Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hestra gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there guys,

I have previously (thanks to snowheads) been recommended Hestra gloves. Based on this suggestion I think im going to buy some but wondered if anyone can give some specifics since I cant actually try them out.

The XCR goretex ones seem to be very expensive so I was looking at either the army leather Heli mitt or the 3 finger mitt. Has anyone used either ot these? With the heli mitt, are there internal finger dividers? Does anyone know if the 3 finger feels ok.... i have an inkling that it might feel very odd!

On a more general note, information in this forum implies that the leather means that you might have trouble drying the gloves without baking them on a radiator (and thus damaging them). Is this genuinely the case and in which case, is it worthwhile buying 2 pairs and rotating (keep in mind im only a 2 (or if lucky) 3 week a year skier.

Thanks

Adam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, haven't got Hestra gloves but I'm told that they're excellent. When I was last shopping for gloves I couldn't find anyone stocking a decent range.

I dry my leather Spyder gloves on a radiator by standing them up on the wrist cuffs. The air then gets right inside & the leather is not in direct contact with the radiator. You can also use the heated boots driers in them.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 6-08-05 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buns, I have Hestra Gloves. They are all nylon, with no leather bits. Very warm,durable and dry in wet conditions. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowbunny wrote:
buns, I have Hestra Gloves. They are all nylon, with no leather bits. Very warm,durable and dry in wet conditions. Very Happy

The ones i was looking at are http://www.hestrausa.com/product.php?id=2 which certainly seem to have leather.... is this just hestra calling it leather then it isnt really? Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buns, The do have leather-real leather, are pretty tough with a longstanding reputation. And they usually cost a lot, because they are good. I would go with spyderjon, 's suggestion of using boot driers in them. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
buns, I have a pair of Hestra mitts, similar to the Army Leather GoreTex ones. Bought couple of years ago, used in some extreme conditions with no problems at all. They have leather pads, and seem to be very hard wearing. The liners have individual fingers, which takes a bit of getting used to when wearing mitts.
Leave to dry standing on the cuffs, and have had no issues with the leather.

Got mine at a stupid price from S+R during the summer months. Went in to get a pair of gloves for dry slope use, and found the Hestra ones in the sale. Think they were about £18 !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys,

I just placed an order for a couple of pairs of mitts..... came to £56 delivered which is pretty good i thought!

Adam
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a pair of Hestra gloves at Blacks a couple of years ago reduced from £40-50 to £25, after being recommended the brand, but I have to say they're the worst pair of gloves I've ever had. I trust this is a exception to the rule - and maybe why they were reduced. Lasted about 4 weeks skiing before the lining matted and saturates utterly with about half a day's exertion, just right to freeze solid after lunch, and the rubberish hand lining is separating from the nylon exterior at the base of the fingers. Now relegated to dry-slope use, and replaced by some mega expensive (I was in Klosters when I couldn't stand the Hestras any more) Reusch with removable inners - which seem great so far (although carrying skis using just the liners was clearly a bad move - shredding the rather thin palm lining).

Those mitts sound a good deal though. I also have some leather mitts of my Dad's from the '50s which are pretty good, although I hardly use them now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ellis-Brigham have the gortex ones on sale. Unfortunately only in xl and xxl , too big for me. Less than £40.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
buns,

I have pair of Hestras with a leather palm and fingers and I am very surprised at the panning GrahamN gave them. Mine have been faultless and I paid about £50-60 for them a few seasons ago. I always want a leather palm and I never dry these too quickly so rotate these with a pair of Eider gauntlets.

I wouldn't consider mitt type gloves for skiing unless you suffer from cold hands as they will be too warm in them....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, I thought that but to be fair the ones GrahamN seems to describe are totally different from my Hestras. I've had mine for a couple of seasons and they're fantastic, I've never had a pair of gloves last like them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The ones I have seem likeGrahamN's, . I had been using Eider Defender gloves, but they fell apart after 6 days on the palm-rubberised fabric. I sent them back to EB's who did a lot of whinging, claimed that I had split them carrying skis, and you're not meant to carry skis with ski gloves(quote). All the splits were on seams, I got my money back, Mr's Sb's failed at 8 days, another refund. Hestra gloves for both-no probs snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, possibly almost as surprised as me - as I'd heard such good things about Hestra. The thing that most surprised me was how the linings always seemed to absorb rather than breathe. They now get pretty wet even with only an hour on a dry slope - not what I'd expect from a Goretex glove at all (especially as they're now also full of holes, tears etc. rolling eyes ). As I said, mine don't have a leather palm, the label says "rubbertec", and the insulation is "fibrefil". Very comfortable when dry though Very Happy .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, I had a bad experience with Spyder gloves, several of the seams came apart and from inspection it was down to poor cutting of the fabric and insufficient seam allowance, I was probably unlucky and just had a pair cut from the edge of the fabric roll, still it put me off of Spyder products
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN,

Can't explain it, I have had poor gloves, a pair a Solomans split after a few weeks with the same symptoms as D G Orf describes, so now I tend to put a bit of money into kit and it seems to work for me. My Eider gloves are as good as the Hestra#s but again weren't cheap, maybe £70 or so, I can't really remember. I trust them both totally and only carry spares should I lose one.

I agree with ise, don't know of anything better although Invicta made a very good gauntlett a few years back which I have very fond memories of. But if I was looking for new gloves, I'm not, my two pairs are about 4-5 seasons old, I would start with Hestra.
ski holidays
JT wrote:
buns,
I wouldn't consider mitt type gloves for skiing unless you suffer from cold hands as they will be too warm in them....

Well im going on the basis that at least for the immediate future, much of my snow activities will be in icy Alberta, so the chances of being too warm are slim id imagine!

Also I dont have poles in my hands, so im imagining that lack of 'clenching' will mean my hands may tend to be colder than for someone who uses poles..... Anyhow, I have ordered so it is as it is now and lets be honest, getting a top notch pair of gloves and an identical spare pair for under £60 isnt so bad (though this is coming from someone with a home cinema addiction...... snow sports are somehow cheap in comparison Very Happy)

Adam
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
I had a bad experience with Spyder gloves.....it put me off of Spyder products

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
My Hestra gloves were warm and lasted well but my recommendation is for Level gloves. My Level mitts look like new after 2 seasons.
snow conditions
neilswingler, I've got a pair of Level gloves with the removeable inner gloves and they're fantastic, I usually ski with both pairs on in the morning but if it warms up I can take the outer ones off and ski with just the inners, funny thing is that when I bought them I didn't realise they were double gloves
snow conditions
My favourites were from Snowlife (Swiss make), removeable liners, those nice pull cord things to tighten one handed and extra loops to go round your wrist which i couldn't be bothered usinig, maybe if I had i wouldn't have dropped one in a gondola.

As with most things in life you don't realise how good they are till they're gone. Haven't found anything quite as good yet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy