Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SNOW CHAINS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is there a recommended make or are they all very similar?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Weissenfells, easy to fit and great traction. Winter Tyres of course.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll pretty much get what you pay for. Buy the best you can afford as cheaper brands can fail under relatively minor stress, as I have discovered through experience. Self adjusting ones work quite well and I now have a set of RUD easy2go chains which have worked really well and have a robust build quality. You will probably get some spare links with any you buy and I would suggest you get some extra ones or something that will make a quick easy temporary repair in dark and snowing conditions. If a link does break and you repair it the next weakest one will be ready to go, do not forget tools to fit them too.

Lots of tips too including a kneeling mat, gloves, torch/head torch and a bag to put them in when removing (blue Ikea bags very good).

Oh and practice fitting them a few times.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just picked a set that seemed a reasonable price off of ebay - they seemed to go on OK. They are something I've still got to buy for the new motor so if anyone can help with a secondhand set to fit a 205/55 R16 please let me know.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1969jma, got the cheapest set I could find, put them in the boot, fitted winter tyres never had to use the chains Toofy Grin

Pop corn, large glass of red and a curry ordered, no problems here wink wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, snap.

Johnskii, it's a good job you're here otherwise we'd never have heard of spam-chains.co.uk
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, .. hmmm ... 205 55 16s, nice and wide, low profile and thus very slidey!....

We have exactly these as standard fitment on alloys on one of our cars, and for winter on go the narrower (to cut through the snow) and more forgiving 195 65 15s winter tyres on steel rims - a standard fit on the vehicle lower down the range, so still legal, thank goodness.

This is quite useful in calculating what is equivalent to what...

http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%20calculator.htm

but chains on 205 55 16 are fine of course....it's only if you are considering winter tyres that you might wish to consider a different set of dimensions, but do stay in the standard fitment range for the vehicle....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
livetoski, snap.

Johnskii, it's a good job you're here otherwise we'd never have heard of spam-chains.co.uk

Spam Chains UK Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy