Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help...looking at booking my first snowboarding holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Newbie here so a BIG hi to everyone!
I am looking at booking a ski trip with my partner for Jan, I have never booked a ski holiday myself before.
Where do I start?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brochures? Google?

If you want any useful suggestions you might have to give people a bit more information regarding what you want and how much dosh you have to spend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hey,
sorry, I did think i hadn't put enough info on there.
right ive been boarding for about 4 years, ive only been on holiday once with my brother to Oberstorf 2 years ago. My Partner is a confident skier too.
We have around £2k and are looking at going for a week. Im not saying we are looking at using all of that as a good deal is always good. Ive had a look online at different site bit i'd like to book the whole thing from flights, acommodation, transfers and lift passes all in 1, or if anyone has any better suggestions on how i could book it and where?

My partner also needs to hire boots and skis where ever we go too so any ideas of rough hire prices too?

sorry if ive asked some novice questions, just want to make sire im booking it all ok.

Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easy way will be to book it with tour operator like Crystal Ski, Inghams or Nielson.
If you are going in January and are flexible I would wait and grab last minute deal.
My fav counry is Austria but you will get more offers to go to France and this will be safe bet for sure.
2K should be more than enough for a week for 2.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Tom, i'll have a look at the tour operator.
I was looking at France or Austria, where are the recommended places there? We are in our mid 20's so looking for some good resorts with good mountains and a bit of nightlife in the area.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria - Saalbach, Mayrhofen, Ischgl...... and many more, v.good night life and apres. There are fairly cheap B&B deals to Mayrhofen with tour operators.
France - hmm 3 Valleys, Tignes, Les Arcs, Les Deux Alpes, Serre Chevalier... There should be deals nearer the time for catered chalets..
Livigno in Italy is not bad if you are beginner or early intermediate, cheap, snowsure, good lifts, easy wide slopes but stay central for night life.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Tom, great help, thats the sort of info i was looking for wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To keep it simple you would be better off booking through an operator but beware brochure descriptions. After all, while they provide a guide, they are essentially advertisements. Have a look through them, choose a few resorts and then do some research on those. This site is good for starters. There is a search facility you can use. Once you have narrowed it down to a short list open this thread, tell us where you are thinking of going and you should get some further advise on your options.
Also have a look at.

http://www.ifyouski.com/ski-resorts.aspx

and

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/

FWIW Austria and Italy are cheaper than similar resorts in France although it can vary. Ischgl is very good for boarders and has great apres and night life but is expensive. A more reasonable choice in terms of cost would be Mayrhofen.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go to Austria in mid-Feb.

Warm, optimal snow, beginner-friendly, and buzzy not busy.

Your new addiction will cost you tens of thousands over the next few years snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi gazzarino,

If you are looking to book now for January, you could get something really quite nice for £2k.

If you go for one of the big resorts you'll need to keep out of that around €80 for boots and skis for your partner and around €500 budget for liftpasses as the prices of these depend on where you go, leaving you around 1500 for flights, transfers and accomodation.

If it's your first trip a catered chalet is probably the best bet as it'll give you a chance to meet some other folk, and you don't need to worry about cooking, finding restaurants etc at night when you're exhausted.

With that budget have a look at Inghams, VIP ski, Ski Val, YSE all of which have flights, transfers and chalets included in their prices and offer a bit of extra luxury without being too over the top.

Happy planning!
Heather
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had very good experiences with Ski Olympic in recent years, they run chalets in France, and basically all you need to do is get to the right airport with your bags packed and everything else is dead easy from there.

Worth a call, I don't think you will struggle with you budget - if you find a chalet for £500-750 each for flights, transfers, accommodation and most meals, then you've got spare for lift passes and gear hire and the odd meal and drinks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks everyone for your help... i'll start looking and planning and let you know how I get on Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds good - have a great trip!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gazzarino, some of this has been said, but for your first time:

Book with one of the majors (least chance of hassle), book late, and book everything all together. If you're quite gregarious, you might want to look at a chalet, if you and your partner like your own space, a hotel/apartment might suit better. Austria would be a good choice, though not the only one, but more importantly check the conditions, and choose on that basis, like for like.

You might be able to do it for a grand, as a couple, plus spending. Lessons would add more.

For a couple of grand you could have two weeks in Canada, plus spending.

Good luck.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks johny, ive been looking at thomas cook, what other major holiday companys do you recommend?

also ive been looking at Mayrhofen as it seem to look the liveliest in austria.

thanks
latest report
gazzarino, we always used Inghams before going diy. Always had a very good service and would recommend them
snow report
oh right, thanks, do they sort everything for start to finish then, as in - flights, accomodation, transfers, lift passes?
thanks for the info
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Your new addiction will cost you tens of thousands over the next few years snowHead

for once I agree Whitegold
latest report
First Choice, Thomas Cook, Thompson, Crystal, Neilson, Inghams etc etc though there is some overlap there with the TUI group companies.

There are a plethora of smaller companies that may give equal, or better service, but the majors generally offer the least chance of a headache, though no company are infallible.

Booking late try: http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/holidays/skiing/homepage.html

But if you book through any agent, it's not normally that difficult to find out which TO is offering the deal, and IMO it's always better to go direct.

Google is your friend.
snow report
 cran
cran
Just decide where you want to go, check you can get cheap flights and transfer, then use google (or whatever) to find the the cheap hotel deals with lift passes, book the hotel, book the flights and transfer... go on holiday...
ski holidays
Hey everyone, just thought i'd give you an update...

We went to Thomas Cook and booked Hotel Strass in Mayrhofen today.
Cost us £1779 all in with my partners ski and boot hire and lift passes too.

Has anyone else stayed at this hotel before?

Thanks
Garry
ski holidays
gazzarino wrote:
Hey everyone, just thought i'd give you an update...

We went to Thomas Cook and booked Hotel Strass in Mayrhofen today.
Cost us £1779 all in with my partners ski and boot hire and lift passes too.

Thanks
Garry

Why not walk away from the Travel Agents and ask this question before you book it?

I hope your holiday goes well but you could have done more than 5 days research before you spent £1800!!! Shocked

Mayrhofen does come highly rated but never been so can't really comment...as I said hope you enjoy it though! Very Happy
ski holidays
gazzarino, I haven't stayed in the Strass but it has a good reputation. It couldn't be more convenient, right next to the gondola. The hotel also has a night club and a bar open to the public, both of which are good. I really like Mayrhofen, decent skiing, good apres and nightlife and a pretty resort. There are a number of other resorts you can ski on the same lift pass. All in all I'd say you made a good choice.
snow report
gazzarino wrote:

Yes! Last week, so there was no snow Laughing .

Hotel was lovely, food great, staff very friendly and helpful. Pool and jacuzzi are in a separate area from the spa/sauna facilities so if you are a bit shy you can avoid the "nakedness compulsary" bits! I can certainly recommend it. In fact, we asked reception for a piste map as we were considering staying there in winter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy