Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Creaking boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I've had a new pair of ski boots at the start of the year, i use them for about 3 hours a week but they've suddenly now developed a rather loud creaking noise! It's as soon as i flex the boots. Is there anything i can use to try and fix this?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 2-09-11 14:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't comment on the creaking but...
Lydart wrote:
use them for at least 3 hours a week

That's a very short skiing session Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, if the OP has skied for at least three hours a week since the beginning of the year, that's actually quite a lot of skiing.

No idea how to get rid of the noise, sorry. Dubbin? wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks pam w, Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 2-09-11 14:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've been skiing every week for 8 months, that's a different story. I assumed you were just doing 3 hours in a standard week-long ski trip and thought that was a short bit of skiing. Assumptions, assumptions...

I still have no idea about the creaking though. If you want to catch the attention of one of the resident bootfitters, try adding "ski boots" to the thread title. And add some info on the make and model of the boots.

I will say that my own boots have a mild squeak and creak when I walk. Have never noticed any noises when skiing but then all I can usually hear at that point is my skis over snow and the wind in my ears.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think all of my boots have squeaked and creaked.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try some furniture polish, my motorcycle boots have a number of plastic inserts which squeaked like crazy when walking. Took the advice from a MC forum and it worked a treat. Not sure how long it might last though. S'pose any silicon based spray might work though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lydart, WD-40 or silicon spray.. or just get used to it. Mine are very loud too - but at least it drowns out the noise from my knees Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski, Laughing

What effect would silicon spray or furniture polish (or any other lubricant) have on the integrity of ski boot material? Last season, the walk mode on my one boot was making a clicking noise when I walked. I was basically forbidden by my bootfitter from using any kind of lubricant on the metal walk mode mechanism in case it go onto the plastic part of the boot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero-G, Cannot imagine that a silicon based spray would be detrimental seeing as it may be sprayed on a variety of household surfaces but I am sure a boot expert will advise accordingly. Could possibly stain the liner but you are only going to spray on a little bit where it squeaks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We could do with a handy materials scientist on thread.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it a rear entry ski boot? If so you could try K-Y jelly or vaseline Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another option might be a little bit of very fine talc in the squeaky bits - I know it might wash out, but I suspect that if it does it job once they might not squeak again even if it doesn't last in the gap long term. Very fine talcs tend to be things like those they sell for athletes foot treatments.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A PTFE spray will lubricate, and doesn't react with much.

I'd avoid WD40 and silicon based products on plastic. It is pretty unlikely, but it could react. If it does, you have got a problem.

PTFE spray: http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-ptfe-spray-lubricant-400ml/80487?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Tools-_-No%20Nonsense%20PTFE%20Spray%20Lubricant%20400ml# just go to any branch of Screwfix and they'll have it on the shelf. Most decent hardware stores will have it too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the whole lubricant thing is a red herring. Ski boots creak and squeak when the plastic flexes, not because sections sliding over each other need to be lubricated.
ski holidays
Try ACF50... can be used on metal, plastics and most rubbers. Developed for protecting helicopters from salt on aircraft carriers but mainly used on motorbikes. Truly amazing stuff.
snow conditions
plastic sliding over plastic, depends on the boot model, some are worse than others, normally they are worse in the summer if your are using them on a plastic slope as the plastic of the boot is dry and warm sometimes something as little as a bit of moisture on the plastic solves it or you could try PTFE spray or silicon spray (never had any issues with silicon reacting with plastic of ski boots) avoid wd40 at all costs it is oil based and will attract dirt into the area which could make the problem worse
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I think all of my boots have squeaked and creaked.

I'll think you'll find that that's your knees mate.
latest report
FlyingStantoni, no, they do it as well.
latest report
CEM wrote:
plastic sliding over plastic, depends on the boot model

Damn! I hate being wrong, even when I don't know what I'm talking about.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for your replies i shall have a go and see what i can do with your suggestions, i don't mind them making some noise just want to quieten them down a bit Very Happy
snow conditions
We have had a few boots over the years with this comment, and when we have had them in noticed that the various overlapping parts sometimes might not be quite where they should be which can reshape them. Easily resolved by flattening out with a little heat or resetting, but as you haven't said which boot I cant confirm, but we notice some do it more than others. Also, where they are tending to mix plastic types to adjust flex, it can makes some boots louder than others - My old Speedmachines creaked away when walking around but never noticed on the mountain. Manufacturers do listen to this, one of the largest ones last year reacted to feedback on a popular boot by changing one section of plastic to make the boot a little 'quieter', but in our opinion, if the boot fits, is comfortable in all conditions and allows you to get the most out of your skiing, then noise (on the mountain at least) won't be a factor, you will be too busy enjoying your skiing Shock)

Silicone spray certainly does help too, and is used by some manufacturers, and we use it in our workshop, although we don't recommend having it on the liners, as you want a decent hold between the shell and liner that stays put. Tempting to do, and some shops (and manufacturers) do to make inserting the liner easier, but patience and accepting that your knuckles may get nipped a little ensures a good integration betwixt boot shell and liner.

Hope this helps.

ScottyDog
latest report
scottydog, thanks for your reply Very Happy the noise must be coming from a point where two different plastics are will see what i can do

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 2-09-11 14:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Take piece of fine sand paper and gently rub the lower edge of the plastic holding the third clip ratchet bar, this can solve the problem and increases the boots ability to flex.
ski holidays
Excellent, well done someone at last mentioning silicon'e' spray. A good fix, whereas silicon is quite hard and brittle (as well as expensive in crystalline form) and will mark the plastic of your boots.!

pedant mode/(off)
ski holidays
My knees creak when I go skiing, will silicon spray work on them too?
ski holidays
Silicone spray might well. WD-40 is excellent rubbed into the joint in the morning.....................smells abit though.
latest report
Be careful with your lubricants if using friction reliant rope work!!! At least too much of it anyhow, it quickly goes from boot to hand to all manner of equipment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy