Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Ski Amade Snow Report: 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of pics from the snow today from top of Hochwurzen, Schladming

Notice the snow machines are on.

Wotsit anyone?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 7-10-11 22:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waynos, Oh great pics. Get some early turns in.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi waynos Smile

Wish I was there. Can't wait to play in the snow again. It beats the rainy weather we are having here in the UK.
great pics.

Moonshine Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moonshine, and more pics from today on the Planai. Had a walk around the top with my son. A good 40cm of snow. Did some avalanche bleep training with my boy. Still snowing hard, ski tour being planned for tomorrow Smile Been great to be playing in the snow the last couple of days, so much fun even without skis on.

Unkle Willys hutte and snow machine blasting away, will they open up soon? They say on website as soon as conditions allow.

A nice pic showing the snow depth.

My son training with avi bleep.

A brief moment of blue sky
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It just gets better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Waynos, it is getting better indeed. It just looks WUNDERBAR. Very Happy

Really jeaslous now. Hope you have a good ski safari tomorrow.

What is Uncle willys huette used for?

Moonshine Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moonshine, Onkel Willi's Hütte is a very ancient, almost original mountain restaurant. Originally it was either a forester's hut or maybe a summer alm hut for the cowherds up on the hill in summer. When I first went to Schladming it was operating as a mountain restaurant and we are talking over 30 years ago here wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue,
thank's for that. Thought it might be a restaurant or gaststaette. It looks so idyllic up there. Very Happy
Moonshine
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's divided into lots of "areas" and has a upstairs and a downstairs - downstairs is where they smoke and upstairs is open! Choose your table with care if you can. But the food is great and the atmosphere is excellent.

I reckon that these days it is probably not all that authentic any more, but quirky has its good points as well Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moonshine, for the history of onkle willys see http://www.onkelwillyshuette.at/onkel-willys-huette-chronicle.htm

The son of of the guy, Thaler, that opened the place is my apartment landlord for the coming winter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Waynos, Smile

thank you for the link. Very interesting and I like the mane Onkel Willy's Huette. I will have a look in if we ever go skiing there. It looks really nice.

Hope you have a good safari today.

Anyway Waynos, what do you do as a job in Schladming? Hope you don't mind me asking?

Moonshine
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moonshine, you can't really miss it if you go up the Planai lift as you can see it from the exit from the top lift station! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spent morning ski touring at zauchansee.wow, excellent powder in October.
Turned up in car park, just a couple of cars around,a few other
Skiers. nice and cold with on and off snowfall. went up about 500 vertical meters.
Between 30 to 40 cms of cold fresh powder,no other tracks to be seen.

Will post some pics later, though a fellow snowhead lost his camera that
Contained potentially some decent video of moi in the pow.he is under
Orders to walk back up the route later this week when lower down
The snow will have melted.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Orders are only to be listened to....
snow conditions
waynos, flangesax, Laughing Laughing Looking forward to the pics!!!

Kersh
snow conditions
Here's some pics from today mostly of flangesax.

The long slog up from base.

Our upwards destination was closed!

The first very first turns for these 2 snowheads for season 11/12

Ben letting lose, ski wise not backside wise.

Air time, Is that snot?

A great way to open the season, I wonder how long until conditions are this good again?
I may get another tour in tomorrow morning but after tomorrow it's set to warm up.
Hopefully it will either get cold again or get warm enough to get the snow off the mtb downhill.
snow report
Very jealous
latest report
Quote:

Is that snot?

No!... and nor is it a new tash!

Sorry about the lack of Waynos shots!... My camera went walkies although Kooky is trying to convince me she found it up there this afternoon!

A slide show vid of the fun!

http://youtube.com/v/-g6rMk6dO-Y
ski holidays
flangesax, Kooky is winding you up, you need to walk up the mountain when the snow clears. One more rather different photo. Just looked out the window and it's a clear moonlit night. The Dachstein is all lit up and looks very cool. Just found a long exposure "star" setting on my compact camera, pretty good results.

snow report
v. nice!
ski holidays
waynos and flangesax

Wow, what a lovely day and fun you must have had. Love the pics and the clip on utube.
Flangesax, it does look like you have a tash?! Madeye-Smiley
Waynos, the pics of the dachstein mountains are great. I am very jealous now and wish I had that on my doorstep. I can't wait to get to Austria and get some skiing done. Smile
Moonshine Very Happy
ski holidays
Awoke to heavy sleet in town, fields turning white just above town so thought if I drove up to top
of 'basic jet' on Hochwurzen at around 1200m then snow conditions would be perfect. So after
dropping son off at Kindergarten drove on up on increasingly snowy roads on summer tyres,
but at least it's a straight road to the to the top. Well wasn't actually much colder so snow was
coming down hard and wet. As I skied toured up the snow seemed pretty good, was planning on
getting to the top some 600m higher but after about 20mins it started raining! Was
getting warmer going up, so maybe a temperature inversion as it was clear skies
for part of the night, also forecast to warm up during the day. The race was on, but
I kept going another 20 mins and was getting very damp and the snow was
transforming from powder to wet heavy snow and clogging up on the
skins, making uphill progress very tiring. So stopped after doing only about 300-350
vertical metres. Took awhile to dry off and get ready for the descent. Was a tad apprehensive
what with the now wet snow and being somewhat alone. Anyway was no need to worry
the legs remembered what to do.

Very educational experience skiing in wet powder but very rewarding. Only took 15mins to get
down, a couple of stops to dry things up. Got back to the carp park a very wet but happy skier,
all before 10am. A very cautious drive back down the road, was a thick layer of slush. Still hammering
it down in town, very wet sleet. The snow machines have been on for 3 days now on all 4 local mountains
at the top 300m or so. Must be trying to get a base down but set to warm up quite a bit so I wonder if the
snow will last til it cools down again. Must cost a small fortune to pump snow for it to disappear. What a
great 4 days playing in the snow. I best crack on with the some work now.

Wet powder, had be fully focused to cut these tracks.
snow conditions
waynos, Great report. You've successfully distracted me from my work. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Got back to the carp park

was it really that wet?
latest report
something fishy going on...
snow conditions
What a difference a day makes. Warm at +15, the area I ski toured yesterday is all grass again.

flangesax, when you going up to find your camera?
snow report
waynos, should be able to find it today! It was 15°C here when I drove into work at 06.00

When I left for work yesterday it was just above 0°C at my place and already 11°C in Munich. Weird weather patterns right now! Winter is due to return at the weekend I've read.

In 2003 we had snow lying on the ground on the weekend of 3rd October after a week of very warm days. I got caught out with summer tyres on the Tauernautobahn and was bricking all the way home!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, has found his camera thanks to the snow melting. He's done a grand job of putting together a little video of the ski tour we did last Sunday @ Zauchansee. Nice tune "A long way to the top.....". Downhill ski action at about 3:30mins.

http://youtube.com/v/97GvUd_unSQ
latest report
waynos, flangesax Great vid team. Bring on the season. Some of us will have to make do with a fridge next week. Sad

Keep those reports coming.
snow report
Ski Amade looks awesome!
snow conditions
Looks like it was really heavy going, but probably more fun than I was having that day
ski holidays
Just been out up planai mountain for blast down the mountain bike downhill.
Last weekend gondola running. Very cold night, hard frost, a tad worried about
Ice. at the top snow machines running and dumping snow on the bike
Trail. They are very keen to get snow down. still a few patches of natural
Higher up, made for an interesting ride down. the ride down was great fun
Probably last of season.
ski holidays
A whole sequence of very cold nights coming in means that the ground will finally cool down enough for the next snowfall to stick! Getting the base fixed early is the key to having as long a season as possible. and it protects the pastures as well.

Toofy Grin
snow report
Brilliant photos and vids! So jealous!

I had a very nice meal in Onkel Willis a couple of years ago, lovely old place.
latest report
I had a great meal in Onkel Willi's last year - hope to be back there again this year!
snow report
All the snow of a week ago is pretty much gone lower down but the Dachstein glacier has held on to some of the 1m of snow it received. Was up there this afternoon. A stunning sunny autumn day perfect for walking around a glacier. Walked along a cat track to the seethalerhutte, perched on the south edge of the dachstein. There's a via ferata that ends next to the hut, I only saw the top few metres of steel cable as didn't have the balls to look over the edge, some 700m of cliff. There's a couple of drag lifts open since last weeks snow though most people skiing were pro teams of cross country skiers. I saw a few ski down a steep blue run on cross country skis better than many alpine skiers! Still quite a few crevasses to be filled in yet as you can see from the pics, so ski touring looks off limits for some time yet.

Looking north (salzburg way) from seethalerhutte down on to glacier

Don't fall in

View from the edge. In the distance you can see some strips of snow on Hochwurzen and Reiteralm from the snow blowers.
snow report
waynos, Great pics. Liked the view back to Hochwurzen. Hope you get some more turns in soon.
ski holidays
Did an excellent mountain bike ride down Rossband yesterday. This is the hill just north of Radstadt, summit is about 1800m. Had a small squad of us bundle all their bikes in my van for the drive up (being lazy). An excellent path down through the woods, had to contend with trees, roots, rocks, mud, electric fences, barbed wire fences and logging debris covered paths. Patches of schnee at the top, another lovely sunny day.flangesax, consumed my spare inner tube again, less strudels for flangesax I thinks. Afterwards another twisty drive up the hill to fetch my van. An excellent biking session, will it be the last of the season, snow due this evening.
snow report
Oi!... yes your inner-tube stocks have saved me twice!.... strudel... no chance!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy