Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for some Advice - Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
i've been some what of a lurker for several weeks so signed up a few days ago. Some very good info on here i must say Smile

In march the girlfriend and i had a long weekend in Fort William, and as a bit of a spur of the moment thing we went to the nevis range and had some skiing lessons. We are now well and truly hooked! Anyway as a result we're now planning our first skiing holiday for feb next year (before the french hols). So after doing a lot of reading on the internet and on here i've norrowed it down to Les Arcs.

We only live 15 mins away from a snow dome so we're taking lessons there (going really well) but my question is which is the better village for us 1800 1950 or 2000? i know that 1800 is bigger and better apres-ski but i've seen a very good deal for a catored chalet in Les Arcs 2000. Now from what i can gather this is less suited to outright beginners but with us taking lessons i'm unsure about if we'll be fine or not? Some of the blue runs look like theres sections of red at either the beginning or end of them which is somthing to consider. We will be booking lessons for while we're out there and the Spirit school in 1950 is only 5 mins away from 2000. Before i saw this deal i was originally leaning to 1800 but the accommodation in 2000 is a whole £1000 less which is not to be sniffed at (it will buy us some boots) lol.

Anyway looking for a bit of input & advice from people that have done it all before.

Russ
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

the accommodation in 2000 is a whole £1000 less which is not to be sniffed at

certainly isn't! Can't help on Les Arcs, but lots of people can. Just wanted to say welcome to snowheads. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Russeh, Welcome to Snowheads..

Good plan on booking before the Frenchies holidays, makes the place much less busy - I don't think there's much to choose from in terms of access on blues to/from 1800 / 1950 or 2000. The main run into 1800 under the transarc is picture below (click on the link for a larger picture) and can get a bit icy & busy, especially as people take some speed to head across to the Vagere

If you end up staying in 2000 then on the first day, you can always take the cabriolet lift down to 1950 and then walk, pole on the flat across to the sprit ski school meeting point. The runs back into 2000 are pretty flat and easy for the last part, and no doubt you're instructor will take you on a piste appropriate to your skills.

Just check the chalet in 2000 isn't run by alpine elements

Enjoy the trip...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yeah pam - its a great deal mainly because the chalet is a little cheap than the hotel in 1800 we were looking at and it includes lift passes and equipment.

bertie - stunning picture i could go just for the view alone Smile so you reckon there isnt a lot in it then in terms ofa beginners perspective? the peist map suggests its a blue run between 2000 and 1950 reckon we could ski it to the school? the spirit website suggest so anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Russeh, I don't know anything much about Les Arcs either I'm afraid, but bertie bassett is something of an expert, as are a few others on this forum. Worth listening to their advice as it will be a whole lot more accurate than any TO wink Oh and welcome to snowHeads... and to your new addiction! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Russeh, Hi and welcome to Snowheads, the real expert on Les Arc is Snowcrazy, I am sure he may pop along sometime soon.

If this is your first week away then I would say 1800 would be your better bet for Nursery slopes, however the deal in 2000 sounds very very good, 1800 is more self catered than chalet operations.

The other part of Les Arc is Peisey which has good chalets and a very good nursery area, with a long blue back down through the trees back to the resort of Peisey. Its also quieter on the Peisey side than 1800 and 2000 but the night life is not as good/varied, but there are some good chalet deals in Pesiey.

The 2000 area is in a large bowl and has some great blues as well as easy reds, however this means it can be more exposed to the bad weather.

We were in 1800 last year and my daughter was with us who was only doing her second week, she found it fine from 1800 and also 2000

I hope it all goes well for you, where ever you end up I am sure you will love Les Arcs, especially when its quieter out of the French Holiday season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My first post as well so please take it easy on me Happy, I spent 2 weeks at 1800 Les archs this year in jan found it to be very good, as ure a beginner there are some good good slopes and wide right outside the door if u go right as u look at the mountain you won't go too wrong in the first few days, though it was getting very icy at times, In sure u will love it

Ps youse the spar shop on the left hand side of 18,00 it's far cheaper
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hollos, And a welcome to snowHeads to you too. Very Happy Great first post.... let's hope it's not your last. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Russeh, 2000 is fine for beginners - the spirit1950 boys will take good care of you if you decide to book there. If concerned on day 1, the free cabriolet between the two villages take you down to 1950, and the meeting place is right in the middle of the village. But after that, a little warm up down the blue is fine (it only isn't a blue when it is full of ski schools, and since the ESF in 2000 start 30 mins before Spirit, it can be a little crowded just at that time when you want to come down...)

As above, plenty of blue runs back to 2000, some flatter than others it is true.
But 1800 is great too, and although I don't know the schools over that side, I'm sure they won't put you in too much difficulty.

2000 used to be a bit tatty and run down, but the new developments of bars, restaurants, bowling alley and suchlike have certainly revived the place in the last 18 months. Having 1950 built just down the road has I think stirred a few otherwise complacent developers to get on with sorting it out, and between the pair of the villages, certainly a much better experience than before.

PS welcome to snowHead and to Hollos too
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Russeh, I may repeat what others have said so sorry if I go over old ground. But overall if the price is £1,000 different then definitely go for Arc 2000!

What you'll find in 2000 if you're staying in a chalet is that its a tiny bit of a faff to get to the slopes as a beginner. You'll have a pretty short walk to the slopes whereever your chalet is (no more than 50m or so), but then you have a small button lift up to the main area. If you're taking lessons, then to get to your ski school meet point in the mornings you'll either need to take this button lift, walk up the small slope about (30m - 40m), or get an elevator up then ski down a gentle slope from the entrance of one of the hotels. Certainly not too much in it whatever you do, but it'll not quite be as "ski in ski out" as you may think (some of the tour operators do describe it as such). But if you're comfortable on a small button lift (and if you go to the snowdomes you should be) then its no problem. You might want to avoid skiing down it at the end of the day though and go for the lift back to your accommodation.

Once you're up on the slopes, I don't believe there's too much difference between many of the Les Arcs villages for beginners. There are some nice gentle blues around 2000 that will get you going and give you a chance to explore, and once you've found your feet the Arc 2000 bowl is a great place to get some mileage under your skis without ever feeling like you're straying too far away from home. You mention that some blue slopes around 2000 have reds to begin with; that may be the way it looks on the map but in actual fact you'll be completely fine, the reds and blues just often start from the same point, there are no bits on most of the blues where you'll have too many problems, the bowl is overall very gentle.

If it is a chalet that you're looking for rather than self-catered accommodation or hotels, then you'll most likely be just looking in Arc 2000. Some of the TOs do have chalets elsewhere in resort but they're few and far between and unless based in Plan Peisey/Vallandry, they likely won't be all that close to the slopes.

In terms of lessons you'll have a few choices. The main choice will be ESF in Arc 2000, they're the national French school and the biggest in the country, and tehre are one or two others based in 2000. Spirit are the only company based in 1950 but as you know that's only 5 minutes or so away, and if needs be you can get the cabriolet down or, when you're more comfortable, you can just ski right into the heart of 1950. Spirit have a guarantee that you'll only ever been in a group of 10 or less students. With ESF its a gamble as there is no fixed limit but in the normal weeks it really shouldn't be an issue, it's just in the busier weeks French holiday weeks that its not uncommon to see much higher group numbers.

I lived in Arc 1800 last season, and I thought of all the villages it was the liveliest out there. But 2000 has some very nice bars and restaurants, even a nightclub if you do fancy a late night or two, plus a ten pin bowling centre. Also some of the chalets have shared swimming pools, an added bonus if that's what you're looking for. You also have the free lift down into Arc 1950 which, while a fair bit pricier, gives you the option of heading somewhere different for a drink of an evening. If you're going for the catered route then you don't have to worry too much about restaurants, in a chalet you'' be very close to a couple of pubs (Whistlers Dream and Crazy Fox) which are ideally located for a deserved apres-ski beer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
what accommadation have you found cheap in Arcs 2000? I am also considering ths location
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks ever so much everyone for the very detailed info, very useful! I think i'm sold on arc 2000 and it sounds great for us and not just becuase the price is right Smile

Dav - that does sound like a bit of faff the TO in this case has described it as ski in/out but if you read carefully it actually says "almost sk in/out" lol you've got to laugh! its not a must have thing for us but what is more important is not having too far a walk in ski boots! We've already using button lifts so that shouldn't be a problem for us, unless its one of those that goes a milion miles an hour.

Re the ski schools, ESF look to be cheaper but i've heard lots of positive things about spirit 1950 and stories of non english instructor with 18 in a group with ESF! we're actually looking at maybe to private lessons as we've experienced both group and private before and you learn so much better with a one on one.

i'd look at 1950 but there mostly self catered appartments and we want half board or chalet catered. Nither of us really wants to start having to go shopping or cooking after a big day skiing lol, but we would like to have the option to go out and eat at a restaurant.

while i remember what kind of temperature are we looking at for the beginning of Feb are we talking double digit below zero or around the zero mark, 10 degrees? i have no idea.

Crunchie13 - i'd rather not say until we're booked, its not really that much cheaper than anywhere else but as a whole package its quite a big saving between the 2 of us.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

what kind of temperature are we looking at for the beginning of Feb are we talking double digit below zero or around the zero mark, 10 degrees?

all of the above - you'll need to be prepared for anything, including unseasonally warm temperatures. Impossible to say, but most years that's a great time to ski.

Given what you say about the ski lessons you've done so far, and how keen you are, I'd agree that some private lessons are probably a good idea. You'll have a fantastic holiday.

(But if you go on a half board or catered chalet deal you'll probably not want to waste money you've already paid going out to eat, except on the staff night off in the case of a chalet).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russeh, just to allay any fears you may have about the location: it's still very good and very, very easy to get to the slopes if you can get on a button lift. Its not quick, and very short, so if you can get on and off the snowdome lift you'll be absolutely fine with this one. All the chalets in 2000 are between 10 metres and 50 metres from the bottom of that drag lift, and the walk is along a quiet road. So its still very easy, I just wanted to make you aware that its not the "ski in ski out" I know some TOs proclaim it to be.

Personally, I would absolutely go with private lessons if you're looking to do it together with the 2 of you. I'm going with prices from ESF from last year as I don't know Spirit's (I worked in 1600 and 1800 so only dealt with ESF), but you're looking at 40 euros per hour for 2 people learning, and you shouldn't need more than 2 hours at a time of intensive learning. So that's 80 euros per day. Group lessons will cost you 150 euros each per week with ESF. Admittedly you get 6 days of 3 hours, but the one-to-one time you'll get is far, far less than with private instruction where they'll really work hard on your technique at all times. You're much better off doing 3 or 4 days of private lessons for around the same price, in my opinion.

As I said, I never dealt with Spirit, but I do know that the guests that did use them found them very good. But then I rarely had any problems with ESF, and certainly none with private instruction. Of course, it's all about the instructor you get, so it's a chance who you go with. If you book private lessons then you have the choice of staying with a good instructor or changing if you find they're not that great. You could even try both ESF and Spirit, if you wanted to!

If you're set on 2000 I would definitely go for a chalet rather than a hotel. I found the standard of a lot of the hotels and apartments up there to not be that great; very 70s and dated. The chalets in general were much better.

If you get it booked up and know the name of your chalet then let us know.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

what kind of temperature are we looking at for the beginning of Feb are we talking double digit below zero or around the zero mark, 10 degrees?

all of the above - you'll need to be prepared for anything, including unseasonally warm temperatures. Impossible to say, but most years that's a great time to ski.

Given what you say about the ski lessons you've done so far, and how keen you are, I'd agree that some private lessons are probably a good idea. You'll have a fantastic holiday.

(But if you go on a half board or catered chalet deal you'll probably not want to waste money you've already paid going out to eat, except on the staff night off in the case of a chalet).

hum right ok will pack for all conditions then, just trying to gauge it really i'm the sort of person that dosnt get cold very easily, i have my jacket undone at the snowdome or i get too warm. i think i need to aquire some of these icebreakers/UnderArmor stuff or equiverlant for the very cold conditions.

dont mind waisting one or 2 nights eating out, we're going to have to spend our money on somthing while we're there haha Smile
latest report
Dav wrote:
Russeh, just to allay any fears you may have about the location: it's still very good and very, very easy to get to the slopes if you can get on a button lift. Its not quick, and very short, so if you can get on and off the snowdome lift you'll be absolutely fine with this one. All the chalets in 2000 are between 10 metres and 50 metres from the bottom of that drag lift, and the walk is along a quiet road. So its still very easy, I just wanted to make you aware that its not the "ski in ski out" I know some TOs proclaim it to be.

Personally, I would absolutely go with private lessons if you're looking to do it together with the 2 of you. I'm going with prices from ESF from last year as I don't know Spirit's (I worked in 1600 and 1800 so only dealt with ESF), but you're looking at 40 euros per hour for 2 people learning, and you shouldn't need more than 2 hours at a time of intensive learning. So that's 80 euros per day. Group lessons will cost you 150 euros each per week with ESF. Admittedly you get 6 days of 3 hours, but the one-to-one time you'll get is far, far less than with private instruction where they'll really work hard on your technique at all times. You're much better off doing 3 or 4 days of private lessons for around the same price, in my opinion.

As I said, I never dealt with Spirit, but I do know that the guests that did use them found them very good. But then I rarely had any problems with ESF, and certainly none with private instruction. Of course, it's all about the instructor you get, so it's a chance who you go with. If you book private lessons then you have the choice of staying with a good instructor or changing if you find they're not that great. You could even try both ESF and Spirit, if you wanted to!

If you're set on 2000 I would definitely go for a chalet rather than a hotel. I found the standard of a lot of the hotels and apartments up there to not be that great; very 70s and dated. The chalets in general were much better.

If you get it booked up and know the name of your chalet then let us know.

well you've deffinetly put us in the picture on some of the unknowns re getting to the slopes. With the private lessons are they priced per person or per instructor. i know it should be fairly obvious but in the example you gave above is that 80 euros between us or each? sounds silly but i get the picture they like to squeeze you for as much as they can get away with. Maybe i should give ESF another look then espeically if we definetly go for the private option, as you say it will come down to the individual instructor in the end. Never crossed my mind to consider using both!

ill let you know where we book into in the end, i just need to let the other half have a look at it first see if she likes it. Its all very exciting though, we've got an extended lesson next week after which we'll be at a level that we're able to go there and practice on our own which i'm looking forward to.
ski holidays
Private lessons, you pay for the instructor. With ESF you pay 40 euros per hour for 1-2 people learning in the group, then it goes up if you have more in the group. Spirit are more expensive, I think around 50 or 55 euros per hour.

So if the two of you did two hours with ESF, that's a total of 80 euros. Do 4 days and its 320 euros. Compared to two lots of 150 euros each for a week (6 days x 3 hours) of group lessons.
ski holidays
Russeh, weather up there can be from anything to anything - one fortnight in March 6 years ago in 1950 we went from -18C to +12C - an 30 degree swing in a few days... Mini-roll was three at the time and in lessons, often having to come in for chocolate and cuddles with the instructor every hour in week one, but we were barely able to get the snow suit on her in week two.

But generally 0-10 below covers most days. Mind you, can be bitter up at the top when the wind's blowing. That's mountains for you!

Spirit1950 private lessons are good, and have been used effectively where we've had guests who are nervous about skiing with others, but technically sound (or indeed, taking intermediates out of their comfort zone). The group lessons, as above, are guaranteed to be small classes so may be cost effective for you.

Dav gives sound advice on access and quality - the later builds (chalets clustered around the based of the village, or apartments at the top - look at Google Earth and see if you can spot where your accommodation is) are reasonable, and compete with 1950. Not so the older stuff.
latest report
We always go Jan time and tend to wear a layer of thermals - long sleeve top and bottom, a lightweight fleece top and a ski suit. plus long socks, double layer quality gloves, hat or helmet, and I take both goggles and sun glasses. I also take a face protector snood 'type' thing that I have round my neck but can pull over my face o long cold lifts

Once you go up the glacier it can be bitter so take layers and def take thermals, sometimes I will go without the middle fleece layer though
snow report
Quote:

i have my jacket undone at the snowdome or i get too warm.

what makes the biggest difference is wind - even when the temperature is below zero, if the sun's shining and there's no wind, no problem (unless you ski really fast!). But once the wind starts blowing...... you soon feel it. Need to fill all the gaps - neck fleece is good and a balaclava (a thin one if you wear a helmet). No comparison with a snowdome, really - where the temperature range is pretty small. Much nicer, out in the mountains. snowHead
snow conditions
dav When you compare the cost of 2 lots of groups lessons vs private its a no brainer!

Artic Roll ,Chrunchie13,pam w

Thats quite a wide range of temperatures! and thanks for pointing out things you dont think of like being sat on a lift getting cold, i can imagine you're quite exposed on them. I've got a 20k ski jacket and several fleeces so just need to invest in some base layers and "snood" type things Smile. my other half dosnt have a propper ski jacket instead shes got like a regatter water/wind proof walking coat. will this be sufficent with other layers or does she need to think about getting a propper ski jacket? Also with thermals and other clothes how many pairs of these do you need for a week?

i wont ask about helmets, having looked at another thread on here i can see its a saw subject. wink
ski holidays
Ok can only speak for myself, and I maybe a scuss, but I have one pair long johns and two long sleeve thermal tops.3 pairs of socks. One hat and one neck thing.

Somehow that does me, albeit I possibly smell by the last day.

I would do a ski jacket for your partner, to be honest I wear it in the UK too as a coat as it is a tweed jacket!
ski holidays
cool - well that gives me some idea on numbers.

yeah if she gets a jacket i'll try and make sure she goes for a sensible colour, i dropped the ball a bit and got lime green. Looks awesome but you wouldnt want to wear it for every day use lol.
ski holidays
Russeh,

worth taking account of the fact that on the slopes, with helmets, baggy suits and a lot if white background, everyone looks the same. A distinctive colour or shaped jacket (to go with your gait - no doubt recognised immediately by loved ones, despite themselves) does aid distant identification and reduces lost party syndrome.

Number of times I've been watching who I thought was Mrs Roll coming down the slope only to find I'd been staring at some other woman, (MY excuse, and I'm sticking to it!) and indeed, when I'm not wearing a particularly fetching green snowboarding jacket while skiing, have been told the chicks following me have been tempted to veer off after another mother hen. Or at least... that was THEIR excuse.

But if you buy her white, blue or red top and bottom, she'll look like a thousand others in the herd out there. Go for a distinctive combo of jacket and trousers.

Meanwhile... in the vein of Crunchie13: socks last two days ( but I alternate - so three pairs for the week, wearing on day 1&4, 2&5, 3&6) jackets can be dried out overnight even if totally soaked in rain, so last the week; base layers: probably best for 1 per day, but can do 2 if you change as soon as you get in (depending on your sweat levels), and everything else dries on a radiator no problem.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 18-08-11 13:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Russeh, welcome to snowheads... are you the Russeh I know from elsewhere?

Can't really help with the differences between 1800, 1950 or 2000 I'm afraid.

With regard to lessons I'd perhaps suggest joining in group lessons, as not only are they cheaper they will also add to the sense of fun... even though you've been to the snowdome there will still be plenty to learn and in groups you will be with others who are about the same level (or should be).... I found adult get a great sense of comraderie (sp?) from group lessons, watching others make as silly falls as you give you all a sense of equality plus if your wife doesn't fancy skiing in the afternoon there's bound to be one of your fellow pupils who does so saves you skiing on your own.
latest report
Its worth noting that clothes dry really quickly in the mountain air. Must be because of the low humidity.

That way you can get away with less base layers/socks than one every day. 2 or 3 of each for a week is plenty. If your not too smelly then just alternate to give them a bit of air. If you pong a quick rinse in the sink, dry on a hanger and its good to go the next day.
snow report
marcellus, blimey small world yeah its me off the other forum Smile btw where were you at the big car show earlier this month?

yeah i see the arguments for group lessons in terms of the social aspect but having first hand expereince of groups vs private the latter wins hands down, at least from a learning curve point of view.

Flet©h, that seems like a good plan actually, get a few pairs of things and then just alternate between them, and assuming we have somewhere to let them dry we can rinse them out between uses. i think theres a laundrette within the chalet complex we're looking at which might turn out to be useful.
ski holidays
Hi, We tend to ski in Les Arcs at Easter, I love skiing under blue skies and I hate being cold! I also have to stick to school holidays.

My latest ski jacket has a zip out fleece which has been ideal, on a cold day the fleece stays in but on most days I just ski in the outer. I would really recommend this type of jacket for your other half. I use the outer as a waterproof at home.

I have had group and private lessons in the past. I agree that you learn much more quickly in a private lesson but I much prefer the social aspect of group lessons. You will probably end up skiing with some of them outside of lesson times.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russeh, Re being cold and multi layers. I've never had to wear thermals (body or leggings) even before my layer of blubber appeared! At the most a roll neck type of shirt under the jacket. I have used a buff, goggle and helmet or wooly hat and certainly a good pair of gloves. Interestingly, in the same conditions the GF and kids did have issues with the cold. I think is usually down to the quality of the clothing that's the issue.

I have had lots of group lessons over the years but always learned far more in private lessons. From an enjoyment level, as a beginer, the group lessons were far better though.

I stayed in 1800 in the Alpage du Chantel area, quality apartments. It does require you to ski down to the ski school meeting area, alternatively take a short ride on a bus. Never really spent much time on nightlife in 1800, far too tired
snow conditions
Russeh wrote:
marcellus, blimey small world yeah its me off the other forum Smile btw where were you at the big car show earlier this month?

Hello mate, small world indeed.................... Didn't do FF but did do Wilton
snow report
Well its happening, booked the holiday yesterday. Chalet Sabine, Arc 2000 with Crystal. Just looking at insurance now, can anyone recomend a repitable company(s) ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy