Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Idle speculation about skiing in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
With the horrendous exchange rate (for non Swiss people at least) of the CHF I'm guessing a lot of tourists will be avoiding Swiss resorts, and maybe a lot of locals will be heading out to other European resorts of they go on holiday... do we reckon this will mean Swiss resorts will be quieter than usual?

I've just booked a trip to Laax for a long weekend, staying in a cheap hostel and otherwise trying not to look too closely at the prices... I'm just trying to console myself that although I'll be bankrupt at least I'll have the slopes to myself. Or is this just wishful thinking?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah, Laax wasn't very busy when I went at half term (which was also Fasching) in 2010 so you ought to be pretty safe.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent, I knew I'd made a sound decision Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This was one of the return runs (I must confess to photoshopping people out though)
Laax

It was actually like this
Laax
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very nice!

(nice pictures of St Anton too, looks like the snow arrived just in the nick of time last Feb).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We had a couple of days of snow whilst we were there, it hadn't snowed for a long time before we arrived though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vaguely on topic we've had quite a bit of interest this year from expats living in Switzerland and being paid in CHF. A holiday in France paid for in GBP is something of a bargain for them compared with 2-3 years ago.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having said I wouldn't go to Switzerland till the exchange rate improved a lot I just signed up for a SCGB holiday in Adelboden Embarassed (well, all the ones I could go on were in Switzerland).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lads long weekend trip to Verbier in January just booked. I must've been feckin' mad to agree to go. Looking at transfers for 4 people AlpyBus want 463CHF for the round trip Shocked We just want to get to Verbier from GVA not buy the darn minibus - it'll be cheaper to rent a car.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand wrote:
Lads long weekend trip to Verbier in January just booked. I must've been feckin' mad to agree to go. Looking at transfers for 4 people AlpyBus want 463CHF for the round trip Shocked We just want to get to Verbier from GVA not buy the darn minibus - it'll be cheaper to rent a car.

I found Verbier eye watering when it was CHF2.50 to the pound... mind you I was a stoodent and I kipped in a van when I last went there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand, From where? Is it really cheaper than the train? (The specific train fare from Geneva is cheaper than the general ticket from any airport to anywhere in Switzerland).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll let you know what the costs are like when I visit my Bro for a long weekend at the end of Sept - they're devaluing the franc, supposedly, so things should improve.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Theres actually price reductionsin the shops here..which is nearly unheard of..even a BOGOF offer in COOP the other day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand, why not get a swiss rail transfer?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, ed123, Not considered train because not sure whether I or any of my party would be prepared for the faff of changing trains and then getting taxi from La Chable etc .

Just for clarification snowball - I got an on-line quote from Alpybus for 4 people - Geneva Airport to Verbier and return to GVA, 463CHF in total (£350?). I kid you not. Holiday autos will do a ford focus for 5 days for about £200.
snow conditions
halfhand, there's normally a Postbus connecting at Le Chable to take you up the hill. Although if you're getting 4 into a car for about £200 that's probably marginally cheaper than the train anyway (and probably quicker, but less civilised).
snow report
halfhand, that price doesn't seem too eye-boggling to me. It's probably about 8 hours driving in all (depending on where the vehicle is based), £75 (?) in fuel for a sizeable vehicle, depreciation, insurances, tax, etc . How much profit do you think it would be reasonable for a minibus operator to make on two round trips Geneva/Verbier. A return taxi Portsmouth to Gatwick (quite a a lot closer than Geneva to Verbier) is £250.

(and if that car hire quote is on the French side of Geneva, you can add 40 francs for a motorway vignette - you could do it off motorway, but it would take a lot longer). And how much does car parking cost in Verbier?

As a matter of interest, given the Swiss laws on snow tyres, what happens if you hire a French registered car without snow tyres, and drive it into Switzerland?
latest report
pam w wrote:

As a matter of interest, given the Swiss laws on snow tyres, what happens if you hire a French registered car without snow tyres, and drive it into Switzerland?

You end up getting stuck in the snow and feeling pretty stupid.
snow report
sah wrote:
... do we reckon this will mean Swiss resorts will be quieter than usual?

Quieter than usual? how will that work?

How quiet can you get? This was english half term week.

You may pay more, but for all day lift service powder, why wouldnt you do that?
Top tip for laax visitors, try Tschiertchen, best powder mountain in that area by far.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy