Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sierra Nevada In The Summer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Spain, and staying near Alcaucin in Andalusia. We are going for a run out to the Sierra Nevada next week and just wondered what there is to do there? Will there be any pockets of snow left? What will the weather be like temperature wise? Also I want to go to the very summit of Pico Veleta, does the road go all the way to the summit and can you drive right up to the top? Can anyone recommend me and decent places to eat? Any suggestions welcome, cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to Granada & the Sierra Nevada some yrs ago, in autumn - September I think. Remember temps in Granada were about 27C. But we went to the villages on the south side: Lanjaron (like the water), Carataunas, Pampaniera, Bubion and Capileira. We stayed in a Finca just after the road went from tarmac to dirt track. The Owner said you could see Morocco when the air was clearer in spring.

I have dug out my Granada Map for you. Capileira is 1436m and we were sunbathing above it so the temps were pretty high. Even at 3000m+ I think you might need a jumper/jacket over your t-shirt, but maybe not. On the map it looks like the road goes up to about 3200m near Pico Veleta, then there is a dirt track right over the mountain range. I don't think the road will go right to the top.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what...snow, Thanks for that. So the road goes up to 3200m, wow! By far the highest road in Europe then! I will chuck in the car an extra t-shirt etc incase it's cold. Even with that elevation I don't think it would drop below 20c up at the top, it's 35-40c here at the moment! Any other suggestions of what to do up there etc? I will go from Granada up the main road to the ski bit then continue upwards if I can do on the road. Would love to get to the summit though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm I wouldn't rely on that sort of temperature that high. The weather can be completely different and change quickly. Still skiing at L2A at that altitude.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In fact the weather in Spanish is on http://sierranevada.es/estacion/en-pista/meteo.aspx
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, True. But only because of the glacier! Still can't find and definate reports on how high the road goes. One report says it stops at the ski resort. Others say is stops 200m from the summit, others say it's a dirt track and only used by ski patrol staff etc and others say it's Tarmac up to 3000m then you have to stop??? Very misleading!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, I rode my bike through them last week and saw a few patches of snow in the distance. Bloody hot on the lower roads though. We saw 45C on the coast.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went to the Sierra Nevada yesterday, very impressed with the place. The climb from Granada up to the ski resort is stunning and one of the best roads I've ever been on. The views are amazing. As we neared the top, the bloody cycling tour of Spain was on so the town was heaving. We parked in the underground carpark which hold thousand of cars (great for winter) then headed up the gondola and a chairlift to 3050 metres. The temp at the top, 13c with winds of 20mph. We had shorts and t-shirts on and it was fecking cold after nearly 2'weeks of 35-42c!!! Had a wander around, touched what must have been the southern most snow in Europe then headed back down to resort for some lunch. By the time we got down all the cyclists and Lycra clad tanned folk had vanished (thankfully) and the town was peaceful and fully open. We had a wander round and after our lunch which was very reasonably priced for a ski resort (€27 for 2, 3 course meals with drinks) we headed up to the highest road in Europe. Upon arrival in the car park, I couldn't believe my eyes, right there infront of me was a Bugatti Veyron!!! I've never seen one so took a few pictures of the black Veyron, then turned around to get back in the car only for there to be a White one at the other end of the car park! I went over and took a few pictures, the driver looks familiar and I'm sure he is famous and there is a picture below, any ideas??? The ski resort is very nice, very clean, tidy and for a ski resort, very pretty. I will be going back in winter for a trip but I will avoid weekends as it gets to busy and the main run back to resort is not very wide and quite steep, added with thousands of spaniards it will be chaos!!! Below are a few pics including the cars, the driver (guy in White t-shirt who I'm sure is famous) and some of the ski area and the most southern snow/ice in Europe???

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy