Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airline Baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,
I've got a couple of queries that I'm hoping you helpful bunch will assist me with Very Happy

We're flying Easyjet to Austria in December, and are in a bit of a quandry with how to sort our luggage out.

We're both hoping to take kit, and our normal luggage.

Now - firstly - are we likely to be able to get a Snowboard (sorry, don't know length but my boyfriend is 5'10" medium build) and a pair of skis (150cm), and probably ski and snowboard boots into one of those big roller bag things without: a) killing the 32kg limit, and b) upsetting Easyjet (cos I don't know whether they would insist that the skis/board be seperated)?

We could take 2 lots of sports equipment and take 2 roller bags (with all our luggage in too) but that would cost £200!

We're hoping to take 1 sports bag, and one normal bag, making the total £122 (plus we'd only need to buy one roller bag).

Secondly - can anyone recommend a decent bag (such as SnoKart THE KART but possibly cheaper!) that would be able to handle the above-mentioned kit, and probably some additional luggage? If we only need to take one bag then I'd stretch to £170, but I don't think we'd want to be forking out for two of them. Any advice on any of the above would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for all responses.

Emm.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Emmeline, as far as easyjet stuff is concerned have you read the easyjet sticky? Personally I don't like the idea of all-in-one luggage - they always look incredibly awkward to me. But others do like them, and will no doubt comment here.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Emmeline, The SnowKart looks good but if I remember right it's quite heavy, there are a lot of roller bags which are lighter.

If you are taking a sports bag it can be up to 32kg total you just pay for the sports bag (50?) if its on it's own. Look at achilles link and search the threads for more info
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, thanks very much - it appears that I totally misunderstood the baggage policy Blush. The sticky was still confusing, but I managed to establish that the £25 I'd be paying (each way) was only for the additional 12kg. I had originally thought (I know - silly!) that by paying £25 I'd be able to take 32kg in one bag - hence why I was looking at one of the awkward all-in-ones. Then I was going to take a standard piece of hold luggage for £22.

BUT - now I understand that I only get 12kg for my £25, and that I would need to pay the £22 for 20kg of hold luggage on top to get my 32kg Shock

SO - what I think we'll do is:
Buy 2 lots of hold luggage @£22 = £44, = 40kg
Buy 1 lot of sports luggage each way @£25 = £50, = 12kg
MEANING - we'd then have a total of 52kg to split between 2 suitcases and a ski/snowboard bag (total luggage cost £94).

THEREFORE - we still need a bag to put the snowboard, skis and poles in (and possibly boots but we may just stick them in our cases).

As we're not going to put our luggage in the kit bag now (sounds like it's frowned on by Easyjet) we probably won't really need a big bag, just something that will hold and protect our kit and is going to be generally lightweight. I hadn't thought about how much the bag might weigh anarchicsaltire, but that's a very good point! I've also rung Easyjet to make doubly sure that we can put both the skis and the snowboard in the same bag, as you suggested - because the sticky thread didn't make totally clear). They said 'yep' Very Happy So..... anyone got any advice on a bag? Toofy Grin

Cheers again,
Emm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Use easyjet (Luton, Gatwik and Stansted) all the time, family of 5 we use two padded snowboard bags. This holds all our skis, poles, blades and snowboads plus anything else placed in it. Easyjet treat each booking as an individual booking. So in the total party 1 persons booking equals 1 bag in hold (20kg) and 1 piece of sports equipment (12kg) total weight equals 32kg. Big BUT this weight can be split as you like it! We protect equipment with jackets etc. Only piont to note is max weight of 1 peice of luggage if to heavy will incur additional fee. As for hand luggage as long as within advised sizes can be any weight, have taken boots this way!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Emmeline wrote:
achilles, thanks very much - it appears that I totally misunderstood the baggage policy Blush. The sticky was still confusing, but I managed to establish that the £25 I'd be paying (each way) was only for the additional 12kg. I had originally thought (I know - silly!) that by paying £25 I'd be able to take 32kg in one bag - hence why I was looking at one of the awkward all-in-ones. Then I was going to take a standard piece of hold luggage for £22.

BUT - now I understand that I only get 12kg for my £25, and that I would need to pay the £22 for 20kg of hold luggage on top to get my 32kg Shock

No, your initial interpretation was correct. The EJ page that sticky links to and the responses from EJ quoted all say that having paid just the £25 each way for sporting equipment you get one bag that may weigh up to 32kg, and that should contain sporting equipment - of unspecified nature, so may be snowboard/skis/both/several pairs. The only ambiguity is if it should contain only sporting equipment. But clearly any snowboard/skier boots/hats/gloves/sunnies/helmets/baggy pants are clearly also sporting equipment, n'est-ce pas?

Ah - possible confusion that there are two of you. If one bought just hold baggage and one bought just sporting equipment, it should be that you get 52kg: 20 kg for (one pax+bag) and 32kg for (other pax+sportsbag). That picture for 2xpax + bag + 2xskis implies otherwise, but looks wrong and is at variance with previous snowHead experiences. The simple solution is for each of you to book independently, and so you each have your own allowance - although you couldn't then pool between the two of you if you needed >20kg in your non-sports bag. That's not an option though if you've already made the flight booking.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Emmeline, what GrahamN says, he beat me too it.

The advice to book separately to ensure the full allowance is correct, having said that, Mounta1nGoat and I have traveled on the same bookings with only two 32kg sports bags between us and had no problems.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh flipperty jib - I'm totally confused now!!! Looks like I've misunderstood again, cos there's definitely comments on the sticky thread that say the £25 is just for 12kg (people were even saying about how much of a bargain that is!), and Skeg289's post seems to support that- i.e. one piece of hold luggage (20kg), one sportsbag (12kg). I'm sure Easyjet say that the sports luggage has to be in one bag- hence my later assumption that the 20kg hold bag would incur a £22 charge on top of the £25.

GrahamN, anarchicsaltire, I welcome your advice, and I've definitely travelled with anarchicsaltire, and he's only had the one sportsbag (no hold luggage) so I'd be inclined to trust him, but am in a total quandry if I'm honest. AND if I do the suggested (my partner books in a 32kg sports bag = £50 both ways, and I book in a 20kg hold bag = £22 both ways) then it works out cheaper than my second plan, BUT I've still now got to get a lightweight wheelie bag for the sports kit.

Ugh! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Emmeline, It sounds weird but buying a single ticket with easyjet gives you a 20kg luggage weight allowance but not the right to have a bag to carry it in and put on the plane. If you pay for hold luggage you then get the right to put your bag on the plane. If you pay for sports luggage you get an extra 12kg weight allowance and the right to put the bag on the plane, since you already have a 20kg allowance with your ticket you can put that in the bag as well, so you don't need to pay for any other bag. Simples Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
anarchicsaltire, ah - I get it now, thanks Very Happy We booked our tickets ages ago (together) so does that mean we only get 20kg between us (rats if so!). If not then I guess back to the original plan (1 32kg sports bag plus 1 20kg suitcase), and the original query - where can I get a decent sports wheelie bag to put kit (inc clothes) in? Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Emmeline wrote:
anarchicsaltire, ah - I get it now, thanks Very Happy We booked our tickets ages ago (together) so does that mean we only get 20kg between us (rats if so!). If not then I guess back to the original plan (1 32kg sports bag plus 1 20kg suitcase), and the original query - where can I get a decent sports wheelie bag to put kit (inc clothes) in? Smile

It depends on whether you've already booked bags or not. You get 20kg each but the sports allowance is a bit more open to interpretation. However as I stated above We have travelled a couple of times with two 32kg bags with no queries whatsoever.

Roller duffles seem to be the lightest type, they don't have base support which saves weight and use the board or skis themselves to maintain bag shape and support.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anarchicsaltire, great stuff, cheers. We haven't booked any bags as yet so we'll do the 1 sportsbag and 1 hold bag option, and buy a roller duffle!

Thanks everyone for everything. Roll on December Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Emmeline,

if this helps I have been sent this by the EJ customer services team:

Quote:

Dear nick0861,

Thank you for contacting easyJet.

If you book ski (only no hold baggage) as sports equipment (SEC), you will be allowed to carry up to 32 kgs of weight which will be dedicated to sports equipment and you will not be allowed to carry any hold baggage.

In case you book one SEC (ski) and one hold baggage, you will be allowed to carry 32 kgs in total that can be distributed among one piece of SEC and hold bag. If passengers are travelling with skis, ski boots and poles they will pay the standard sports equipment fees. Skis and boots can be packed in two different bags and will still be considered as one item and charged as one item as a "package deal".

A manual handling fee of GBP 30.00 per flight (or GBP 25.00 per flight if pre-booked online or via our Customer Contact Centre) is charged Skis at the airport. It allows you to carry 12 kilos.

Ski can be added to your booking (via contact centre or online) can be made up to two hours prior to the flight's Scheduled Departure Time or up to one hour prior to Scheduled Departure Time at the airport sales desk.

If your hold baggage and sports equipment combined weigh more than 32 kilos, then you will be charged excess baggage fees of GBP 10.00 per additional kilo.

You can find more information on our policy related to baggage under our Carrier's Regulations, for which I have included a link:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage

I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully. To update your query, please reply to this email and I will be happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely

Roma
Customer Service Representative
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Whatever made you think it would ?

And in English this means ....... Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tiger2 wrote:
Quote:

Whatever made you think it would ?

And in English this means ....... Puzzled

*sighs*

dont know why I bother with this site sometimes
snow conditions
Emmeline And don't forget that you can take unlimited hand luggage as long as:
1. It fits within the easyjet dimensions (of 56x40x25-ish Puzzled centimetres)
2. You can lift it into the overhead locker.

So, for a week's skiing, we travel in our ski jackets and otherwise travel light in terms of changes of clothes - we take ski boots, spare clothes and a full set of ski clobber (trousers, tops, hats, socks, gloves, sunglasses and goggles) as hand luggage. We then check in only a (double) ski bag - no checked in luggage - and put a few bits and pieces in that.
snow report
nick0861, cheers for the response - I think that supports what's been said, though sometimes things get a bit lost in translation with the Easyjetters.
I can't speak any other languages though so I'm not going to diss Wink

mountainaddict, yep - loving the no weight limit on the hand luggage, but how do you get away with taking ski boots in your hand luggage on the outbound? I thought that was a big 'no-no' for Easyjet (and Brit airports in general)? Mind you, having said that - I didn't realise there was a limit on the amount of cosmetics you could take (I know each item has a limit, but not that the combined total has to be 10 items or something) and ended up taking a shedload in my hand luggage to Geneva. The woman 'watching' the screen as the bags were going through was too busy munching on peanuts to notice Very Happy
snow conditions
Emmeline, where did you get teh idea there was a limit on cosmetic items? there is a maximum hand luggage limit of a 1 litre bag holding items which are no more than 100ml each therefore 10 x 100ml would be 1 litre, but if your items are smaller than 100ml then there is no limit other than the 1 litre total.
ski holidays
achilles,
Quote:

Personally I don't like the idea of all-in-one luggage - they always look incredibly awkward to me.
I like this solution and my rather natty board bag, which carries all the kit, is easy to wheel along. I have only done one trip like this so far and, unfortunately, encountered a snag. When I travel with a suitcase, I tuck my helmet into a bed of soft clothing and it is quite safe. I couldn't achieve as deep a bed in the board bag, with the result that the helmet was damaged in transit, and I had to spend as much and more on a new helmet as I had saved on baggage charges. V annoying. I'm going to try tying my helmet to my hand luggage next time: I've seen lots of other people doing this and they don't seem to encounter any problems at the airport.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
2. You can lift it into the overhead locker. ........

I thought the hand luggage also had a 8kg weight limit as well as a size limit on EJ. I know it does on Swiss Airlines.
latest report
FraserP wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
2. You can lift it into the overhead locker. ........

I thought the hand luggage also had a 8kg weight limit as well as a size limit on EJ. I know it does on Swiss Airlines.

nope no hand luggage weight limit on EJ
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
achilles,
Quote:

Personally I don't like the idea of all-in-one luggage - they always look incredibly awkward to me.
I like this solution and my rather natty board bag, which carries all the kit, is easy to wheel along. I have only done one trip like this so far and, unfortunately, encountered a snag. When I travel with a suitcase, I tuck my helmet into a bed of soft clothing and it is quite safe. I couldn't achieve as deep a bed in the board bag, with the result that the helmet was damaged in transit, and I had to spend as much and more on a new helmet as I had saved on baggage charges. V annoying. I'm going to try tying my helmet to my hand luggage next time: I've seen lots of other people doing this and they don't seem to encounter any problems at the airport.

I've always travelled with my helmet clipped on to my hand luggagae and never had a problem.

End of this Winter just gone I flew back with Easyjet from Zurich with only my board bag and got told at check in that my bag could only contain boarding equipment, which was the first I'd heard of it. The check in lady did let me keep everything in the bag but said that others wouldn't be so kind. Never seen any mention of it on the EJ website tho so could just be the check in agent at ZHR not knowing.
snow report
Hi,

Just throwing a thought out there, but if you haven't already booked baggage it might be worth looking at an alternative option?

We recommend a company called Piste of Mind to our guests who do Uk-France luggage deliveries. Prices depend on group size/number of bags/where you live etc but usually work out comparable with the airline costs and don't have a weight limit.

The only thing that's a bit of a pain is that you have to pack a couple of days before you go so that they can pick-up, but it means that you don't have to carry all your stuff through the airport.

Don't know if it helps any but might be worth checking it out??
snow report
holidayloverxx, my friend said it was the case when we flew to Geneva later on, in March, and it seemed to be supported by some dodgy picture on a board with no wording to explain it. To be fair I reckon my bits and bobs probably did total over 1 litre when we flew out in December! Oops!
Thanks for the info though, I will take that into account when packing my hand luggage this time (hoping we don't have to take shampoo etc, cos pretty sure the hotel will supply all that - woohoo!). I did go a bit mad with the potions and lotions in December to be fair - I'm learning how to travel light now!

Pedantica, yeah, the helmet was a worry but I think we'll either pack that in the non-sportsbag, or in the hand suitcase (or tied to it).
Or maybe I'll wear it, just to see what they say Toofy Grin Anyway, so - maybe you can help me further - whats the natty board bag of which you speak?

Sitter, I read about that on the Easyjet sticky, and was a bit worried myself. End of the day though it IS sporting equipment (as you're unlikely to wear ski pants when you're not doing your sport), and if they haven't got it in writing that it doesn't count then they can feck off (pardon my Irish).

Snow and Sunshine, thanks for the tip. We're going to Austria so it wouldn't work out for us. Looks like a good deal though, will bear in mind for future France trips. Only thing it doesn't say (at first glance) is how you get your stuff back. Presumably you'd need to be in to collect it...
ski holidays
Emmeline, this (or something very like it):
http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/TwoSeasons/_65419/386106/Low%20Roller%20%28165Cm%29
Got it at less than half that price, I was lucky.
snow conditions
Pedantica, coolio - cheers! I'll have a proper look over the weekend - am sure I'll be able to get a bargain. Now.... to buy some new skis at the weekend or not.... decisions Toofy Grin
snow report
Emmeline wrote:

Sitter, I read about that on the Easyjet sticky, and was a bit worried myself. End of the day though it IS sporting equipment (as you're unlikely to wear ski pants when you're not doing your sport), and if they haven't got it in writing that it doesn't count then they can feck off (pardon my Irish).

I'd have kicked up a fuss had they not let my board bag on, but like I said in the post above, looking back I think it was a case of the agent at check in not knowing. I was asked to show the contents of my bag and thankfully all that could be seen upon opening my bag was my salopettes, hoody and boots (my chef's whites, knives, iPod dock and hairdryer were tucked away at the bottom!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy