Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
I'm booking a nice proper trip for March but the ski bug has bitten me and I don't think I can wait that long. Is there some place that one can go for a real cheap ski holiday. It doesn't have to be nice, just a couple of blue/red runs and I would be happy. Is there any place that has such things or are all ski holidays going to hit my pocket hard? My wife will kill me if I even think of spending more money this year NehNeh
Thanks
Alan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Alan,

Great to hear that you're loving the skiing!!!

There are definitely some great deals out there. If you can be flexible then your best bet is to wait until 2-3 weeks before you want to travel and bargain hard. The pre-Christmas slot is never fully booked and many companies this year have a short break in Jan (early weeks have been moved to take into account Christmas leaving a short break to get them right) which will be cheap.

The other option is to consider somewhere like Bulgaria where the cost of living is quite a lot cheaper. It's great news if you're a new skiier too as you can spend the money saved on some cheap private lessons and guiding Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have booked lastminute deals from 3 places in the past:

www.lastminute.com - ended up being with Inghams and in more recent years I haven't seen any holidays from Inghams on lastminute.
www.inghams.co.uk - Gone out for £199 per person to a 4* catered chalet when it was just me and hubby, those were the days. Can't recommend them enough.
www.crystal-ski.com - Well it was OK, but if I saw a similar deal with Inghams I would chose them over Crystal.

For the above 2 the late deals should start appearing towards the end of Nov. Normally week before Christmas is a cheap week (and we have done that a few times) but this year that falls inside the school holidays sot he prices jumped as soon as TO's realised that. The first whole week after new year is the other week I have seen brilliant deals for then and the week after.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with NickyJ, do a last minute booking, first full couple of weeks in jan are usually cheap. You can also watch the snow reports/forecast and pick your destination to suit, i usually book no more than a week before i go.......... happy hunting snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks.
Are there any trips that are shorter (like 4 days or so)?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You may find some, especially as where christmas and NY fall. Certainly Esprit are doing friday departures until after new year then switch to sunday departures, making 1 week 9 days long, other TOs could be doing a short break to achieve similar
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlanB1976 I agree with the advice above regarding last minute deals as long as you are very flexible. I've often got them from Bristol airport too! You usually get the best deals for chalets or chalet hotels that are owned by the TO and you will be on the TO charter flight at ridiculous o'clock in the morning - but what the heck - go with the flow and allow yourself to be herded about a bit.

The thing to remember is that the costs of lift passes and ski rental are not subject to the same discount and thus tend to push the price up if you get a deal to one of the usually more expensive places. That is why a catered option is best (especially if you get wine too).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you tried skiweekends.com? They offer a good range of 3-4 day breaks, travelling either by coach or plane. Some friends and I are off to Chamonix over new year, with decent flight times from Bournemouth Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weeklends don't come cheap. The high costs are in the flight and transfer not the room (which is usually booked for the whole season) or the food. taking up empty space on a TO flight and bus and using a room that they have already paid for is the best way to get the cheapest deal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all.
I will have a look into those.
I would prefer the longer break but I plan on leaving the wife at home so she might complain a bit if I end up going for a week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I plan on leaving the wife at home

You are in danger then of paying a hefty single supplement - best go together, and hope she gets the bug too, then you won't be moaned at!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlanB1976, You could look at the Mountainsun ski and snowboard camp in Tignes. They may have some places left. Nice quick trip before Christmas
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mogs, that's a very good idea. You going?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mogs wrote:
AlanB1976, You could look at the Mountainsun ski and snowboard camp in Tignes. They may have some places left. Nice quick trip before Christmas

This is a good option, its not the Ritz , but gets you skiing. Get on Skyscanner and find the cheap flights.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look at Andorra - we've got some excellent prices, especially self catering in Arinsal. The cheapest weeks outside of March are the middle of January.
latest report
That camp looks like a good idea
ski holidays
Is it worth considering going out for the first weekend? There are return flights from Gatwick which come in at about £60 return - add that to the €99 for 3 nights (1/2 board, accom, lift pass, skis and transfers) it does seem like a cheap option.
latest report
AlanB1976, Have a wee look here http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/index.php?id=13&L=1 stayed there this year with family. On piste, great food at around €50 a night db&b. An hour from innsbruck. Cheap easyjet flights from Bristol. Good value resort and runs suitable to your ability. Job done
snow conditions
AlanB1976, yes, the great thing about it (we've done it, and it's brilliant value, at least if you're sharing a room...) is that the lift pass is included. I don't think you'll find cheaper.
ski holidays
another thing - there is some excellent tuition available in Tignes and if the extent of piste open is limited (both by the weather and by training racers) it means you can make good use of just one or two pistes.
latest report
Shopping around the cheapest company I have found is snowtrex. Not sure if anyone has used them, but they do deals inc. Lift pass. The place I would go would be chamrouse I think it is, just 40 mins from grenoble. Cheapest would be to fly there and get a bus. Not sure about single person, but for two it seems a bargain.
snow report
Smaller, less well known resorts are much cheaper than the big famous ones. For example Val Cenis or Valfrejus, in the Haute Maurienne. The lift pass is especially cheap if you get the pass which allows you to do a day each in the resorts in the valley - you can use the bus between them.
latest report
So, if I got it right, that camp one includes everything except flights? It mentions use of test equipment but nothing of renting equipment.
ski holidays
AlanB1976, that's the idea, you get the skis included. they do have hire kit but everyone wants to use the new stuff. Pm Joanne Mountainsun and she'll tell you the score
snow report
Quote:

It mentions use of test equipment but nothing of renting equipment

good point. when we did it we had our own boots and skis, and just borrowed some of the others to try once or twice. I imagine it would be very easy to hire boots in Tignes (not everything will be open, but Mountainsun could advise) and to hire skis too, if they had nothing suitable for you to test.

Mountainsun also arranged some lessons for us, when we went - which were excellent. The instructor kept 5 of us, at varying levels of ability, very productively occupied.

If you don't have your own boots, that's the place to start with buying equipment.
snow conditions
ok. Thanks.
I just don't want to get there and can't ski because they don't have enough equipment and the hire shops are closed NehNeh
snow report
You may want to check with Mountainsun exactly what they are offering in terms of equipment since Edge2Edge have gone bust since putting up the website and they don't appear to have corrected for it.
latest report
fatbob, just for balance, weren't they continuing with a French operation?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
fatbob, just for balance, weren't they continuing with a French operation?

Hard to say officially because their website hasn't been changed or any notice put on it. UK shop is definitely finito so the guy they say will be at the Melezes probably doesn't have a job if he worked in the UK.
ski holidays
AlanB1976, I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago. I booked the Mountainsun deal and caught the skiing bug after not having skied since school. The staff at Melezes are really friendly and everything is super-convenient at a reasonable price.

As for equipment, Joanne is really helpful and she'll be able to confirm availability from the Melezes chalet. The best part for me was the equipment testing; i found a pair of very comfortable boots (which I bought) and tested different types of skis. The variety of equipment was somewhat limited when I was there, but it was all fairly new kit.

You didn't mention how good a skier you are, but i recommend lessons - Gavin certainly put me on the right track.

The last minute booking will be cheap, but can be a hassle to organise, unless it's all-inclusive. IMHO, this method would be more suitable for more experienced skiers (in groups of 4+).

Then there's always the Pre Season Bash with snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy