Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Diablerets off piste (& Adelboden)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got a choice of Engelberg, where I have been before, or Les Diablerets / Villars for an off-piste holiday with the SCGB.
Does anyone know Les Diablerets? What is the off-piste like? Are there any steeper slopes or couloirs, or tree skiing?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-08-11 18:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied Les Diablarets / Glacier 3000 once for a day when I was living the CH ski bum dream.
Nice resort, modern lifts and no crowds. Most of the piste skiing is very flat though - especially up on the glacier.

From memory there is some ok 'between the pistes' skiing in the Combe bowl. There is also one other gnarly face directly under the top cable car.
IMHO great place for a day trip, but not enough off piste for a whole week. I guess Villars (and other local resorts) will have some fun terrain and trees *if* the snow line is below 2000m. Could be fun with local knowledge and good snow - mainly because no one else will be ripping up the fresh tracks. But there are better resorts in the alps..... (i.e Eberg)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually I hadn't noticed another holiday in Adelboden, because it was classed as touring, but it seems to be based in the resort with just an hour or two of skinning per day. Although I don't like long days of mostly skinning, that sounds something like what I do anyway. Except I don't know Adelboden either. Anyone here who does?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 25-08-11 13:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never heard of anyone going to Villars/Les Diablerets for off piste. It's popular with families with young kids for the flat pistes. Never skied Adelboden but Remy Lecluse told me he guides a group there every year and there's some good skiing if the snow's good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Never heard of anyone going to Villars/Les Diablerets for off piste. It's popular with families with young kids for the flat pistes.

....and that is exactly what makes G3000 (and other 'family' resorts) so good wink
In 2008 we scored a mid week powder day with only 30 people on the mountain - it was great!
With good snow there is certainly some good terrain & potential at Les Diablarets - just maybe not enough to justify a whole week. For example the cliffy face in the back ground of this photo is directly accesible from the top cable car and offers a 1500m drop to the car park. There is other less extremo off-piste too...

Full set of pics here

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/verbier/VerbierRoadTripGlacier3000.shtml
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, Try Disentis, but Haggis_Trap, have complete right when he says that familyresorts use to be good for offpistskiing, Disentis is the kind of resort that at powderdays are a little crowdy on the mountain,,
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I organise 2 holidays for my friends and me but this is a choice from the SCGB offerings for my final holiday (well, I might manage the Snowheads Scottish weekend if it happens again)..
BobinCH, yes, Remy is the guide for Adelboden which is a strong reason to do it. It must be the holiday he meant.
Haggis_Trap, exciting slope there ( I'll look at the others right now). However whether we ski it will depend on the strength of the top group.
Thanks for the advice so far, everyone.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-08-11 13:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did a week in Adelboden 3 years ago. Did not do any off-piste (some unintentional, but thats another story..)
What I can tell you though is that we had amazing snow in March, and that the town is lovely and we had a great time.
The area is big and as there is a few separate areas of pistes,also links to Lenk, sure to be some off-piste in between.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, Andy & Julie don't spend much time on the Glacier, they now have plenty of local knowledge, Julie lives locally. We did mostly day tours arriving in remote locations and taking various modes of transport back to Les Diablerets. I see that the hotel has been changed since I did the holiday, probably a good move!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, Dypcdiver, but I just booked for Adelboden, largely because Remy Lecluse is guiding : he is such an exciting guide. Also a friend I often ski with likes it. However I now notice they don't get all that much snow depth, so I hope it works out OK for snow! Perhaps another time for Les Diablerets. The Adelboden holiday is under Touring but actually just includes up to 2 hours per day skinning which is probably similar to what you describe.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to live in Lenk, the other side of the Adelboden area and a much better place to access it from. Great skiing, not too steep, some nice tree runs and a few steeper sections if you know where to look. Daibleret is a bit of a hidden gem, lots of epic descents but you need to know your stuff and route finding can be tricky. It is part of the Berner Haute route, something I would love to do this winter as it is supposed to be a better ski than the standard Haute Route.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jamesbrocklehurst, I agree, but let us not shout about this place to loudly. It has some amazing off piste when the conditions are good. But can be very dangerous with steep cliffs etc. If you are interested in doing the Berner Haute route this coming winter, I might be putting a group together, send me a PM.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy