Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix pistes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heading to chamonix for the 1st time this winter and have read differing views regarding the difficulty of the slopes . Some say there isn't much difference with those in other French resorts and others saying thy are slightly more difficult. We would like to try all the pistes but dont want to end up on something out of our depth!! How do they compare with those of tignes and val d sere? We previously skied face, trolles and leisse runs there and found them mostly ok .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are plenty of people on SHs with much more knowledge of Chamonix than I have, who will probably be along in a minute. But remember that there is a very wide range of pisted slopes in the Chamonix Valley. Les Houches and Le Tour are generally pretty gentle. And snow conditions make a huge difference. For example, I skied Leisse with my son (who was working in Val D'Isere) and it was pretty easy - I'm no mogul skier, and I got down it fine. However, it had been not long been pisted - my son, who is a good skier, said the previous time he'd skied it it'd had huge great moguls and was quite challenging. When he finds something challenging I find it unpleasant...

On his advice I didn't ski down Face that day, as he said it would be icy and nasty towards the bottom - but he assured me that at other times, I'd enjoy it.

I think the big thing about Chamonix is the off-piste, and the Grand Montets - some of which you'd be daft to do without a guide. But there's no shortage of them in Chamonix!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10196986, hello and welcome.

The main differences are at the Grands Montets. The pistes from the top are long- with about 900m descent before you get back to a lift- that is about 3 times what is normal in Tignes / Val D'Isere, there is no 'easy way down' there are just 2 unpisted black runs, they are much much longer than Face or Trolles and have steep bits in them- but probably not as steep as Epaule de Charvet, the snow is often great, the first section is often icy, cut up bumps and windy as anything, almost everyone else will be good (normally) and the slopes are usually very quiet and for some this is great for others terrifying. The views are breath taking.

For what its worth in April my wife and her friend took my eldest- aged 9 and friends twins aged 7 down - although there was a bit of trauma when one of the twins fell over and lost a ski which ended up a fair way off piste. (the issue about the off piste is that at the top it is glaciated with crevasses in it). An ESF instructor sucked his teeth at them all. How I laughed. I have also skied down them with the same 3 kids. I was on telemark skis and they kindly waited for me.

So - in summary. Long , steep pistes, ungroomed but with good snow, rarely busy and in a beautiful high mountain environment. No easy way down and a couple of steep sections which might see a bit of sitting down (in)action from some 'can get down most blacks' types. Easy if you are 7. Great food / lunch stops as well if you look.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
10196986, Hello,, I agree with pam w, U cant Compare Chamonix with something else realy, the big thing in Chamonix is the offpist skiing on Grands Montets, so if you like to skiing slopes, there is alot of better place for you
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really enjoyed skiing in Chamonix and Argentiere as a middle-of-the-road intermediate skier, especially Les Grands Montets when the black runs had the status of itineraries - not unduly difficult and spectacularly beautiful. I understand you can say the same for the Vallee Blanche (with a guide, on one of the easy routes) but I'm too scared of the wallk on the arret to do it. Embarassed I also loved the black from the top of Brevent - again nothing unduly steep or narrow that I can recall, but maybe my memory is inaccurate. Anyway, I certainly wasn't an advanced skier and there was plenty in the Chamonix area to keep me happy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica, argh th eBlack from th etop of Brevent- Charles Bozon - is only black if you don't take the track and ski straight down- it is really steep but there is an easy track that is also labled black.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
freeheelskier wrote:
10196986, Hello,, I agree with pam w, U cant Compare Chamonix with something else realy, the big thing in Chamonix is the offpist skiing on Grands Montets, so if you like to skiing slopes, there is alot of better place for you

Although I see where your coming from and agree to an extent, Chamonix is a place like no other (that I've visited anyway) where the views of Europes highest mountain never cease to amaze. Your average skier can have an unforgetable trip and leave you dreaming of going back...others however hate it (buses, often not possible to ski back to resort, etc)! The pistes on the Brevent and Flegere side of the valley are all doable for competent skiers and will take a couple of days to tick them all off with another day to repeat your fav's. From this side of the valley you will prob take numerous photos of Mont Blanc and the Mer de Glace. Le tour can be skied in a day but is my fav place for piste riding in the valley due to the cruisey nature of the place with easy, unglaciated off piste back to Le Tour or better still off the Vallorcine side. The far back is often unstable though so a guide early in the holiday to show you the 'safe' routes would be advised!
And then there is Grand Montets...I generally advise newcomers to Cham to try the at least 1 of the 3 other areas, ideally Flegere, to look across the valley and look at the mountain GM is on. Then head up mid holiday, if you like it then you can return to explore, if not head back to your other fav's. If your sticking to the pistes, again a competent skier should do it all but they are steep and a little boring (my opinon obviously!) to get the most out of GM hire a guide. Finally if I were just hiring a guide for 1 day and it's the first time to Cham (which you've already said it is) I'd prob use the day doing the Valley Blanche, an easy, stunning route from the Aiguille du Midi one of the highest lifts in the world (I'll happily be corrected if I'm wrong...but its high at 3842m)!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
10196986, I went to Chamonix in my third week of skiing and stayed for four weeks - there were plenty of pistes to ski for someone at such an early stage. I loved it so much that I have been back every year, several times a year. I've also taken complete beginners to Chamonix and they coped just fine.

Things to know about Chamonix:

1. There are only two areas that can be accessed from Chamonix town by a bit of walking (Brévent and Aiguille, although the Aiguille side is strictly off-piste). All areas are easily accessible from Chamonix town by car/bus, with the furthers (Balme-Le Tour) only 20 minutes by bus, faster by car

2. All ski areas are serviced by a regular, free bus service

3. Only two of the ski areas are linked (Brévent and Flégère). You will need to use a car/bus to get to the other areas if you want to move across to the other areas in the same day

4. With the above in mind, you will need a car or be willing to use the bus service, which can be crammed during peak times

5. There is an incredible vibe in Chamonix town during the winter months, all day and night but especially at night

6. You will not want for restaurants, bars, shops, boutiques, supermarkets, cinema, theatre, exhibitions, etc.

7. Even if you try to speak French, most people will respond in English

8. There's a wonderful multicultural mix of visitors, seasonnaires and ex-pats comprising Scandies, Japanese, Brits, Canadians, Aussies, Saffas and French throughout the season (and Russians in early January)

9. It is a narrow, winding valley walled by the most incredible vertical mountain terrain, which gives it an intimate feel. Although one of my friends did say he found it a little claustrophobic, so it depends on what you like. Once you're up on the mountains, though, the terrain opens up to wide vistas depending on where you are skiing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the info. Think we should be ok - will keep on eye on the conditions and take it from there! I know about the split nature of the town etc and it sort of put us off going over the years but have to try the place as many people rave about it!! been to zermatt and few other places where there isn't door step skiing and it doesn't really bother me. My non skiing in laws are going and was also one of the reasons we choose chamonix and by the sound of it there is plenty for non skiers to do. Is anyone aware of pedestrian lift passes ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few years back they did a 5 lift pass for pedestrians which could used over the space of a week. A warning though in that to get to the top of Brevent (a must for non-skiers) it is 2 lifts and count as 2...there is obviously a story that makes me say that! The others can be used to meet for lunch at Flegere with a great views of the Mer de Glace, Le Tour and GM. The old rack and pinion train upto Montervers, a close up look at the Mer de Glace and ice caves makes a good day out if you take up a picnic lunch and a small wildlife museum which occupies 30mins if your waiting for the train back. A trip up the Agiuille du Midi is a memory that wont be forgotten however its not cheap for what is essentially a ride in a couple of gondolas...it is breathtaking though! Had a couple of great family trips to Chamonix with non-skiers you should love it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
manicpb,
Quote:

Had a couple of great family trips to Chamonix with non-skiers

Me too. It's helpful if the non-skiers have a car, though (also for the skiers - the non-skiers can pick them up at the end of the day! wink )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Vallee Blanche is, of course, off piste but it is easy off pist and really spectacular. (there are tougher routes for good skiers). If you have done some off piste it is a marvellous introduction to skiing in the wild. You do need a guide, however, since it is a glacier, so you need to avoid crevasses. The best way is to make a group with some others to share the cost (6 is most economic)- though there may be outfits which will put a group together themselves (perhaps someone on here knows). He will book a slot on the cable car which is much in demand. The only hairy thing about the whole experience is the walk along a snowy ridge at the start to where you can put your skis on. There is a rope to hold and your guide will rope you all together so you are safe, but the drop, down beside you is quite scary.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy