Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fire burns out gondola station at Plagne Bellecote glacier.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Report here

I'm not one hundred percent sure it's the gondola station at the top, but that's what I've been told.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The original report http://permanent.nouvelobs.com/societe/20050805.OBS5539.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Suggesting that my report was "unoriginal"?

The info came to me by word of mouth from a Les Arcs pisteur to begin with. AP then released an article which has since been taken up by a number of media outlets, including the one you mention.

The info largely concurred, except that the pisteur suggested it was the lower cablecar station rather than the glacier gondola station (reported in press), hence my original caveat.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 5-08-05 18:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that the lower one is called "Roche du Mio"-so it reads as though it's the top one.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doesnt it have a mid staton as well?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, yes - the first one up from Plagne Bellecote is Roche de Mio. Then it goes down into another station (good access to some quiet runs) before going up to the Glacier proper.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The upper gondola station - confirmed - a photo of the site "before" already added, and hopefully one soon of "after", to come...

Filled in some of the blanks in the latest update to the original article...

See full report
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quite alarming, really - how long after the fire started did the cable give way? I wonder if the staff would have had time to rescue everyone if this had happened with a full load on board during the winter months.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair, it can't have been that long. The fire broke out around 9 am, and was more or less extinguished by the helicos by 11am, so certainly no more than two hours, perhaps considerably less. And I remember the problems discussed on SnowHeads a few months back when the Austrians had to rescue marooned skiers from gondolas on the link to the Soelden Rettenbach glacier. Ok there were high winds, but it still took them nearly 8 hours to rescue 70 people ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=64486
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, I would imagine many ski resorts will be reviewing their risk assessments after this - seems fortunate that it occurred when it did.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Plagne lift goes over some pretty impressive drops too. Can you picture the scene, with maybe thirty gondolas crammed to the brim...

As you say, a good job it happened when it did, and let's hope some valuable lessons have been learnt.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG wrote:
The Plagne lift goes over some pretty impressive drops too. Can you picture the scene, with maybe thirty gondolas crammed to the brim...

God, I'd rather not imagine THAT scene. Sounds truly terrifying.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy