Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France motorway Tolls cost

Poster: A snowHead
Calais to Albertville and back August 2011

Quote:
Place Kilometers Cost
A26 REIMS (COURCY) A26 CALAIS 267.2 20.8
A26 LIMITE SANEF/APRR A26 REIMS NORD (ORMES) 112.3 10.1
A6 VILLEFRANCHE-LIMAS A26 LIMITE APRR / SANEF 381 28.9
A432 LA BOISSE 24 2.1
A43 CHAMBERY NORD A43 ST QUENTIN FAL. BARR 67 10.5
A430 STE HELENE BARRIERE A43 CHIGNIN BARRIERE 41 5

A43 CHIGNIN BARRIERE A430 STE HELENE BARRIERE 36 5
A43 ST QUENTIN FAL. BARR A43 CHAMBERY NORD 67 10.5
A432 LA BOISSE 24 2.1
A26 REIMS NORD (ORMES) A26 LIMITE SANEF/APRR 112.3 10.1
A26 LIMITE APRR / SANEF A6 VILLEFRANCHE-LIMAS 381 28.9
A26 CALAIS A26 REIMS (COURCY) 267.2 20.8

Total Cost on August 1st 2011 154.80 €

Maybe a passing mod could make the table above stay in line?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its not getting any cheaper is it, how much roughly do reckon the petrol/diesel spend was, and the approx MPG of the car in question.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
viamichelin.com does painfree toll calculations (and fuel cost calculations too, inevitably a bit by and large)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've started avoiding the autoroutes. Adds about an hour or two but you can see the savings.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just use the "poor man's telepeage"

http://youtube.com/v/wVZzpcZ1JMY

save a fortune, works at the Geneva airport car parks too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, But us here in the UK we are all law abiding those Savoyardes are thieves Laughing
adie, About 30mpg from a V6 Diesel around £250/300's worth, mostly on cruise control so just steering to do for 10/12 hours from UK to the Alps Very Happy
The new Reims bypass and A432 have knocked about 30 mins off the journey time.
pam w, match viamichelin to Google maps estimates with some very different results. Put in exactly the same route and they disagree over total mileage and therefore all the other stats! Those figures above are from my online Sanef invoice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow €154 in tolls, we have a pretty economic Picasso so think approx £175 deiesl. Plus food and poss overnighter €70 for hotel bb each way, and incidentals which you get with kids, around £450 - £500 not including crossing. Hmm train is looking better value, but sc so can take less stuff.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
About 30mpg from a V6 Diesel around £250/300's worth, mostly on cruise control .
That's grim. I get above 40mpg from my 3.0d beemer and with a tailwind can do door to door , Kent to Geneva, on a tank full at 80 on cruise.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't forget diesel can still be a lot cheaper in France. On a recent trip it was as low as 1.27€ (Supermarket but generally low 1.30's) and as high as 1.50€ (motorway but generally high 1.40's). I only fill up on motorways when absolutely necessary and often just enough to get me to my destination and a supermarket. I did 56.1 mpg over 2100 miles of mixed motoring in my Volvo C30 which I was quite pleased with.

Non-motorway driving can be very slow in France. It took me most of the day to drive from Ste Maxime to Les Deux Alpes a couple of weeks ago and it's only about 350 miles. It was extremely slow going albeit on a very busy motoring day, 30th July.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, I have always wondered how much difference it makes if you come off the péage (e.g. for an overnight stop, or shopping) then get back on again. Do you pay more than if you just stay on? Hard to imagine it would be exactly the same.

Some of the route maps come up with routes through Paris if you give them half a chance.

There are some sections of the journey to the Alps which just seem to take ages if you come off the motorway. I'd not bother north of Reims, that's for sure - we have done it all on the RN in the summer, but it did take ages and is not a particularly interesting part of the country. The best bit to miss, by far, is from Dole across to Geneva, over the Jura. Saves a fair bit on the toll and takes very little extra time - and probably saves fuel too. It's a pretty journey and easy to follow. Not advisable in very snowy weather, but otherwise a good alternative.

Crunchie13, overnighting, if you have kids, could well cost you more than 70 euros unless you stay in a Formule 1 (which is fine, provided people aren't going to get precious about not having their own bathroom. wink ).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok so perhaps fuel I have over estimated. But do all you guys drive it in one day, or go through the night?

We were planning to leave Essex on Friday eve, get to reims by midnight, then leaving 8am, get to les arc mid afternoon. Return leave sat pm, stop over somewhere, home Sunday. So 7 days skiing. You can't get into apartment until mid pm on sat, so otherwise how do you do it?

Also les arc car park is €75. Again train seems value for money
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, it is exactly the same as far as I can see, sometimes cheaper as the road back to the autoroute is not always the one you came off at, and you miss out a junction or two. I can't for some reason log into my account this morning to check though, even with a password reset to check it out.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crunchie13, we've done straight through (mostly) and overnight stops. It all depends.... but when are you going? If, by any chance, it's half term or New Year, you need to think hard about planning the journey to avoid the potentially horrendous traffic jams.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crunchie13 wrote:
Ok so perhaps fuel I have over estimated. But do all you guys drive it in one day, or go through the night?

We were planning to leave Essex on Friday eve, get to reims by midnight, then leaving 8am, get to les arc mid afternoon. Return leave sat pm, stop over somewhere, home Sunday. So 7 days skiing. You can't get into apartment until mid pm on sat, so otherwise how do you do it?

We drive it in one day. Leave home (SW London) about 6am and get the Eurotunnel just before 8am (after which prices go up to the next price bracket). Drive straight through with two or three stops for fuel and toilet, but tend to take a packed lunch for the car so don't have to waste time eating in a service station. We normally get to Bourg St Maurice at 6 to 6.30pm (which is about the same time as the Eurostar service from St Pancras) and pop in to the SuperU to load up with groceries before heading up the hill to Les Arcs.

We do the same for the return journey, although if you're looking to ski a full day when you leave it's easy to find a cheap hotel near the route home.

Is that €75 for parking in Arc 1950? Some apartments have their own parking so don't charge that extra fee.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, that sounds like our journey, too, though it takes us slightly longer to get to Eurotunnel. But we don't do it on a Saturday.....
snow report
pam w, if you look at boredsurfin figures, the longer sections are cheaper per kilometre. Also via michelin shows that multiple short sections are more expensive than non stopping.
snow report
pam w, 90 minutes for us to get to Eurotunnel and leaving at 6am means there's not much difference in traffic weekday or weekend even though a good part of the journey is on the M25.
snow conditions
I normally leave after school has finished on Friday so the best I can do, with M25/Dartford delays, is get to France and stay overnight near Calais. I drive Calais to Les Deux Alpes in one go on Saturday though.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, aarrgh but your peage costs could have been cheaper couldnt they:-

- First of all there is the 28% surcharge for the Brit use of telepeage auto-pass. You know its cheaper with a credit card.
- Secondly it is obvious that you have excess speed charges on at least 4 of those sectors
- Thirdly, if your average speed had been less than 90 km/h between the peages you would have qualified for the "EC Green" discount although only 5%, still worth qualifying for
- Have you applied for your UK RFL refund yet for time out of the country ... you know you cant be taxed twice
- but most importantly I see you have got the "Crap German car" surcharge. The French really are beginning to crack down on this.
ski holidays
We tend to follow Robs example as above except we only do one fuel stop at Chambery and a very quick loo stop if needed.
Agentere guilty on all counts!!
latest report
Agenterre wrote:
... your peage costs could have been cheaper couldnt they:-

- First of all there is the 28% surcharge for the Brit use of telepeage auto-pass. You know its cheaper with a credit card.
- Secondly it is obvious that you have excess speed charges on at least 4 of those sectors
- Thirdly, if your average speed had been less than 90 km/h between the peages you would have qualified for the "EC Green" discount although only 5%, still worth qualifying for
- Have you applied for your UK RFL refund yet for time out of the country ... you know you cant be taxed twice
- but most importantly I see you have got the "Crap German car" surcharge. The French really are beginning to crack down on this.

I didn't know about any of those things, except for the German car surcharge (I drive a Peugeot wink).
ski holidays
No all that is news to me - so the time you took is registered through the ticket the machine issues / reads - and discounts additional charges worked out heh.
snow conditions
Agenterre, You missed off the Public Holiday surcharge and the two months on one trip extra charge as well Laughing
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:

What about the helmet surcharge
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
Agenterre wrote:

What about the helmet surcharge

Nope .. a discount for helmets .. at least when they are on two wheels.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have always wondered how much difference it makes if you come off the péage (e.g. for an overnight stop, or shopping) then get back on again. Do you pay more than if you just stay on? Hard to imagine it would be exactly the same.

+1 what Hells Bells, says. We did a bit of on/off on trip to Burgundy this summer and the tolls were no different. It was pretty eyewatering for petrol on the autoroutes this August though at 1.63 euro or more in places for petrol. Cheapest we got was a supermarket at 1.48ish.
ski holidays
MarjMJ, makes me glad (when in France) that ours runs on diesel.
snow report
Agenterre, So is all this stuff true? How much extra do you pay for excess speed and is that based on speed over the 130 km/h?

I drive a Volvo, do the French have less against the Swedes than the Germans?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

based on speed over the 130 km/h?

not if it's raining, then it's 110 kph. wink
ski holidays
pam w, You always seem to drive in the rain Pam?
latest report
kosciosco, Yes .. they only work to 130 kph ...

Yes they have let the Swedes off on the basis they are ineffective and the wimmin good shags.
latest report
Fogliettaz, well it does rain sometimes in France in the winter, fortunately!
snow report
The bikes seemed to be cheap and there were no excess speed charges in France. Only went at 250 kph on a few occasions though NehNeh
latest report
Quote:

We usually drive overnight about leaving 19:00 from Birmingham and get to Les Arcs about 10:00 to 11:00 the next morning ready for a full days skiing. We use the ferry so we can have an evening meal and be much more flexible on return but it takes a couple hours longer than the tunnel. IIRC Essex in near Dover so you should be able to avoid the difficult part of the journey, which is invariably getting to Dover. Why cannot you get changed when you arrive and leave the luggage in the car while you ski for the day? Unless the mayor has introduced the proposed parking charges for the funicular station in Bourg this year you can drop your luggage off in the resort and park up for the week at the bottom and hence escape the parking charges. Personally I think the hassle of stopping, finding a hotel checking in etc for such a straightforward journey just too much and have never had a stopover for the 30 or so times I have done the trip.

The round trip by car costs about £400 The last time I checked it cost £100 each just to get to London by train and even then we would miss the night train to Bourg. For us it is probably cheeper to fly to Paris and pick the train up there. I used to love the old sleeper train from Calais.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy