Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic "double deck" sl v Atomic sl ti

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,
Have read various reviews on both these skis and prefer the Atomic sl ti but would like to know what the difference is between "double deck" skis and "regular" types - has anyone skied/raced on both types and can share their experiences/views, I have to commit soon and unfortunately cannot try before I buy.
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
briand6868, What do you want to use them for ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, On snow Masters training/racing, had a pair of 3vs but didn't really take to them,just want to find out if/what the difference is in the way they perform or is there any.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
briand6868, Have you tried asking an Amer race rep which would be best for you ? If you have got your race licence you should be able to get club discount on them.

Are you looking at the "Race" or "Race FIS" D2 SL ? Almost everybody at a Masters race will be on FIS skis though some of the lighter guys will be using female lengths.

There are Salomon/Atomic demo skis in the UK that have been available to try at indoor races this summer.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, Looking at both at the moment,do you know if they are they available to try at Chilly in Manchester - I think it would be worth my while going over for a weekends sliding to try them out if so.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
briand6868, They might be at Chill Factore for this weekend, I will ask.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
briand6868, Advice I had was go for flatdeck FIS SL's a . Afterall the pros must have some idea and don't use the D2's ! D2's are supposed to be better of clean piste; but are not so good on cut-up courses.

having been playing on mine ('11 season race dept flatdeck Atomics) and they are fantastic!

Bartletts might be at Chill for the above event; call them and ask if you can have a play.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
briand6868,

See similar earlier post:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77114&highlight=

If you didn't get on with the std 3vs, I think you will have similar issues with the std Atomic sl because they are umm... "similar" to say the least!

I use the std 155 men's 3vs for plastic and as you'll see in the other thread I got the chance to compare them with what I now know to be the FIS women's 3v lab "double deck" version and was blown away in comparison.

If I could turn the clock back I would have definitely gone for either the Salomon or Atomics in the "double deck" at the womens length, I have now tried both makes in the "double deck" lab vs D2 and to me they feel very similar. I guess you could compare the men's lengths in a similar manner.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scooby_simon wrote:
briand6868, Advice I had was go for flatdeck FIS SL's a . Afterall the pros must have some idea and don't use the D2's ! D2's are supposed to be better of clean piste; but are not so good on cut-up courses.

The advice I have been given is the opposite, the D2s are supposed to be better if the course is cut up.
Quote:
Bartletts might be at Chill for the above event; call them and ask if you can have a play.

The demos that have been available indoors have been organized by the regional Amer race reps, not by shops.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The demos that have been available indoors have been organized by the regional Amer race reps, not by shops.

These are often kept at 'shops' for demo purposes, only reason the're not at the indoors is because the big chains won't allow it.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 21-08-11 13:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can I suggest if you're a little more stuck in your ways (realising here i have made an assumption with "masters races"), stick with the regular skis, I've had a play on both slalom and GS skis and I must say as interesting as it was to experience something totally different, i didn't much like the doubledecks, the issue is, they smooth out the junk on the snow and provide absolutely stunning edge grip, however, unlike usual skis which give a bit of warning when they're on the edge of slipping, these give full grip and then absolutely none at all. Definitely need to have time to get to know how the ski will react on every surface especially if you're gonna be rutt riding a late start!! The standard skis are by no means a downgrade they have superb grip and lots of kick in them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:
scooby_simon wrote:

The advice I have been given is the opposite, the D2s are supposed to be better if the course is cut up.
Quote:

Interesting!

Why do the pros just use the flatdecks? Not seen a pair of D2's on the slalom circuit! I have the advice from 2 race coaches and one member of the Europa cup squad....

If I'd been just racing on plastic I would have gone for 160 D2's....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scooby_simon, The "pros" don't ski cut up courses, they ski on injected snow or on clean snow at the start of the field, the quick people that I know who used both felt the D2s to be too damp.

I gather that the balance is switching to more of the flatdeck skis being sold for slalom for next season, which is why my advice was to talk to a rep.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice people,will try to be at Manchester on 24/9 to try out a few pairs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My Race have the 2011 Atomic Flat & Double Deck in a 158 for £395.00 including the binding!!! Their site is www.my-race.com , or you can phone them on 01179 16 0829.
latest report
briand6868, briand6868, SkiBoardSki
user
My Race have the 2011 Atomic Flat & Double Deck in a 158 for £395.00 including the binding!!! Their site is www.my-race.com , or you can phone them on 01179 16 0829.
Tue 08 Jan, 13
08:55     
snow conditions
gsb wrote:
Quote:

These are often kept at 'shops' for demo purposes, only reason the're not at the indoors is because the big chains won't allow it.

There are demos of the Atomics at Gloucester Ski and Snowboard Centre.
snow report
SkiBoardSki, How's everything going at Gloucester? Heard there was some bad feeling with the new owners there recently?

Confused
snow report
New owners meant a few things changed, as you'd expect, but all seems good now and the slope is about twice the length it used to be, so I'm happy. Very Happy
ski holidays
The d2 SL is the stiffest of the two, of which I have a championship winning pair for sale, 155 RD d2 +1018 ideal for strong racers on plastic. PM if interested
snow report
SkiBoardSki, Yeah tbh, unless you were racing or coaching there you would have been pretty oblivious to it all....allegedly, a lot of safety concerns if I remember.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy