Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Me and my shadow, strolling down......

Poster: A snowHead
After successfully completing the L1 course in Hemel, I thought great, that’s the hard bit over and now I can relax and enjoy the 35 hrs shadowing. Huh! How wrong I was. It was like doing the BASI course over and over again. Having recently completed the minimum 35hrs shadowing I feel I need a further 35hrs if only to perfect the numerous drills and exercises, which had not been included in the BASI programme, required in teaching the learner to parallel. Of course it is entirely up to me whether I want to continue shadowing indefinitely, that is, and until I feel I’m ready to teach. But I think not. Instead I will shadow myself. At long last I will be free of the shackles of the dreaded auburn jacket. I can practice the drills and exercises at will and without pressure until all the drills are perfected. I can look like a prat or wipe-out big time without feeling I’ve let the entire ski school down. All you level 1’ers. What are your views on shadowing? Do you think 35hrs minimum is sufficient or do you feel it should be increased? Did you enjoy your shadowing or like me did you find it quite draining? And any of you qualified instructors. How do you feel about being shadowed?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr No wrote:
And any of you qualified instructors. How do you feel about being shadowed?
I'm happy to be shadowed, it's an important part of the job. I still shadow when possible, normally Trainers running courses or higher end clinics.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr No, The shadowing is the most educational bit of the system especially the exposure to lots of different styles of teaching. You start to see just what works and what does not. You also get to see how differing styles of teaching work with differing learner types. I enjoyed my first 35hrs and would have been happy to do more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr No, If you have your qualification then don't be afraid of teaching. You have to start somewhere and it's only by 'doing' that you will start to develop your skills. If you are unsure, then maybe you could ask more senior Instructor to shadow you and they can give you feedback.

Interesting comment about drills. If they are so hard, how are your less skilled clients going to manage wink

rob@rar, me too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Dr No, If you have your qualification then don't be afraid of teaching. You have to start somewhere and it's only by 'doing' that you will start to develop your skills. If you are unsure, then maybe you could ask more senior Instructor to shadow you and they can give you feedback.

Interesting comment about drills. If they are so hard, how are your less skilled clients going to manage wink

rob@rar, me too.

You hit it on the nail, mate. I guess I lack the confidence to teach at the moment. Maybe I'll take on board your tip and shadow a senior instructor.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dr No, I think the tip was to get a senior instructor to shadow you and then give you feedback afterwards. Probably more useful than regular shadowing.

I'd echo AndAnotherThing..'s advice to just get stuck in as you have to start somewhere. I was very anxious the first time I taught (a group of 10 teenage girls, all beginners, who I had for the week) but it wasn't as bad as I feared it would be, and by the end of the week we'd all had an enjoyable time. Just go for it...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr No,

Yep get stuck in! Shadow mixed aged kiddies groups, with so much going on by the end of the lesson you will have either:

1) Given up on the whole idea of teaching.

Or... and most likely:

2) Found yourself largely helping the instructor with the lesson by reinforcing and helping those kids that are either not listening or not grasping concepts being taught as quickly, Its a good way to build teaching confidence in a casual manner, the more you do it and if the instructor is willing the more you can contribute to each lesson.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't tell you how unappealing - indeed downright frightening! - this all sounds to me. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, Your definitely not alone, but well worth it!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr No, know how you feel, I was so nervous before my first week teaching, more so than I have ever been before any exam or interview!

rob@rar, gives good advice, just get going as you will learn a huge amount by doing, and learn what does or doesn't work along the way. And remember what you have been taught - SEL. You wouldn't have passed if you weren't competent in safety and someway along the way towards enjoyment and learning. I bet the "learning" is the part you're most worried about right?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, are you thinking about becoming an instructor then?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr No, I would echo the comments above re Just get stuck in to some teaching. You have passed the L1 course and have logged the shadowing hours therefore been deemed capable of taking charge of low level skiers in a fairly closed environment - shadowing is great - you pick up lots of great stuff doing this, but (to paraphrase a slightly risqué quote of Andy Kirkpatrick's) "watching is OK for a while, but there's nothing like doing it yourself..."

Get in about it, you will make mistakes, and you will look back on sessions and realise what you could have done differently - this is all part of the learning process...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
Pedantica, are you thinking about becoming an instructor then?
NO!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get in there and do it. If you do make a mistake, provided there's no injury, no-one will know because they are all beginners and don't know any different.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
get as many teaching hours as you can.. learn by doing and keep your eyes on ever other instructor on the hill and what they do, ask lots of questions as to why they do what they do, get to know the people who seem to be delivering fun interesting lessons. Ask your clients if they had fun, what they liked and didn't like.. develop an understanding of what drills work for what you are trying to instill in the clients or what flaw you are trying to correct. You will make mistakes , not all lessons will be brilliant as beanie1 says SEL... dont get too hung up on your demos to early stage skiers, they wont know if they are 80% or 99% correct if you explain things clearly and give them a rough idea of how it should look that will be fine.. MCA !!! Work on drills that test your own skills outside of lessons and not just trot out the ones you can do well or find easy during lessons and hopefully you will end up with a larger and larger toolbox of drills as you go along and you will get a feeling for when and why you should use them. Stay flexible and experiment... Use your time at the dome to improve your own personal performance...I always tried to spend at least a half hour before each shift and work on drills that i knew would be asked of me on my next set of exams and then up the difficulty when they get easy...
ski holidays
I must admit, soon after posting I had deep regrets. Not knowing what I let myself in for. But after reading each and everyone's post, I'm glad I did. I have to say that I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the support, advice and encouragement you have all given me. It has been invaluable in that it has helped me to look at things in a clearer and positive frame of mind.
Many thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
Dr No, if you intend shadowing at Hemel, I'm there most Tuesday & Wednesday nights, you're more than welcome.
snow conditions
Dr No, you're welcome.
snow conditions
id totally agree 100% with what skimottaret had to say. When I first started teaching there was no such thing as 'shadowing' and believe you me you will learn from doing, making mistakes and getting the satisfaction, no matter how small, of being able to say to yourself 'I did that' as your little ones follow you down the slope from side to side!

Fellow instructors will respect you as long as you keep it S.E.L and the L part comes only after the S and E part and the L part needs not be stated - most people will learn if you follow MCA!

Good luck.
snow report
id totally agree 100% with what skimottaret had to say. When I first started teaching there was no such thing as 'shadowing' and believe you me you will learn from doing, making mistakes and getting the satisfaction, no matter how small, of being able to say to yourself 'I did that' as your little ones follow you down the slope from side to side!

Fellow instructors will respect you as long as you keep it S.E.L and the L part comes only after the S and E part and the L part needs not be stated - most people will learn if you follow MCA!

Good luck.
snow report
Our perception of ourselves is always much different to how other see us - if you are teaching beginners you are the "expert" and know so much more than they do, so just pretend that you're confident and it will be ok (that's what I do!).
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Dr No, if you intend shadowing at Hemel, I'm there most Tuesday & Wednesday nights, you're more than welcome.

Spyderman, does your generous offer still stand? I make take you up on that. What levels do you teach and what time in the evenings are we talking about? It's possible that I've shadowed you anyway..
latest report
Dr No, Tuesday & Wednesday from 19:00 till close. I teach all levels up to and including Instructor Development Group. You're welcome anytime, ping me a PM when you want and I'll let you know if I'm going to be there. This Tuesday night coming I've got Ladies level 1 if you're interested.
latest report
35+ hours! Thanks to all the instructors who put up with me Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
anarchicsaltire, well done snowHead ..... did you get another 'power hug?'
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy