Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens Info

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! I've used this site as a lurker before so decided to register and try to get some advice because you all seem like such nice people!

Basically myself and some friends (14 last year) head away on a trip each year and I'm thinking of Val Thorens as a destination for next year. From looking at piste maps it seems like there's not a whole load of greens for the beginners, I'm just wondering would it be a tough resort for people to start in?

Also, how easy is it to access the rest of the Trois Vallées? Like would you make it to Méribel/Courchevel and back in the one day without having to get a bus/drive/get a yeti to help you?

And finally (phew!) what's the best area to stay in the town? I was looking at the Péclet quarter, is it possible to ski-in/out from there? Maps are a little unclear!

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's plenty of greens and blues around, no shortage for beginners or first couple of week skiiers. The runs in the centre of town can get a bit busier because typically that is where the kids practice and get lessons in many cases, but as long as they are ok with getting on and off a chairlift there's plenty of options.

It may seem like there's not a lot of greens as a proportion of total number of runs, but there is plenty enough to keep them happy.

I assume you mean more experienced skiers getting around the other bits of 3V? If you do, then you can get from one end of the 3V to the other and back in one day fairly comfortably, allowing a 10am start and an hour for lunch. You do need to make sure everyone is comfortable with spending a reasonable amount of time on lifts to do that, and it may require a bit of commitment to keeping speed up at the end of the day, but basically as long as you make it to the connecting lift to get home then you are ok. After a couple of days going to the next valley you will be happy going to the third knowing the route home, by the end of a week you'll be ok wth going from VT to Courchevel and back as intermediates.

I would aim for close to the lifts and town centre (both are basically the same place) and you will be fine. The best place, in my opinion, is the easiest one to get on the slopes in the morning, but they have a bus service that runs reliably through the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Monium, thanks a lot for that all that info!

Yeah there should be a few of a reasonable standard going so it sounds like we should be fine with hitting up the rest of the 3V, just didn't want to spend the extra €50 on the pass and find out it wasn't really worth it.

Yeah, I don't really want to have to bother with buses, booking independently you can pretty much choose where you want to go so I reckon we'll go for the centre alright.

Cheers!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When are you going? There are some significant discounts on lift passes before Xmas, worth bearing in mind because VT is high enough that snow isn't likely to be a problem. But the extra 50 Euros is worth it for anyone who has done more than a couple of weeks skiing IMO, unless conditions are particularly poor in the other valleys.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chillywilly, Good choice of resort, the piste skiing is generally not too challenging, but there are some good adventures to be had for the more experienced skiers. Its a bit more expensive that other areas, but not in the Coourchevel league.
The whole resort is ski in / out pretty much (there are even roller tracks over the roads so you don't have to take your skis off) The best area for liveliness is around the church. We stayed in Le Balcons and felt out on a limb, but fine as our group was pretty self suffiecient.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess we were more thinking of the first week of February or else then into March to avoid French school holidays I think, looks like 3V pass and accom for €320 pp which is pretty good. Do you know what the snow situation was like in 3V the last few years in early Feb? We were in Les 2 Alpes last year mid-Feb and it wasn't great, skied over grass once or twice lower down!

Just had a look for first week in Dec there in VT, that's crazy cheap, you can get accom and 3V lift-pass for about €200 pp Shocked Maybe a trip over to suss out the area first might be in order! Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It'd also be a good option for proper beginners as there are some free magic carpets to get them started (so a couple of days could be free) and a beginners pass with quite good coverage.

There's a Dutch bar that had a pretty good happy hour 4-6 each night this Easter and big beers were E2.50, can't remember the name but it's a wooden building at the top end of the village, just down from Le Frog and Rosbif.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Mountain Haddock, the skiing sounds pretty good there! I'm hoping to save enough on booking accommodation early and snapping up cheap flights that a bit extra in resort shouldn't matter too much. That's the plan anyway! How long did it take to walk from Le Balcon to the centre out of interest?

TotallyBoard, I'd say there will be a few beginners alright so that's good to know, cheers! Big beers, the best kind, haha!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its only 10 mins into the centre from Les Balcons, the uphill home at 2,200m was noticeable though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with Mountain Haddock, the '10' minute walk up to Balcons at the end of the night was challenging on the lungs due to the serious altitude. Great resort though, bucket loads of skiing, good nightlife and good access to the other valleys. In my opinion it's got everything Courchevel has without the additional 25% of cost..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

(there are even roller tracks over the roads so you don't have to take your skis off)

Mountain Haddock, The only place I've seen those is Austria. out of interest, where are the rollers in Val Thorens?

The Red Fox in the Balcons area is also worth a visit. A nice apres ski pub, with large beers at €3.50.

More or less everywhere in Val Thorens is either on the slopes or almost on the slopes, so you won't have far to go to reach the snow. The only exception could be the Balcons area, which is a steep "ski-in" and (depending on snow) is not always "ski-out."

It's a great choice of ski area for a mixed group! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll steer clear of the Balcons area for accommodation so! Thanks for all the tips! I'm starting to get excited now, even though it's probably 6 months away! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chillywilly wrote:
I'll steer clear of the Balcons area for accommodation so! Thanks for all the tips! I'm starting to get excited now, even though it's probably 6 months away! Very Happy

You don't have to go that route to get back to the Balcons - just get the lift back to the centre of town, and it is a couple of minutes walk at a gentle incline on a quiet road to get up to the apartments. I certainly wouldn't take it off the list on that basis - the less experienced may have a short walk but it is hardly a dealbreaker IMO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess I meant it more in terms of not having to walk too far for restaurants and/or beers in the evening. Also, the cheap accommodation I've seen seems to be relatively central so it's all gravy! By the way the Val Thorens websites are great, the reservation one especially! I was looking at some of the Italian ones and they're incredibly bad!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergmeister, On the main roads around the resort where an access track to a piste crosses over. I couldn't get my Icelantics into them however so didn't use them, and so cannot tell you exactly where they are. Theres more than one set though
ski holidays
Quote:

so it's all gravy!

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

What's that mean?
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

What's that mean?

Ah, sorry, I thought that was well known! It means "it's all good" or "no worries"!
ski holidays
Bergmeister, There are rollers in Italy as well, somewhere on the sella ronda, maybe Corvara if memory serves
snow report
Hi All.

The dutch bar is Le Monde.

The rollers are over the road in Montana if you were coming from l'Oxalys towards the bottom of the Funitel de Peclet.

I agree to stay away from balcons. I agree with Bermeister almost everywhere in VT is ski in/out.

There is a new lift this season (as well other things) helping out the Cote 'freeze my @*#s off' Brune lift which should make it quicker to do the 3Vs. Also some in Meribel and Courch i believe.

Stu
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy