Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Ski Amade Snow Report: 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
waynos, I think on one day the Schaldders bus does a return from Halstatt via Obertraun... I seem to remember the ticket booth offered both options for the bus.
Speedster, Have a look at the video... 'cos basically what you see is what you get... with an added little bit at the bottom.
There is a red run off of the glacier which is as snow reliant as anywhere else within Ski Amadé (non-glacial).... not too much variety in the pisted runs though... IMO they are all blue with an occasional steep start... good to get out though!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks guys. was up there last season and had fun skiing around the piste but it is pretty limited so soon was checking out the ice caves. Earlier this summer I found myself in Hallstatt on a motorbike and thought it must be an awesome run all the way down, worth the effort of getting a guide and hacking it back on bus/boat/train etc. Am in a similar boat to Kersh as will be in Bad Gastein from mid month and with weather predictions still looking pretty dry suddenly back up plans need to be made. although i did see a comment about genoa lows on another thread so heres hoping that changes soon Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From http://www.facebook.com/Planai "GOOD NEWS zum Wochenbeginn: Wir erweitern unser Angebot! Ab kommenden Freitag werden auf der Planai die FIS-Abfahrt von der Planai-Mittelstation bis ins Tal sowie die Piste rund um den Sessellift Rohrmoos I in Betrieb gehen. Und natürlich geht auch der Betrieb auf der Märchenwiese uneingeschränkt weiter. Ihr seht, unsere Schneemänner wollen nur das Beste für euch Smile
GOOD NEWS for the week: we broaden our offer! From next Friday, the FIS Downhill race of the planai middle station will be on the planai up in the Valley and the slopes around the chair lift Rohrmoos I commissioned. And of course the operation to the fairy meadow goes on fully. You can see, our snowmen want only the best for you: (Translated by Bing)"

A small irony the first day the gondola will be running this season from town marks the day I move apartments, from one that is 100m from gondola to one that is far from walking distance. Good to see there'll be some more piste open, from mid to valley is a decent run, 600m vertical. The Rohrmoos I is a slow old 2 man, on to a blue and red. VEry strange with lower lifts opening first, the advantage of low altitude during an inversion. The forecast is starting to come around for the weekend onwards, fingers crossed.

Reiteralm also opens on Friday, again with limited piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Speedster, fingers crossed it will be ok! If not, there's always Haeggbloms!!! snowHead

See you soon!

Cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos, "GOOD NEWS zum Wochenbeginn: Wir erweitern unser Angebot! Ab kommenden Freitag werden auf der Planai die FIS-Abfahrt von der Planai-Mittelstation bis ins Tal sowie die Piste rund um den Sessellift Rohrmoos I in Betrieb gehen. Und natürlich geht auch der Betrieb auf der Märchenwiese uneingeschränkt weiter. Ihr seht, unsere Schneemänner wollen nur das Beste für euch"

GOOD NEWS for the start of the week! We are increasing our offer (to you)! From next Friday the FIS-Downhill run will be open from the Planai Middle Station right down into the valley, as well as the pistes around the Rohrmoos I chairlift. In addition, of course, the Märchenwiese lift continues to operate without any limitiations whatsoever. As you can see, our "snowmen" only want to do their best for you!

That Bing translation, like all the google and other translation software/machines, was too painful to read!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As usual no new snow, hopefully that situation will change next week. Tomorrow a few more lifts and piste open around the area including the main Planai gondola, with skiing available from mid station to valley, obviously man made snow. Planning on getting up on first lift for a couple of loops.

Still cold and frosty in the valleys. We moved apartments today from centre of town to Untertal, 10mins drive from town but a different world. Fairly remote and deserted valley. Opposite side of the valley from apartment is completely white, not snow but frost.

The "Planet Planai" this morning. The stage is for a concert at the weekend, the white steel arch is the new "Skygate" - still being built.

A frosty valley - the nearest thing to natural snow so far this season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos,

the frosty valley picture looks beautiful. I am so envious that you have such a good outlook.
Lets hope it will be full of snow this weekend.
Smile
Moonshine
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SNOWING Very Happy

Not much on the ground yet but at least it's falling from the sky. Been watching the snowline come down since daybreak, just turning to snow outside apartment now (1000m). Freezing level forecast to drop throughout the day. Fingers crossed we get a decent amount over the next few days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the Gastein valley webcams are looking a hell of a lot whiter this morning than yesterday Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied at Reiteralm this morning. Almost the first lift up, around 10-15cm of fresh last night. Piste skiing from top to bottom, so over 1000m vert, though by no means all piste open yet. Some very nice skiable powder to the edge of the piste in places. Didn't hit any rocks so all good. As forecast it's started snowing heavy now and set to continue until tomorrow, so hopefully a full on powder fest awaits. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Awesome, thanks for the update Waynos. Arriving in the area in just under 10 days so this snow certainly improves my outlook on things.

Just out of interest - I'm thinking its time to retire my Atomix SX12 ski's and replace with the latest they have to offer ... since Ski Amade is Atomic heartland is there a shop in the area that would carry the biggest range of Atomic ski's ? More so then say the Intersport in Flachau where I bought the SX12's. Or is Intersport as good as it gets ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Speedster, I'd say Intersport in Altenmarkt has a decent range of skis - the ski (toy) shop is at the back, the front building is clothing and bits.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WEBCAM IN FLACHAU - WOO HOOO snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The view today, lots of snowfall

and Dachstein Glacier reporting 43cm in last 24hours
http://www.snowreporter.com/schneeberichte/oesterreich/steiermark/ramsaudachstein.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A short update for the region:

- Hauser Kaibling opens tomorrow
- Planai operates with 6 lifts/pistes from tomorrow
- Altenmarkt opens with a kid lift tomorrow
- Flachau opens with Jet 3 lift tomorrow
- Zauchensee, St. Johann-Alpendorf and Kleinarl open Saturday
snow conditions
kerekip, Flachau Achterjet also open for upload from tomorrow
snow conditions
Thursday skied at Reiteralm, probably 30cms of fresh overnight. Some lovely powder to the sides of the piste, not really much base to go exploring too far off piste but still great to leave some powder tracks.

Friday went for a ski tour at Altenmarkt with my very local guide. Toured up through very scenic meadows, saw some deer, stopped to chat with a local farmer who gave us some further directions for touring up. Carried on up until we got just below the summit on to the closed piste area. All freshly bashed, but that's not what we skinned up for, lots of powder to the side and a few open meadow sections. Glorious sunshine, cold, and 30cms fresh snow. The season has started.

There's a deer on the loose

Not bad views

Some freshies
ski holidays
Went out early this morning to the Planai mountain, local to Schladming. Quite a few lifts and piste open now. Headed to the Mitterhaus area where there's the 8 man chair and a 250m wide piste, well normally, probably 40m wide today, which is enough, snow cover was okay, quite hard packed. A few brown patches around but didn't find any rocks. Valley fog all day today, made for wonderful pics higher up but quite miserable back in the valley. If you're coming out this way there's plenty to ski now and with more snow coming this week conditions will only improve.

ski holidays
waynos, Great reports. Keep them coming.
snow conditions
waynos, Looking good for my trip out on the 7th of January. Keep them coming. snowHead
ski holidays
waynos, looks great! snowHead
ski holidays
I love it when there's fog in the valley. you feel like you're on top of the world! Great pics waynos.
snow conditions
waynos, I saw a couple of deer going up the chairs mid week.
snow conditions
Well actually they were on the ground and I was in the chair but the other way round paints a better mental picture Laughing
latest report
Scarpa, When they got to the top, did they say 'The buck stops here' ? Toofy Grin
latest report
Scarpa, was you drinking more dear schnapps?
snow report
Anyone in Schladming area next week?Iam staying and skiing with my daughter from 13th for a few days?
snow conditions
Anyone in Schladming area next week?Iam staying and skiing with my daughter from 13th for a few days?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, brilliant pics! My hopes are high for next weekend!! snowHead
snow conditions
Kersh, Snow is forecast, so i think you'll have a great time. I went skiing this morning, interesting drive out of the apartment, had some freezing rain last night, roads like ice rinks. Took my very battered, very used but loved pocket rockets for a ski service yesterday, been 2 seasons I think. So picked a good morning to have some sharp edges on a pair of flippy floppy powder skis. Skied locally around Schladming. Headed up for the mitterhaus area where there was a choice of piste covered in ungroomed man made breakable crust or 5cms of fresh snow on top of a thin base. Well with freshly serviced skis there was only one option, the 5cms of fresh snow. Had the offpiste bits to myself. just about enough base and beside the bushes are quite forgiving. I do wonder if a lift company can get sued for leaving man made glue and breakable crust on an open piste? I saw quite a few people wipe out in the stuff. I'm not anti-artificial snow as it serves a great purpose to get the season kicked off and keep it going well into the warm springs but at the same time it can be dangerous stuff when ungroomed or you get blasted blind by it.
snow report
Kersh, One thing that is worrying me is that not much is currently open. Seeing only 8 lifts open on Schlossalm but nothing going down to Bad Gastein. I did see somewhere that Sportgastein is opening up on Saturday. Weather permitting of course. More importantly lets hope Haegies has opened.
ski holidays
Speedster, I think early doors in December it seams the open only parts of the mountain. They did this last year even when there was loads of snow. For example, on Monday Jungeralm on the Stubnerkogel was open, yesterday it was closed and they opened up more of Schlossalm. I'm quite supprised Dorfgastein hasn't opened yet as they often open first with all their snow making. I'll check the web again later but I doubt their doing this through lack of snow.

While I don't think there's loads and loads of snow there, I think by the weekend they'll be much more open. What time are you arriving on Saturday? See you then!

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions
Major websites predicting snow over the next few days... local ones saying no snow but wind Sad
snow report
kersh, i'm arriving friday. flight touches down at 7am Munich so looking to make it onto the slopes by lunch time. will text you when there.
snow report
Speedster, ok, I doubt we'll be in BG until about 2pm so unlikely we'll ski Friday. If you go Apres, let me know and we'll come and find you. I think we'll be going out for dinner too so come along if you want to join us.

Catch up with soon.

Cheers
snow conditions
Just got back from an early morning airport run. Left salzburg and snowing lightly, turned into the Enns valley at Radstadt and nice heavy snow. Made for an interesting drive back home and up some hills, winter tyres are great things. Still snowing heavy, strange but very little rain/snow showing on the radar images at the moment, maybe just a local thing. Kersh - any fresh in Gastein this morning?
ski holidays
Kersh skied Dienten today whilst I skied gastein and we're meeting for a few beers later so we'll swap stories. Bad gastein/ schlossalm has not yet had enough snow (or pisting) to open in full. What I did ski today was pretty good fun though. Lots of powder on the pistes and a bit of a White out day so was generally a case of trying to surf your way straight through it all. I think we still need quite a bit more snow (and less wind - looking very windswept on the exposed areas) before they get all the runs in shape for a proper opening.
snow report
I skied at Hochwurzen today which was fully open but with some lifts closing occasionally due to high winds. Started snowing early this morning and been going all day. I'd say 20cms of fresh maybe more but blown about. I think the whole of Schladming (the 4 hills) is now pretty much open with generally decent snow cover though where the wind has left a few thin patches. Plan on a full day at Zauchansee tomorrow, first trip since a couple of skis tour way back on October when we had the only autumn snow.Should be a good few days coming up with more settled weather, hope to get a tour or 2 in somewhere.

Dachstein reporting 50cms in last 24 hours
http://www.snowreporter.com/schneeberichte/oesterreich/steiermark/ramsaudachstein.html
snow conditions
I've just returned from taking holidayloverxx to Munich Airport for her flight back to London. We woke up this morning to really heavy snow and strong winds in Flachau. It seemed a lot of lifts higher up might have been closed as we saw very few people skiing. Conditions were not nice to ski in but the snow cover is great and getting better with every storm. We have skied Wagrain and Flachau in our mini-break at Apartment Christine in Flachau. superb piste conditions, but the weather was not so kind (misty, snowy and very windy).

Yesterday we managed to download on the last gondola before the Achter Jet was closed early due to high winds with Mrs Flangesax who was not in ski gear having popped over to join us in that time honoured Alpine ritual of Café and Kuchen (cake). I imagine all the lifts higher than the Achter Jet also closed early as it really was blowing a gale up there.

Heavy snow all the way to Salzburg then less and less in the direction of Munich. But the head winds crucified my fuel consumption Evil or Very Mad

The forecast is for snowy showers and some heavy snow storms until the middle of the week with icy temperatures, the it is due to get milder and calmer again. Looking good for the Christmas and New Year period.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy