Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Im new to snow heads so firstly sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section.

I am looking at booking a ski holiday for march and wondering if anyone has any advise on countrys and resorts.. I skied France, Les Arcs 2000 last season and the snow was great, beer prices not so great at 7 euro a pint.

I would like great snow and not to bad beer prices.

Cheers for reading.

Dan Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
danburley, Welcome to snowHead . Firstly March.snow conditions should be reliably good in most major Alpine resorts at the beginning of March, as the month progresses snow quality has a tendency to deteriorate on lower slopes and more south facing slopes, but even at the end of the month you should still be able to get decent skiing on the upper slopes of most resorts in most years.
Beer prices generally reckoned to be cheaper in Austria than France all prices are high in Switzerland at the moment. Obviously where you drink is important are you talking fashionable night clubs, mountain restaurants, resort cafes or take home supermarket beer. It ges progressivly cheaper. Less fashionable resorts arer usually a bit cheaper than more fashionable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
danburley, Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I can't really add much to T Bar's reply, apart from suggesting that you may also find Italy as well as Austria may have more reasonable drinks prices.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi danburley, Welcome to snowheads!

If you likes Les Arcs, but not the beer prices then please take a look at our catered chalets (link in my tag line). We are based in La Plagne which is just a short lift ride across on the Vanoise express lift, and we have complimentary bars with beer, wine and soft drinks in the chalets.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
danburley, Take a look around the ski amade area in Austria, around 1hr from Salzburg, made up of many ski resorts including Schladming, Flachau, Wagrain, Zauchansee, Gastein area, Mulbach in Hochkonig area. Huge ski area, good snow record despite being much lower than say les arcs and more importantly a selection of decent beers at around 3-3.5euros for a big one pretty much any where (in town or up the hills). Food is generally around 8-10Euros for a main course again in towns or on the hills. Apfel Strudel mit Schlag (cream) around 4euros (I only mention strudel as that's what I eat most the time). For the full on austrian apres ski experience (with many drunken brits, though no rioting) try St Anton (beer probably nearer 5ish I think), Mayrhofen, Saalbach ,Kitzbhuel to name a few. All the resorts I mention will be a lot prettier than Les Arcs, if that's your thing. Skied all over ski amade until late April last season despite the poor snow season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
waynos wrote:
danburley, Take a look around the ski amade area in Austria, around 1hr from Salzburg, made up of many ski resorts including Schladming, Flachau, Wagrain, Zauchansee, Gastein area, Mulbach in Hochkonig area. Huge ski area, good snow record despite being much lower than say les arcs and more importantly a selection of decent beers at around 3-3.5euros for a big one pretty much any where (in town or up the hills). Food is generally around 8-10Euros for a main course again in towns or on the hills. Apfel Strudel mit Schlag (cream) around 4euros (I only mention strudel as that's what I eat most the time). For the full on austrian apres ski experience (with many drunken brits, though no rioting) try St Anton (beer probably nearer 5ish I think), Mayrhofen, Saalbach ,Kitzbhuel to name a few. All the resorts I mention will be a lot prettier than Les Arcs, if that's your thing. Skied all over ski amade until late April last season despite the poor snow season.

Agree with all of this, but do be aware that the Amadé is not an interlinked area - some of the areas are pretty big (e.g. Schladming) but it's not on the scale of Les Arcs. That said, it's a fantastic area, really great skiing and conditions should be fine in March. It's much lower than a typical French area, but don't let that put you off, the snow record is very good and I had much better snow there last season than I found in France the previous week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sah, Agree I didn't make it 100% clear but as you say the individual areas such as schladming, flachau / wagrain do offer in themselves extensive linked skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stay high in March.

Western Europe is warming and drying.

Make sure the village is atleast above 1500 meters and the top slopes above 2800 meters.

France, Switzerland and Italy have most of the highest resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sah, Actually large areas are interlinked: St Johann/Alendorf to Zauchensee via Wagrain, Flachau, Flachau-Winkl and Kleinarl for instance.
Or Mühlbach via Dienten and Maria Alm and back
Reiteralm,Hochwuerzen, Planai, Hauser Kaibling and back.
Most one week a year UK skiers would not manage those and still party at the end of the day. I was absolutely cream-crackered doing the Schladming 4 valleys last season and I ski every week!

Having a car obviously broadens your horizons even more Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I know some of the areas are interlinked, but even so they are not the same scale as Les Arcs and the big French areas. As a whole the area is huge, and some of the areas have plenty of skiing, I spent 3 days on the Schladming mountains last winter, and had 2 days at Zauchensee. I'm not saying they are small but for someone used to Les Arcs it's worth pointing out the difference I think.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Stay high in March.

Make sure the village is atleast above 1500 meters and the top slopes above 2800 meters.

Plenty of resorts in Austria are lower than this and offer very reliable skiing in March. St Anton is at 1300m and is a very good bet for March for instance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sah, they are not as expensive either Laughing Lift passes, food and accommodation wink

I've skied extensively in all the alpine nations and I know where I prefer to be, despite being half French. Mileage on the map rarely if ever equates to miles under the feet for the average holiday maker. Brits seem to be obsessed with paying the most to cover the least. How come the USA and Canada resorts are not tarred with the same "mileage" brush? Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

How come the USA and Canada resorts are not tarred with the same "mileage" brush?

Good question!

We've found that there is a much wider variety of skiing (in terms of challenge) in the relatively smaller ski areas in the USA. From cruising runs to heart stopping chutes - and everything in between. Oh, and often no-one else in sight - even at Feb half term! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
sah, they are not as expensive either Laughing Lift passes, food and accommodation wink

... and the mountain restaurants are *much* better [worth going just to have the "riperl"], the beer is better, slopes much less crowded (except for Altenmarkt which seemed to be very busy for some reason), in the case of Schladming in particular the lift system is just incredible (heated 8-seater quads with padded saftey bars!).

My only regret is that we didn't get to try out any restaurants in the valley as we were staying half board.

I'd happily go back to the area. Then again I'd happily go back to Les Arcs too... but on balance I'd prefer Austria.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold wrote:
WFT are you waffling on about?
ski holidays
sah wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Stay high in March.

Plenty of resorts in Austria are lower than this and offer very reliable skiing in March. St Anton is at 1300m and is a very good bet for March for instance.

ignore him, he's a waste of time wind up merchant.
ski holidays
danburley, welcome to snowHead !!

For generally great snow in March plus decent prices both for the holiday and for beer then have a look at Andorra. You can get beer from as little as free Very Happy and when you do have to pay for it generally a pint is €3-4.
snow report
waynos wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
WFT are you waffling on about?

Average snowfall in the European Alps is falling about 5% a decade.

Glaciers are melting fast.

Time to get with the program, son.
snow report
sah wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Stay high in March.

St Anton is a snowpocket and a rare exception.

Most of Austria turns green by mid-March.

Much safer to head high and go to Switzerland, France or Italy.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Whatever.
ski holidays
Hi all, many thanks for the warm welcome and lots of replies,

I was looking at Andorra, Spain and Bulgaria but these seem to be pulling bad reports of snow in March. So at this moment i am open for any advise on resorts that i can look at. In my previous seasons i have only skied Les Arcs twice and Bavaria once.

Any links for hotels or resorts that you think are good please post below so i can look them up, we will be travelling as a party of 4-5 couples and looking for ski to door.

Cheers again

Dan Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Historically Andorra has excellent snow in March plus lots of sunshine so you get the best of both - it's normally better at the beginning of March as towards the end it's usually a case of skiing until just after lunch then head for a terrace for apres ski for BBQs. Usually get great dumps throughout the month, and excluding dodgy winters Europe wide such as last year, there's usually skiing in Andorra until late April.

If you're looking for ski to door then Andorra isn't great but there are a few options. In Pas de la Casa, which you'll either love or hate depending on what your personal/group preferences are, the slopes come into a horseshoe with several hotels/apartments around. In Soldeu you ski to the valley bottom and across a bridge to the centre of the village with quite a few hotels in the immediate vicinity, or El Tarter has the Hotel Nordic which is ski in/out but not much nightlife around. Finally you have Arinsal which has two hotels (Crest & Patagonia) at the bottom of a run (plus a lift right outside) but the main village has access to the slopes via a gondola.

Loads of photos of Andorra organised by month on the links in my signature.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
sah wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Stay high in March.

St Anton is a snowpocket and a rare exception.

Much safer to head high and go to Switzerland, France or Italy.

Balls, March is usually the best time for good snow, and lots of freshies, in Austria. Continental climate as opposed to the more temperate maritime climate in much of more western Europe (which is why you have to go higher there).
ski holidays
Why ski to door? If you can ski to door probably a bit tricky getting the car out and down the hill:)

Seriously, a lot harder to get ski in in Austria as a lot of the villages are in the valley as they are real villages as opposed to purpose built high altittude resorts. Never felt it was a problem, just aim for a hotel near uplift.

In Mayrhofen skiing in to village is impossible (large cliff in way) so everyone (mostly) comes down the Penkenbahn (no alternative routes involving skiing please, they all involve a bus at some point).

Well placed hotels in Mayrhofen include the Strass, the Bruckke, Mannis, or for a good B & B the Garni Glockenstuhl. The Hotel Perauer is quite reasonable at the mo and not far from the Penken. They have even offered us a 4 night stay with no supplement.

One of the TOs has a Chalet on the High Street too, can't remember which one off hand.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy