Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire at GVA. Swiss side or French side pros and cons?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at car hire for January's trip to Verbier.

Hiring from the French side at GVA is significantly cheaper than from the Swiss side. So what's the catch? Surely French side hired cars can be used in Switzerland? I guess French side hired cars do not come with winter tyres or snow chains. Probably don't need the former and can buy chains quite cheaply at service stations I guess. Any other advice, pros and cons of hiring from either side?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
halfhand, if you can possibly face the search facility, there has been lots on this. Main points, I think, are non-winterisation and the fact that it's awkward (but not impossible) finding your way in and out of Geneva. If pam_w sees this, she'll be able to summarize better than I could.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Presumably the price difference is getting ever wider as the Swiss Franc appreciates and the Euro goes the other way
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand, you can request chains (not charged extra, usually) but their availability is never guaranteed in advance. And yes, no snow tyres without fairly hefty extra charge. If you want to use the Swiss motorway you will usually have to buy a vignette (40 francs) though some cars may have them, courtesy of previous hirers. wink

It's not difficult to find your way in and out of the French side - clear directions are available, should you decide to go that route.

another possible snag is opening hours - if you arrive very late at night, for example, you could find everyone has gone home....

If you self cater the proximity of a big French supermarket to the French (Ferney Voltaire) side of the airport is useful.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just booked a car from the french side last week - £198 for the week for a vauxhall astra. been through the french side a few time times and no real hassle. the good thing is there is also very little queues for check in when returnng home which is also good.

I was getting quotes around £400 going through the swiss side. do you take a left at the end of the airport road for the super market in ferney voltaire?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
10196986, yes, left at the end of the airport road, right at the roundabout a few hundred metres up, then you'll see signposts (at the next roundabout IIRC) for the "Centre commerciale". £198 for a week is good!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica,yeah I couldn't face the search function I'd rather stick pins in my eyesM Toofy Grin. Have hired from swiss side before but was surprised at the difference in price. I thought there'd be some horrendous catch.

pam w, thanks for the tips. I was on the way home and remembered about the vignette but I'm pretty sure it's possible to get to Verber without using toll roads. Good idea re:supermarketi
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I couldn't face the search function I'd rather stick pins in my eyes

You can always use Google to search SH, just append the phrase "site:snowheads.com" to get results from here only.

E.g. This
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok I'll try again rolling eyes

sah, It was a last minute topic query just before I left work and whilst driving home was thinking in hindsight that I might have phrased the question differently (or maybe not).
Sorry to be rude but I'm very familiar with the workings (or not) of the search function in snowHeads and Google and whilst I appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to respond your contribution
is not really helpful.

I'm sorry (again) but my posts above were sent from my crackberry and appear to have bolluxed up the display. Is there any chance a mod or admin could correct this? - hey why not just delete the whole thread I'm not bothered really and what's with the non-placement of the emoticons ? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
another possible snag is opening hours - if you arrive very late at night, for example, you could find everyone has gone home....

The French side will just go home if there are no more flights to the French side of the airport - regardless of what the opening hours say and whether you've arrived or not.

Last season the Swiss side car rentals stayed open until 02:00 in the morning because of flight delays.

Personally, I'll only book the French side if the price difference is compelling and I'm not flying in late.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
pam w wrote:

The French side will just go home if there are no more flights to the French side of the airport - regardless of what the opening hours say and whether you've arrived or not.

Last season the Swiss side car rentals stayed open until 02:00 in the morning because of flight delays.

Personally, I'll only book the French side if the price difference is compelling and I'm not flying in late.

That's not my experience. We booked a car on the French side and arrived well after closing time (thanks Easyjet) and the Avis desk was still open.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In previous threads on this subject, people have said that there is a good guide to the airport, showing not only how to get in and out of the French car rental place, but also how to get to and from the airport without driving through Switzerland at all. I've Googled around and can't find it. Probably I'm being dim, but please could someone point me to the right website. Thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica, Do this help, it's from the Geneva airport web site :-

http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

That's not my experience.

I can't remember who, but one SH reported a fairly grim experience, arriving late, not getting car, and having to trek to hotel for the night. I once arrived fairly late when my car was parked on the French side, and the route through from the international side was closed. Fortunately there was a French couple who also needed to get through, and he was more masterful than I would have been marching round finding somebody to open up for us. So it's not impossible to run into problems.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geepee, thanks, excellent if small.

pam w, it was Flying Stantoni I think.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
geepee, thanks, excellent if small.

That's what all the girls say. Embarassed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
geepee, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
geepee, that's a very useful map - one of the difficult things for a first time driver to the French side is ignoring all the back seat drivers who insist on pointing out signposting to the airport. wink
latest report
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

pam w wrote:

That's the sort of thing I was wondering about. Flight arrives at 10am so I would expect France to be open Laughing As for prices:

Quote for Ford Focus picking up Swiss side £341, picking up French side about £200 seems a bit of a no-brainer.

By the way sorry if I came across a bit grumpy last night - I guess I shouldn't post whilst sozzled Embarassed
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Ok I'll try again rolling eyes

sah, It was a last minute topic query just before I left work and whilst driving home was thinking in hindsight that I might have phrased the question differently (or maybe not).
Sorry to be rude but I'm very familiar with the workings (or not) of the search function in snowHeads and Google and whilst I appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to respond your contribution
is not really helpful.

Not helpful? Well feel free to ignore it. Pam had already given you the answer to your main question about the downsides to renting at the French side, I didn't have anything to add to that but I had a constructive comment to make on the search function so I thought I'd try and help out.

A lot of people are not aware of the "site:" option on Google and my post was for their benefit, if you are aware then good for you. The search function on SH is not the greatest, it misses a lot of results that the Google site search picks up so I thought it worth mentioning following your comment about pins in eyes (which I sympathise with, btw).
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That's not my experience.

I can't remember who, but one SH reported a fairly grim experience, arriving late, not getting car, and having to trek to hotel for the night. I once arrived fairly late when my car was parked on the French side, and the route through from the international side was closed. Fortunately there was a French couple who also needed to get through, and he was more masterful than I would have been marching round finding somebody to open up for us. So it's not impossible to run into problems.

Yep, I agree it is possible... I certainly wouldn't plan to arrive late on the French side, but if you are delayed it is worth phoning the hire desk and warning them, they can be helpful sometimes:-)
latest report
sah, I did try to apologise - sorry didn't mean to be so rude.
snow report
sah, trouble is that - contrary, perhaps to public opinion wink - there's a lot of useful information to be found in the Apres Zone, and that's hidden from Google, as I understand it. So a Google search cannot always be a satisfactory subsitiute for the search function on here. Granted, though, the many Geneva Airport threads are mostly not in the AZ.
snow report
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

I was talking to the woman at the Hertz car rental desk on the French side last Christmas whilst waiting for a delayed flight (about 11:30pm). She told me if people indicate the flight number on their booking they have to wait until the flight arrives, even if it is delayed until 2am. It doesn't matter if it is due to land in the French or Swiss side of the airport.
If they don't have a flight number on a booking and the rentee hasn't arrived at closing time they assume it is a no show and go home.
ski holidays
halfhand, fench side is always better on the wallet, the swiss side charge more because it includes the swiss road tax (begins with V . . . help me out). so the down side is that you shold not use the autoroute/peage back into switzerland (GVA) as you will have to stop and pay the V . . . , if you come from say Val, Tignes, La Plagnes, etc you need to come off a junction earlier and go thro Geneva, or take the chance there are no police/customs. Even if you go the autoroute/peage way and get stopped you can turn round and go the back way OR as i discovered you ask to turn roumd but cant you just go staright to GVA!!!
snow conditions
skichampcouk, Interesting perspective, BUT the Swiss have an inflexible cut off point= if the flight cannot arrive by 00:00 then it is refused permission to take off heading for Switzerland. The timetable will give you a clue!

Ergo a 21:00 LHR flight with a an ETA or 23:30 would not be permitted to take off after 21:00: However, some of the rental companies will stay if you call them beforehand (for a charge) or occasionally upon arrival if there are baggage issues etc.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Pedantica,yeah I couldn't face the search function I'd rather stick pins in my eyes

You can always search the site with Google
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy