Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying used skis - ebay

Poster: A snowHead
My brother-in-law is looking to buy cheap skis & boots on ebay and has asked me to help him. The cost of hiring in Switzerland is about £150 at todays exchange rate (he is also looking to buy for his 2 teenage kids). They've all been for 3/4 weeks so I'll be looking at entry level stuff.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can't buy boots on ebay. You'll waste hundreds finding a pair that actually fit. Where is he based? There's quite a few ski shops that have secondhand boots that you can try on.

For skis, keep an eye on the right length, and bargains do come up on ebay.

Has he thought about renting from the UK? Teenage kids aren't going to be using the same stuff for long.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monium, He's based in Coventry. I don't know of any shops near that sell 2nd hand stuff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jzBun wrote:
My brother-in-law is looking to buy cheap skis & boots on ebay and has asked me to help him. The cost of hiring in Switzerland is about £150 at todays exchange rate (he is also looking to buy for his 2 teenage kids). They've all been for 3/4 weeks so I'll be looking at entry level stuff.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this?

Renting for the teens is better option in my opinion, ebay is alright if you can find a best piece but going for the local store is even better.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jzBun, yes!

I have bought second hand skis both from ebay and snowheads and this was easy- although I made a mistake getting some skis that were a bitt wrong or me first time (of course this can happen with a shop as well).

I have also bought second hand boots for kids from ebay- very small and have also had second hand boots for kids from UK shops- v good.

You could possibly get boots on ebay and if the price was right (ie dirt cheap) put up with a less than perfect fit if you had a good idea which sort of boot / size was likley to fit your foot- but I guess you don't. A skiing holiday with a teenage family won't come cheap- why spoil the ship????????

I really think that perhaps he'd be best renting- (and I am a notorious skinflint)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've bought 2 pairs of skis from ebay.de, got a good price for both of them and delivered ok. I think there is more choice on German ebay and the last time I looked the prices were better too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jason1, welcome to SnowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jzBun, I've bought 2 pairs of skis on ebay and have been delighted both times. The first time I was even embarrassed as the price was so low! With your help and support, pictures and asking the right questions potentially buying skis via eBay is a sensible option. Pricing of skis now is likely to be far more favourable than in the December -March period.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jzBun, I've brought both skis & boots on Ebay, ok some have been poor buys but the others have worked out as diamonds. The one pair of skis has done me well for 3 weeks skiing and are going strong for a very low price, which I could possibly recoup if I were to put them back up on Ebay. Certainly buyer beware ! ask questions and don;t be afraid to leave some sales well alone, if in doubt DON'T... Similarly dont get cought up in a bidding frenzy, work out how much you wish to risk (as there is risk involve), bid & stick to it. Avoid ex-hire skis, unless there are good photos and proof of condition.
Noisey
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jason1, Welcome to SnowHeads.

Quote:
Renting for the teens is better option in my opinion, ebay is alright if you can find a best piece but going for the local store is even better.

Ski & boot hire in Murren is being quoted at CHF200.00, which is about £165 at today's exchange rate. That's nearly £500 for my by BIL to fork out.

Buying cheap used gear on ebay seems the best option as his son (16) and his daughter 18 will no doubt grow, improve and want to buy their own gear over the next couple of years.

My BIL's pretty skint at the moment, so why the hell has he booked to go to the Jungfrau region? Don't ask!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's all about timing, if you buy gear at the end of season from EB or S&R it can actually be cheaper than 2nd hand stuff on eBay bought at the beginning of the season. I have actually bought stuff for my wife at half price used it for a couple of weeks put it on eBay 2 or 3 weeks before Xmas and got more than I paid for it ( the skis were in as new condition)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've bought cheap skis from US ebay before, they were new (albeit the model was a couple of seasons old), but I was very happy with the price.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Buy on ebay before you go - even with the price of ski carriage was still quids in this year going to Switzerland and still have the skis and boots to sell. Saves faffing around in the hire shop as well.

Make sure you know exactly what size you want before bidding.

Btw - if you are going to Switzerland next year - then take all your food with you..... Just paid £156 for meal for 2 adults and two children.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought my boots on eBay, some beat up old Nordicas pretty cheap too. They are excellent and very comfy for the first few hours, and any brand new boots that I've tried come close. I have been very lucky with Boots.

Skis on the other hand were dire. They were very very cheap, but they were also old and heavy and didn't help me improve at all. Once my other half boght me a pair of modern skis, I improved no end.

I'd suggest steering clear of the 'Old style' bargains in terms of skis and perhaps make sure you get something a bit modern. As for boots, I'm not sure everyone gets to be lucky in both width and length of 'pre-owned' boots. Good luck.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jzBun wrote:
Monium, He's based in Coventry. I don't know of any shops near that sell 2nd hand stuff.

Not too far from Coventry he could try Lockwoods in Leamington - they often have 2nd hand kids boots. And when I was in there recently they had lots of last/past season gear at vastly reduced prices too.

Or he's not too far away from the Midland Ski Club - there will probably be a 2nd gear sale in Birmingham sometime in October where there are always boots and skis (and other stuff) on offer.
snow conditions
Deleted post
snow conditions
Quote:

I've bought cheap skis from US ebay before
I've wondered about this (and other US ebay stuff) - don't you get hammered by good old Customs and Excise for import duty/tax Puzzled
latest report
This time of year you can get some really good bargains on new skis. None of the risk of ebay at all.
latest report
having pm'd the OP, he only wants to spend 40 quid on skis, so that limits the choice somewhat am afraid.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

I've bought cheap skis from US ebay before
I've wondered about this (and other US ebay stuff) - don't you get hammered by good old Customs and Excise for import duty/tax Puzzled

Had to pay obviously, but it wasn't that much (definitely not hammered) - was still the cheapest way to get the skis I wanted.
latest report
Actually, even when I've bought brand new (non-ebayed) skis from the US, it wasn't that bad.
snow report
smithaldo, Just a point of etiquette. If you communicate with someone via PM, the information should remain private between the people involved. I've got no problem with everyone knowing that my BIL only wants to spend £40 - £50 on a pair of 2nd hand skis but that's pretty much implied in the OP.

I just wonder why you felt the need to keep your offer private. If you are happy to sell your old gear to my brother-in-law then surely it would be better to post the items here.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy