesday should be good fun Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got go-pro video in from off piste session at Schladming a few days ago. Was very nice powder playing in the trees.

http://youtube.com/v/GNLBrlAzKOQ

Snowing lightly this morning
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice video waynos.

The weather today looks amazing accross Ski Amade! Sun is out in Gastein!

Kersh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kersh,

Im in Bad Hofgastein from Sat for a week

Cant wait Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A bluebird day, started nice, cold and sunny, warmed up during the day but only just above freezing lower down. Fasching today (pancake day to us Brits) which is an unoffical holiday in these parts and brings out the crowds in big numbers. So was a good day to head away from the piste and don the skins with flangesax. We did need to use the lifts and there were q's which is so rare around here. The tour was from the top bowl of Planai, only 15mins of uptime to get 700m vertical of untracked powder through mainly forest clearings, with some nice steep pitches. The snow conditions were excellent, with 20 cms of cold powder, completly untouched, a little crust in a few sun exposed spots but mainly a shady run. It was so good we did it twice!

Planning on ski touring this tomorrow morning. The Lackenkogel (2051m) above Altenmarkt,
viewable from A10 autobahn coming South towards Radstadt and Flachau.

http://youtube.com/v/u5-5jxOXHNc

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 21-02-12 22:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos, load your video in HD this time. I can wait! snowHead

Kersh
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kersh, I'd love you upload HD but internet connection sucks, probably as we're living miles from civilisation. We move back into town in a couple of weeks, means faster internet and bars I can walk to so I can start drinking again and be forced to be a passive smoker.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another bluebird spring like day. Did a ski tour at the Larkenkogel, Altenmarkt with a few friends and two touring dogs, see the video! Didn't go to the summit as hoped due to the avalanche report, the final ascent was the in the high risk altitude and aspect, wind slab on dodgy surface from last week. Didn't really matter as had a great 2.5 hour tour up through the woods and open plateau. Very much spring weather, feeling very warm in the sun whilst motoring upwards. The snow was still in great condition, a varied mix of powder, sun melted, light crust and thick surface hoar crystals. The route down took us through open faces, steep open woods, very thick woods, forest roads and a great final run across a meadow directly to a friends house for a nice cup of char.

A small video of the day with some great shot of the dogs pounding the pow wow.

http://youtube.com/v/I0EbLqA0Fl8
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great photos!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waynos, great video. I felt really sorry for the dogs in all that deep powder!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Waynos, looks like you are taking full advantage of what I assume are being called once in a decade'ish type conditions ? What are the locals saying ? Also does anyone know what dates they start closing all the lifts in Ski Amade ? Feeling the need to hit the slopes again but weddings have taken care of March so would need to be April.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Speedster, Locals say once every 7 years conditions, best I've had in 6 years of coming to this area, though had some other pretty good years. For closing dates check www.skiamade.co.uk but I think most areas mid April

A little rain last night, hit the slopes for first lift, piste were covered in frozen rain! Quite warm so got better as morning moved on, stopped skiing at midday nut guess slushy in afternoon. Plenty of snow around so no worries about some warm weather and good to settle the snow down off piste. Some light rain / snow forecast tomorrow and then heavier snow Sun / Mon and cooler then returning to warmer spring weather again. So changeable.

Kooky - I'm out with the flying Scotsman of Reitdorf tomorrow, meeting at Pichl at 8:45 if you're around, will be a piste blast session. I hear you and flying Scotsman were in bar with Herman on Tuesday, not sure if same bar. Do you know the Scotsman?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, thanks but I came back to Germany this weekend........good luck trying to do some fast sking on piste this weekend Laughing I gave up yesterday it´s too warm to get decent speed up.

Yep, was in the Gipflstadl bar right at the top of the Mozart lift with Hermann, we watched the Moscow Parallel slalom there then did a hut crawl down at about 7pm, I may have spoken to The Flying Scotsman but I can´t remember Embarassed If he remembers talking to a tiddly person dressed as a Kangaroo up there, that was me Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kooky, You weren't the only one. I was in a different mountain range to the Amade area but I made the effort... hold on... what's this Fasching thing... this is what I always wear for off piste Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Scarpa, that pic will give me nightmares! Top effort
snow conditions
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p25975-me-and-hermann-20-02-1.html

OK, here´s my effort then!

Scarpa is not a natural blond everyone Madeye-Smiley Oh, and I think you need to wear that for the EoSB race Blush *come and point and laugh Schuss*
snow conditions
kooky, Nice pic. I think I need to introduce you to the scotsman, you'll enjoy skiing with him.

Light snow last night and light snowfall continuing this morning. Skied at Zauchansee for the morning, 10cms of fresh snow. As we left in early afternoon snow was setting in and getting harder. Now back near Schladming and snowing hard with temp just below zero at 1000m Very Happy Tomorrow should be a powder day Very Happy
snow conditions
Scarpa, I can't believe you went out looking like that.......

..... matching your skis is soooooooo last season Toofy Grin

kooky, Better late than never but..... ( /\ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing )
latest report
Lots of snow this evening!... enought to recat the roads in a good 4 inches or so... quite windy though so watch out tomorrow!
snow report
Skied at Zauchansee again today. Awoke to a nice layer of fresh snow and snowing lightly. As I drove up to Zauch the sun was out on the lower slopes and just a few powder tracks had been laid down. Around 20-25cms of fresh snow and nice and cold. Wonderful powder skiing, a few thinner spots from the wind but generally very good. Pretty quiet though must be Dutch hols judging by the number of yellow plates in the car park. Set to stay cool for a couple of days and even some more snow forecast tonight. Will hopefully get out for some more powder tomorrow, flangesax, fancy the hidden wonders of Hochwurzen?
ski holidays
Came out to do some bumps on planai but bug-ger me they're filled in. Another 10cms of fresh on top of yesterday's 20. Seen 2 tw@ts ski off piste right on wind exposed lip and kick off 100m wide slide, only 10to 15cm layer they skied out okay. Still snowing, lots of untracked to be had.
Nice snow down an old t-bar line
ski holidays
Awoke to rain, a few txt with friends as to whether worth skiing. I'm not a fair weather skier and the snow line was about 1400m so worth a punt. Skied the morning at haus near schladming. Gondola up so didn't get wet, then onwards to the summit. Cloudy and snowing, tentatively traversed into the south west face, first tracks. Took a few turns to get the feel of the heavy snow but by the time I hit the tree line was flowing very nice.a good 20cms of educational powder, getting progressively wetter , nice until about 1500m. Did a few circnuits of this then blasted down on piste to mcDs in the valley, plus seven here. Forecast for sunny warm days then snow from next tues, fingers crossed.
snow report
Well the first official day of spring has sprung. Was the first real warm and sunny day. The snow did freeze overnight, clear skies so hard packed out of the sun to start but soon lovely slushy bumps appeared. Ripped it up at Zauchansee with Mr Flangesax, kept low, kept edging, kept flexing, kept extending, kept attacking.

The view from the morning drive from Unteral toward Rohrmoos, Dachstein looking glorious in the background

Finished the afternoon on the balcony of the Tenne Haus in Schladming, overlooking the World Cup finish area. Preparations are in full swing now as you can see from photo below. They're covering the surface car park with straw and a thick layer of snow, this will provide a larger stopping area than for the night slalom as I assume the downhill & GS racers will need a tad more space to stop. The surface car park is normally ploughed to get rid of the snow, so it's not being trucked in due to not being enough white stuff around. The final piste in town were closed off today, whether that's until the comp is finished I'm not sure as that's 3 weeks off.

A couple of days ago before spring they were hosing large quantities of water on to the race piste, I wonder if that was of any use now the temps have gone up?
latest report
Has anyone got any updates on the weather near flachau/ Wagrain at the moment and what the snow is like. Im heading out the 1st april for 7 days to wagrain. Hoping the snow will still be good!
latest report
samuelbanks, Loads of snow, no need to worry. A little snowfall today but not much. Did a ski tour at Kelinarl yesterday, just up the valley from Wagrain. There's still 1 metre or more on the rooftops in town. Was a glorious sunny day yesterday, great ski tour, ski down was dust on crust but still fun. THe Hut at the top does fantastic choc cake, worth the 90mins skiing up.

Some snow still left

Darn good cake to be had here
latest report
Im hiring ski's and im debating between the economy skis and the Discovery skis. Last time i had a real tricky time with economy and i am just wondering if the Discovery are much better?
ski holidays
Did a fantastic ski tour last night. A monthly full moon ski tour at a ski hill near Schladming, a few huts open for the night. We set off at 6:30pm in moderate snowfall, so no moon shine. A steady stream of ski tourers heading up, the snowfall got quite heavy later on, after 2 hours and 800m vertical, we arrived at the hut. Kooky and OH had saved us a space at a table, the hut was rammed with people. After a few drinks and decent hot grub we set off downwards. What a laugh skiing down in the dark, just lit by the head torch, the moon did make a brief appearance. Very nice piste conditions with a few cms of fresh snow on top. Strange at one point looking back uphill to see about 10 bright spots coming down the hill heading directly for me. Got back to the car just before midnight, what a great experience, a very locals event, a few were surprised that english people could ski uphill. Got back to Schladming and snowing here, looks like a few cms in town overnight so maybe 10cms higher up. Next tour in 4 weeks, look forward to it.

I hear a few of the world cup racers are training at Reiteralm, looks like Schladming is all set for the racing next week. Snow conditions are good with some more snow forecast for Sunday & Monay http://www.bergfex.com/hauserkaibling/wetter/ and then clear weather, hopefully not too warm but all racing is in the morning so with clear nights the snow will freeze. Downhill training starts Monday, I assume the racing will be on Eurosport.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Greetings! I haven't popped in here since January when we took our last trip to Ski Amade. Last trip was just me and my three kids, but my husband has returned from a long deployment (US military) and we are headed out on a family ski trip to Ski Amade next week! We stayed at the lovely Haus Susanne last trip and are excited to be staying there again. My children can't wait to see the little ones at Haus Susanne and we can't forget the dog too.

So from browsing this page of weather reports, it looks like the snow is still good down there.

My other concern? The crowds due to the FIS World Cup races. How will it be? I have NO idea at all how I overlooked that the races would be going on during our trip because I actually follow FIS downhill racing and I didn't put the two things together - my schedule and the race schedule. Oooops! Now it appears I may have a chance to see a race and see some of my favorite skiers. That is if my husband and kids are willing to give up some skiing time to go watch a race. How is the atmosphere in the town during the WC festivities? We attended some of the races in Garmisch last year and the atmosphere was great!
ski holidays
Waynos, can you recommend any guides or clubs to tour/go off piste with in the schladming region?I have skied the area quite a bit and visit fairly often, and am keen to get on some touring out there. I did tour on Ebenschlag with my cousin some weeks ago but they dont get out much so I am looking for some options, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
waynos, it was great eh!! Love those tours in the dark up through the forests, hope you are going to make the next one, April 7th...........the" chips "are down wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
novafan, The racing is all at Planai, Schladming so will not effect the skiing outside of here. Not sure how busy around Schladming, probably not that bad. The stadium and race tracks all look ready, I think from gondola mid station you'll get to see some of the GS and DH without needing a ticket. Lower down ticket only, cheaper ones (reds) for walking up the hill.

Dnh, I've never used a guide around these parts, just friends that are locals and my own exploring. Most ski schools will offer some guiding, the common tour around here is from Dachstein glacier to Krippenstein - not difficult or even interesting skiing and no skins required though a few uphill walks. Do it for the scenery on a nice day. There's also the Edelgreiss route off the Dachstein, most ski schools will of heard of this. Very interesting to get into the ski line and very nice steep powder run, though again no skinning required. You could try http://www.alpenverein.at/ if you're a member they do free guided tours most Sundays. Drop us a PM when your in town, I may be able to show you around a bit if there's some powder around.

kooky, chips, yum, yum. Hmm April 7th, hopefully I'll still be around, getting close to the end.

Today we had more dust on crust though in one or two spots deeper enough snow to be smooth and fun. Played at Haus, did a few lines off the summit with variable snow. Not enough fresh to call it powder, probably better it goes through thaw / freeze cycle a couple of time to get some spring snow. Here's a video from today, I'm playing with a new gopro and today I had it on a ski pole. Great fun for me to watch probably boring for anyone else.

http://youtube.com/v/YtZAT99l2qw
ski holidays
First day skiing from Maria Alm yesterday.
Higher poor vis, generally good snow but occasional bits of real blue ice poking through, lower down snow becoming heavy but vis OK. Supposed to be getting warmer as the week goes on.
snow conditions
Two days of rain and snow. Snowline around 1200-1400m. Went hunting fresh snow this morning on the Planai, found around 5-10cms, quite nice in places but visibility was bad due to clouds rolling in. Also quite limited piste open due to the world cup. Today's ladies DH practise was called off due to vis. Plenty of snow on the race piste so the rain will not stop any events but with the return of high pressure and the sun will be warm and soft going. Any way back to my skiing..at around lunchtime got word from flangesax that more snow at Zauchansee so hit the road and went there. Indeed there was a bit more fresh snow, probably 15cms, quite wind compacted in places and wet lower down. Found loads of untracked snow, vis was again not good higher up and even lower down towards end of session the vis went, but great fun and keep you true type snow. Not knee deep powder but still good to be getting fresh lines before spring arrives. Will post some video later, so stay tuned to see flangesax in action.

Looks like Tauplitz, just north east of Schladming has received more fresh snow (over 20cms) so may head there tomorrow. Never skied there before, anyone any tips on off piste areas to head for? Stuff under of near lift lines or obvious bowls.
snow report
Not strictly Ski Amade, but...
Zell am See today - very heavy below the lower middle station, excellent snow high up and some lovely soft slushy lumps in the middle. Visibility high up very variable. Raining in Maria Alm when we got back. FYI, the main road into Zell from the Maria Alm direction has been blocked all day and we had to drive round the far side of the lake, not sure why.
Sounds like we should be heading for Zauchensee tomorrow!
ski holidays
Some video of the fresh snow conditions today as Zauchansee.

http://youtube.com/v/QOSp_tzc4uE

Mostly video of my skis as camera was pointing down too much, doh!
ski holidays
Decided instead to stay local and skied from Maria Alm along the Hochkonig. There had been some fresh snow high up overnight ?5cm and sno conditions high up remained good right to the end of the day. The same could not be said lower down, which became very heavy with slush.
snow report
Was planning on chasing spring powder at Tauplitz yesterday but the morning was still a case of low clouds, so with poor vis at a resort I don't know decided safer to head to Zauchansee. A bit more fresh snow overnight filled in yesterdays tracks, but temps were around zero at 2000m so heavy snow, also wind compacted in places and in other places wind crust. Despite the variable conditions we found some fantastic soft untracked snow, when we got in tune with the snow it was almost as good as powder, very rewarding. Though one line we did in the morning was glorious soft snow when we returned in the afternoon it had frozen on top and had a crust, 700m vertical of breakable crust, very exciting.

http://youtube.com/v/I-iYEf8y7HM

Off to watch the world championship downhill, catch it on eurosport. Clear skies, I think piste should have frozen overnight, so okay conditions.
latest report
Got excellent position to watch men's downhill, starts in 5 min
snow report
What a mean last gate
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy