Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camera & Hand Baggage

Poster: A snowHead
I've been booked on Ryanair for a trip to Spain.

My question is: One piece of hand luggage within the size constraints. Can I have a camera around my neck or on my belt in addition or does it have to go in the hand baggage?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, EJ wouldn't let me through with a DSLR in a holster bag. I clipped it onto my belt instead.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, That's the thing, it's a big DSLR, I have a Lowepro holster case for it with a belt hoop on it, even though it'll look daft it will go on my belt. Does that count as baggage or not?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, EJ let me on, I took it off as soon as I got on. Ryanair might have a different view though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, you are talking Ryanair, what do you think??
My four year old had a little peppa pig water bottle round her neck which we filled up after security and they demanded that it must go in the hand luggage when they called us to board. Of course, as soon as we were on the plane I took it out. Crazy Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its all here on the website - in short - it has to go in the one bag.
http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-cabinbaggage
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, The fact that it's in a case and that they charge for extra pieces would lead to the conclusion that you may get lucky. Otherwise expect the worst. I have some inside "knowledge" so would respectfully suggest you pocket the case and have the camera hanging around your neck which should avoid any discussion about extra peices etc Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway, I read that earlier, but what if it's attached to my belt on my trousers?
I could just about fit it in the goggle pocket on my hardshell jacket too.

Question really is, if you're wearing it, does it count as hand baggage?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From my last experience of RA, they're far more inteested in weighing and measuring the dimentions of peoples wheelie hand luggage and tapping them up for the £40 for infringements (and there were many). The backpack I was carrying was probably outside the dimensions and certainally cruising close to the 10kg limit, but because it was on my back, they weren't interested. Reckon you'll get away with it as long as the camera isn't in a bag...
... or stuff it down your trousers, you may get 'preferential' service from the flight attendants for your long lens wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, maybe Spyderman,
Quote:
... or stuff it down your trousers, you may get 'preferential' service from the flight attendants for your long lens wink
if he follows your advice may enjoy a new type of speedy boarding of a different kind Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or you could consider one of these handy travel coats with 33 pockets Toofy Grin You could probably smuggle a child aboard in that thing.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Carry-on-Coat.shtml
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, clip to belt(look a tw@t) through check in then take it off. which you have to do anyway for security.
Simples.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whether the camera pouch (which can be considered a small bag) is clipped to your belt or slung over your shoulder, it's a piece of hand luggage, isn't it? Unless you are able to hide it when it's clipped to your belt I'm not convinced you'll get away with it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman,

stupid suggestion? why not clip it to belt and then wear big coat over it - you may look like a fatty but will get the camera on! all you have to do is get past the ticket check bit prior to boarding
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You might be able to get away with having it in your hand, and then have a jumper/coat draped over that arm obscuring it.
latest report
nick0861, Most sensible airlines and EJ check at the gate and sometimes even as you get on. More to the point security are not interested on the detail as long as it meets IATA regulations: nice idea but airlines differ and they make up the subsidiary rules and how they are enforced. Sad
latest report
I think I'll wear my shell jacket, the goggle pouch is huge, stuff it in there to board. I'm sure they can't penalise me for having a camera in a jacket pocket?
snow report
Spyderman, I flew Ryanair last month and everybody had to have everything in the bags even papers and water bottles rolling eyes
snow conditions
Linds, They didn't make you put the contents of your pockets in the bag though?
latest report
IME both EJ and RA are very strict about one piece of hand luggage which can be almost anything from a coin purse up to a fully-packed rucksack. Also IME, Ryanair are even more of a PITA about it - my husband had a small camera bag with a DSLR and related bits, but he couldn't also carry a Tax Free carrier bag
snow report
+1 what Anniepen, says. Not worth the grief.
latest report
MarjMJ, I hate both those overpriced overrated no frill airlines: they promise nothing and deliver it in spades.
snow report
MarjMJ wrote:
+1 what Anniepen, says. Not worth the grief.
plus another. IME doesn't matter what they say/do, if anything, at check-in - at the gate they are looking for non-conformists (and don't be fooled into thinking they won't notice because the staff manning the gate are talking avidly to eachother Toofy Grin )
snow report
I didn't book the flight.

I'm flying Lufthansa tomorrow and Swiss on Wednesday, no such grief with baggage. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy