Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm just off to do one of my most favourite things...

Poster: A snowHead
going to get a stack of new ski brochures snowHead

Thinking Austria for the first time, there will be a group of us. Catered chalet, pretty town for the non skier, sauna and jacuzzi (as it would be rude not to).

Feel free to pimp me somewhere.

Heres the bad bit - we will have to go Feb Half Term Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

pretty town for the non skier

Kitzbuhel?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, Altenmarkt-Radstadt and join up with those of us in the know Laughing

Actually a good insider tip is Haus Annebelle in Wagrain - just google it! wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, hm, not sure I want to go that low (which makes Austria pretty difficult Laughing )

Samerberg Sue, that does look lovely. Fully booked for Half Term though Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
pam w, hm, not sure I want to go that low (which makes Austria pretty difficult Laughing )

Kitzbuhel can be a bit iffy in a bad season, but don't read too much in to altitudes. The snow line gets lower as you head east, so check the records of the resorts rather than going on pure altitude. In the early season I've found St Anton, for example, to be every bit as reliable as French resort that are 500m higher. Maybe St Anton is in a "snow pocket", but good snow certainly seems to found at a lower level than in the western alps.

As for suggestions, there seem to be quite a few nice chalets in Lech; it's a very pretty village with very reliable snow. St anton is not as pretty but has a lot to do (big "wellness" centre, easy to do a day trip to Innsbruck, plenty of shopping and eating in the town) and a lot of chalets.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Fully booked for Half Term though

I suspect that will be the story all over - in places liked by the Brits, good places will already be booked up.

And, of course, in places brits don't go, there are unlikely to be any "catered chalets", as such.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, better DIYing it and booking direct for half term (simply go via resort websites or try www.tiscover.com). It'll be high season but prices not loaded in the way that tour ops do it. That would rule out catered chalet and that's a good thing - go for a 3 or 4 star half board hotel with pool and sauna. There are tons of 'em and availabilty at half term should be a breeze. Flights might be "loaded" cos it's half term but consider driving as well - you turn left out of the tunnel while all others head straight on.

Kitzbuhel, Zell am See (has Kaprun up the road if snow an issue), Mayrhofen (likewise has Hintertux glacier just a bus ride away) - all a great first destination for Austria and all good for non skiers.

And perleeeese, regarding snow surety, how long have you been hanging around here?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

prices not loaded in the way that tour ops do it

I had a brochure from Le Ski this morning - their prices for chalets that week are certainly pretty eyewatering. £1200 - 1400 a head, before you pay for any skiing. Driving to Austria sounds a good way to to go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't think of anything worse than Kaprun at half term if snow Is bad elsewher
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I reckon Austrian 4 star hotel with wellness suite, half board, from Sat 11th Feb should come in at about £500 - £700 per adult and kid reductions up to 50%. I just did a check on www.booking.com and there's plenty out there. Maybe add £100 per head for the drive down and back. Totally blows away any tour op chalet IMO.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott, for a woman of your class http://www.alpin-chalet.com/en/home/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller
Quote:

And perleeeese, regarding snow surety, how long have you been hanging around here?

only about a total of 5 mins on the Piste Laughing

We will not be driving, ph would be dead before we arrived

I will try Bode's website though.

Thanks guys.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, when would you like to take me?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, if I get my foot down I could be there in an hour and a half Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
http://www.perauer.at/start-en.htm
snow report
Hotel brugerhof, kitbuhel would fit perfect. I loved it there
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Try here - this is my luxury gaff where I indulge myself each season snowHead :

http://www.hotel-berghof.com/

It even has more or less doorstep skiing (OK you have to take your skis off to cross the car park and road, so all bar 50m! snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
I'm going to Austria next half term Very Happy Shimmy Alcott, if you drive there - we might cross on the roads!
latest report
pam w, Are those prices per head, I had a look through mine but couldn't find the bit it said per head, I thought that was for the chalet, in which case it's still expensive but not as bad.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

You know how notoriously bad last season was everywhere. Friends of mine were skiing to valley level, in Mayrhofen, in April. I honestly wouldn't base your resort search on the odd hundred metres of altitude.
snow report
Also, quick 5 minutes on snowtrex turned up this in Kitzbuhel:

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/austria/kitzbuehel_alps/kitzbuehel/hotel_alpenhof/prices.html

Half board double hotel room with some kind of "spa facilities" - whatever the hell that is, surely nobody on a ski holiday has time for that sh*t - including lift pass, 600 quid pp for Feb 18th, 50 quid less for the week prior. (I'm not sure what the exact half term dates are for you).

If you eventually opt for DIY, I would always recommed www.tiscover.at as a source of apartments.
snow conditions
No-one was skiing to village level by 8th April,no snow and 20 degrees in village. You couldn't ski into Hintertux either.
snow report
Ghost Dog, wrong. My pals were there on the 9th of April, skiing down from the Ahorn to the valley. I am, at this very moment, looking at a photo on Facebook that proves it.

So there.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 30-08-11 7:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Irrespective of which, mid February is unlikely to be anything other than 'completely fine', which is the actual point being made.
ski holidays
Quote:

Are those prices per head, I had a look through mine but couldn't find the bit it said per head, I thought that was for the chalet, in which case it's still expensive but not as bad.

Laughing Laughing if that was a price for the whole rather swish chalet, for ten people, fully catered, I would call that the bargain of the century!!! Yes, I'm sure it was "per head" and whilst there might be some slight reduction for very young heads, it won't amount to much.
ski holidays
Bavaria in half term is an option too.

No price hike.
Easy travel to and from Munich. By train if you don't want to rent a vehicle.
Wide variety of terrain and resorts.
Very reasonable prices.
No hordes of Brits.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62376
latest report
I apologise, I probably saw them as I watched a few people limp down the (closed) piste. Snow was gone by 10th tho'.

I forgot about Ahorn, no-one was sking down to valley on the other side, including Hintertux. Worst I've ever seen it, way worse than 2007 (which was pretty good by Easter).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Irrespective of which, mid February is unlikely to be anything other than 'completely fine', which is the actual point being made.

Ahem, unless you get summer temps in February like 4-5 years ago. Friends who went to Kiz told tales of woe and of 20 degrees in the valley
latest report
but at half term, if the weather is very bad (which it usually won't be) any place that DOES have very high glacier style skiing will be mobbed anyway, and not much fun. At half term you have to book in advance, and you can't know what the weather is going to be - and anywhere at ordinary sort of altitudes is at risk of some freaky weather. If you are going to Kitzbuhel - which has loads to offer - mid February is about as good a time as any. I've had hot temperatures and very thin snow in early January, in a variety of places (including the entire 3 Valleys.....) but that doesn't mean you shouldn't plan to go there.
ski holidays
Word up, Pamela.

I've had a pretty ropey January 3Vs, a worse Verbier January, but have skied on great snow in December and April - both in low Austrian places actually. Lotteryville USA, population us.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy