Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Honeymoon Ski Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I asked a couple of questions in another thread about the Vallee Blanche and was inundated with helpful responses so I thought I might try my luck again.

Basically I am looking for any opinions on the best resort for a honeymoon. Some info to help you guys with suggestions:

1) We are both fit, competent skiers so interesting (but not extreme) terrain is important.
2) We both love good food and wine so restaurants are also important.
3) We are unlikely to go out partying late at night, preferring a nice dinner and just a couple of drinks.
4) The Australian Dollar doesn't stack up so well against the Euro so somewhere that has the option for us to do nice things when we feel flush but also the option to get a cheap meal if we have to would be good.
5) We have flights booked into Geneva (frequent flyers, long story) and would prefer simple transfers. Flights can be changed if necessary though.

I hope that leaves some options! I am currently leaning towards a week in Val d'Isere, a week in Courmayeur and a few days in Chamonix to ski the Vallee Blanche.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/comments/recommendations. Any recommendations of particular hotels or restaurants would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lazo, For the best ski terrain in the world you can't get better than the Haute Tarentaise, more than 1,600 kms of pistes and three of the biggest and best ski resorts in France within 40 minutes travel of each other; Val d'Isere, Tignes and Les Arcs. There are also some lesser known resorts such as Sainte Foy and La Rosiere. I'm biased because we have a chalet in La Rosiere, which is linked to La Thuile in Italy but we have some of the best skiing in the Alps right on our doorstep including heli-skiing. If you're looking for a super little village with some great restuarants, the abilirty to ski in any one of the best resorts in France within 40 minutes and not break the bank, then La Rosiere has to be worth a look. The transfer from Geneva is usually less than 3 hours, and we give fellow snowheads a discount, have a look at our ad in snowShops for more details.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 4-08-05 10:07; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lazo, I think you've got it absolutely right - it's a great plan. Don't over-complicate the trip.

Your transfer from Val d'Isere to Courmayeur will take quite a few hours. If you're thinking of adding a third (fourth?) destination to add to Val, Courmayeur (and Chamonix?) I'd definitely not bother. Val d'Isere / Tignes is about the best piste skiing in the world. Chamonix - with Argentiere - is about the best off-piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lazo, I would recommend Kitzbuhel, Austria, with one large 'but'. It's pretty, some good and very good restaurants and hotels (if you like Austrian grub - not for veggies) and Austria is not an expensive country. But ... it is not the most exciting skiing in the world. There's a reasonable amount of it, and it too is very attractive scenically. There's some off piste, limited but I understand good and underused. There are other resorts within easy distance, although I am not aware that any of them offer especially challenging skiing. The skiing has nothing like the extent or variety or challenge of Vd'I/Tignes or 3V, but it has a lot of charm, and I think that Kitz would make an excellent honeymoon spot. Maybe a week there to indulge yourselves and then a week somewhere with more demanding skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
your plan sounds fine, I've been to Chamonix twice with my wife, there are good restaurants and bars there. I'm sure you love all 3 places. If the weather closes in at Chamonix don't overlook Les Houches ski area just down the valley, buses run there from Cham town centre. It's in the trees, so helps in bad weather.

http://www.leshouches.com/

If you want to do some off piste skiing in/around Val D'Isere I recommend hooking up with these guys, they will take you to some interesting and not extreme places away from the madding crowds!

http://www.alpineexperience.com

A good source of info on restaurants, bars etc is here:

http://www.natives.co.uk/resorts/default.htm

What dates are you arriving, as you may be in/outside school holiday dates which will affect how full the hotels are!

For info on hotels in Chamonix, this site is good:

http://www.chamonix.net/english/home.htm

You mentioned Le Hameau Albert 1er previously, I also stayed at the Best Western, which was ok, not huge rooms, but it had a sauna and swimming pool, which the missus wanted!

The Val D'Isere website has info on all their hotels:

http://www.valdisere.com/

I've stayed at HOTEL BRUSSEL'S for opening weekend, it was a nice hotel, decent rooms, log fire and on the pistes!

regards,

Greg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lazo,

Val d'Isere is a great resort with superb skiing, it also has decent restaurants at a reasonable price. There are a couple of things to be aware of if planning your honeymoon there.

It is not in my opinion a resort of any great romantic appeal the village is not that attractive and the clientele often tend to the boisterous if reasonably well heeled end of the market.

I cannot comment on hotels in Val d'Isere as I have usually self catered or been to a chalet but in general I have found that the French hotels are less well appointed than hotels at a similair price in other alpine countries.

If planning a honeymoon and flying to Geneva one place I would consider is Zermatt. It is easily accessible by train from Geneva the scenery is superb, the town attractive, the piste skiing is the equal of Val's IMHO, though the offpiste is probably better in Val.

Personally I have never found Zermatt to be more expensive than the more expensive French resorts such as Val though it is possible this has changed as I have not been there for a number of years.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
T Bar wrote:

If planning a honeymoon and flying to Geneva one place I would consider is Zermatt. It is easily accessible by train from Geneva the scenery is superb, the town attractive, the piste skiing is the equal of Val's IMHO, though the offpiste is probably better in Val.

Personally I have never found Zermatt to be more expensive than the more expensive French resorts such as Val though it is possible this has changed as I have not been there for a number of years.

Second that. Zermatt is wonderful, I went there for the first time last year and wrote a report here.

Definitely a better option on the romance front than Val !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now Lazo, if you're going to do Zermatt, Courmayeur and Chamonix....how about ski-touring from one to the other? The most spectacular week I've spent in the mountains ( yet Wink ) ... see some piccies here (you may need to log in to that site to see them, use the same login you use for here). Zer->Cham (via Cour) is actually the reverse of the usual direction, but it does get you finishing down the Vallee Blanche!

BTW - this is NOT Wink a serious suggestion for a honeymoon trip Shocked .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lazo, I've skied two of the candidates listed above, specifically Val D'Isere and Zermatt, and can recommend both of them. Skiing is comparable as both are at high altitude. I've always opted for staying at better than average hotels, as it was a way of guaranteeing the quality of the dinners with half board service. As for hotels, the two places I'd recommend in Val are the Christiania and the Latitudes, in that order. Half board at the Chistiania was truly exceptional, and after staying there for a week, we had a good chance to meet some of the other guests, and all had a good time. In Zermatt we stayed at the Zermatterhof, which was certainly cheaper than it is now, but was still expensive. I would have also stayed at the Monte Rosa across the street. We walked in there one day to look around and it was very nice, and I hear it was Churchill's favorite. The Sonne is a Ski Club favorite, and was nice but featured an uphill walk at the end of the day. For a truly isolated and romantic getaway, consider staying on the hill at Gornergrat. We also decided that from an economic point of view, half board was the way to go. Eating out can have uneven quality and is usually more expensive in the long run. The Alex seemed like a truly lively and eclectic hotel, but we figured it would be most likely pretty noisy at night, as it also featured a popular night club below. Lastly, while we never went into the Perren, we thought its location was ideal and I'm sure it would be a fine hotel. Good luck, John from Los Angeles, California.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lazo, Courmayeur is a beautiful place and perfect for a honeymoon - but if you are both competent skiers then I would think a week is too much and after Chamonix and Val you would be VERY bored Neutral . Why not consider reversing that to do a few days in Courmayeur and a week in Chamonix? The Valee Blanche access is easier from Courmayeur. Enjoy - wish we could have had a skiing honeymoon.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If moving around isn't too much hassle, then a few days in Champoluc might be quite fun. THe local skiing isn't necessarily awesome, but it's fun enough. However you link into Alagna which can be very entertaining and the whole Monte Rosa area offers splendid touring opportunities if that's of interest.

But, the main point is the honeymoon word. I haven't (yet) stayed there but check out the Hotellerie de Mascognaz. http://www.breithornhotel.com/ You need to click the Mascognaz link. It's basically set above the main village, accessible only by 4x4 or skidoo (the staff will transport you) and absolutely stunning. I hear there's going to be an independent suite beside the hotel for next winter. Very romantic I am led to understand.

A UK tour operator says this of it

This is the small luxury sister hotel to the Breithorn, situated high above Champoluc. Certainly not for those who want to be close to the lift or any nightlife, the Mascognaz is only accessible by skidoo or four wheel drive vehicle up a steep and bumpy track.

The property is quite superb and although it doesn't have an official star rating, it is easily 5 star quality. Converted from an old farm building with the utmost care and attention to detail and surrounded only by uninhabited buildings, the peace and tranquilty of its isolated position will appeal to anyone looking to 'escape' for a week. It has to be seen to be fully appreciated and all those clients we have taken up to view the property have been in awe at its style and location.
http://www.ski-2.com/chalet-mascognaz-champoluc.htm It's owned by the Hotel Breithorn, arguably one of the best recent additions to hip skiing hotels in recent years.

Best of all, Champoluc is about 45 minutes down the Aosta valley from Courmayeur.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zabalia, welcome to snowHead though this section not ideal for warm, sunny hols. But as you are marrying a financee you'll be fine wherever you go wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zabalia, Welcome to snowHead s. My daughter recently went to Thailand for her first holiday with her boyfriend. She said it was idyllic and can't wait to go back there. She also said things are very cheap!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lazo, I would definitely second or third Zermatt for a honeymoon. The Swiss franc is very stable IIUC at the moment, and Switzerland is not particularly more expensive than most of Europe these days. The town is beautiful - the skiing immense and you can, of course ski over into Italy and back. You can ski on the glacier facing the north face of the Matterhorn .... gets my vote. Val D has some great skiing but altogether far too many hooray henry's for my liking and seems overpriced from our standpoint.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, this thread was well and truly (2005!) bumped by zabalia who is looking for a beachy hol, in the wrong place though wink
snow conditions
Wonder if the OP had a good honeymoon? Very Happy
ski holidays
what sort of $ are you talking in and where are you based? I think that will make a difference to suggested destinations.
snow conditions
Wonder if the OP is still married Laughing
latest report
Lou, arv, Aah - hope it went well then! Why beach when you can have sun and mountains?
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
Lou, arv, Aah - hope it went well then! Why beach when you can have sun and mountains?

Well, yes... Very Happy
ski holidays
another year gone... i wonder if there's still romance in the air!!!!! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy