Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport Car Hire Price Hike Shock

Poster: A snowHead
Shock 1: The £ is worth CHF1.12 today Shocked

Shock 2: I've just got a quote of £403 Shocked for 7 days' hire of a Ford Ka at Auto Europe - who I have used off and on in the past as their rates include snow tyres and chains.

Even the old faithful Holiday Autos discount link is coming in at £265 Sad - plus the cost of chains and snow tyres on top....

So as well as deterring people from visiting Switzerland, the strength of the Swiss Franc - and associated cost of transfers and car hire - will undoubtedly be deterring winter visitors to France from flying into Geneva. Bad news.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, Hire from the French side. wink I'm off and running. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geepee, +1

Or use the trains (only any use if they go where you want to go, but in CH they usually do)

CH is going to be quiet next season, I've got some February flights booked to Sion for a week in 4 Vallees, think my bags are going to full of pot-noodles!! Aargh......... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you tried going into a dealership in the city to get a hire? We got a Megane for just under half the airport quote in France.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Have you tried going into a dealership in the city to get a hire?
Quote:

Or use the trains

We're off to Tignes - trains are very indirect and take about 6 hours with changes. Also, the problem we have is that we land at 20.30 on a Saturday night. And we need to be at the airport at about 08.30 on a Sunday on the return run.
Quote:

Hire from the French side
I'm about to check it out Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Hire from the French side
It's currently £16 cheaper at £249 - but that would presumably be offset by the need to purchase a vignette for the Swiss motorway Puzzled Though no doubt chains/snow tyres will be cheaper in France?

Hmmmm........... Confused
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29, The trains are priced in CHF too!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict,

Go onto to Avis.com and select France-Mainland as the country and Geneva as the airport.

Then use the airport code for Geneva as GGV (near the top in the aeroport list as Geneve; Geneve Apt Secteur France: (which is the French side) GVA is the code for the Swiss side -

In the past it's been cheaper and you may find it's cheaper to buy the chains at Carrefour rather than hire them. There is a LeClerc (or similar) in Ferney on the way to Gex around 700 m or so just around the corner from the airport exit on the French side. If you find the pricing works, PM me for more detail on the local Geneva airport logistics - it's simple. but only if you know how! Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

offset by the need to purchase a vignette for the Swiss motorway

At 40 Swiss Francs!

I paid 18 Swiss francs for a (marguerita) pizza last night in departures at Geneva Airport. Tasty as it was it wasn't exactly good value for nearly £16! Mind, the price did include a "free" beer!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bergmeister, I tend to avoid the motorways as it's 20km and saves little or no time, but does inevitably use more fuel Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought that if you hire from Switzerland during the winter months, snow tyres and chains had to be included with the car, at no extra cost under Swiss law (or so I was told at the airport once). UK / web hire companies should presumably therefore not charge for them as extras?

The only time I hired from the french side at Gva, it was so much extra hassle and stress that I will not do it again (though it may have changed now, or maybe easier once you know your way round and the routine etc)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Sparks, Yes but they dont need winter tyres, snow chains, damage waiver insurance reduction, additional drivers, and expensive fuel! wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stephen buck, Yep..know the system is the way forward Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just checked our dates and hiring from the French side at GVA through Holiday Autos, a Renault Scenic, is approx £140 cheaper per week than the from the Swiss Side Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

snow tyres and chains had to be included with the car, at no extra cost under Swiss law

snow tyres have to be included, but whether it's "extra" or not is a fine point - some people have been charged extra on arrival, with no choice.

As for chains, they are usually there BUT NOT ALWAYS. So it's worthwhile checking everytime - and if you're not practiced with snowchains, fit them on where it's warm and dry, if there's snow in the offing.

On the French side it is not always possible to get chains, even as an extra and you won't get snow tyres for the standard price, either.

Getting in and out of the French side is easy when you know how, as is driving through Geneva to avoid the vignette cost, if that's a deal-breaker. But the snow tyres are worth thinking about.
snow report
have you tried giving the renault dealership in geneva a call to see what they want for a rental?
snow report
Quote:

Getting in and out of the French side is easy when you know how

I agree with that, far from easy though if you dont!! - the transfer signage is very small and the route is really difficult to find. Also stocks of hire cars on the French side are (or used to be 2-3 years ago) very limited.
snow conditions
As mentioned, the French side is coming in at only £16 or so cheaper for 8 days rental (via Holiday Autos discount link). We have rented from that side before - and have also stayed regularly in French side airport hotels, so do know our way to/from the French sector. We've never avoided the Swiss motorway into France though....

The other thing I'm wondering is, whether to hang on and see if the price comes down - which means relying on th eCHF to reduce in value Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

I paid 18 Swiss francs for a (marguerita) pizza last night in departures at Geneva Airport. Tasty as it was it wasn't exactly good value for nearly £16! Mind, the price did include a "free" beer!
Bargain! The (really nice) pizzas in the restaurant at the Geneva airport train station are around CHF22 with beer (at who knows how much these days?) on top!
snow report
mountainaddict, i also always hire from the french side. also try www.carrentals.co.uk - i always use them and have not had problems. you also get cashback through quidco with them
snow conditions
nick0861,
Quote:

i also always hire from the french side. also try www.carrentals.co.uk - i always use them and have not had problems.

+1
latest report
www.carhire3000.com and hire from the French side for me - always cheaper - even more so if you drive through the centre of town & avoid the motorways (not as bad as it seems, just take or borrow a satnav) - also always quicker than getting on the bus or walking to the Swiss hire car park plus the queues at the desks are quieter
snow report
janner, carhire3000 will appear in the comparison they carry out on carrentals, they are not always the cheapest. They compare over 40 car hire suppliers including holidayautos, 121, ebookers, expedia, erentals and loads of others.
ski holidays
skichampcouk - good to know - thanks
snow conditions
Ta to all so far - Car Hire 3000 is coming in ££££loads cheaper if I hire on the French side Smile .

Can anyone supply idiot-proof directions to avoid the Swiss motorway/vignette in a Tignes-ward direction?

Haven't looked at an atlas/map yet - but if I am starting in France, do I actually need to go into Geneva (or Switzerland) at all Puzzled
ski holidays
mountainaddict,

You can sometimes buy the vignette on ebay at a reasonable price, the cost at the Swiss travel centre is £28.50
EDIT: Vignette is now £30.50 from Swiss travel centre.

You can avoid the Swiss customs if you head for France on the Swiss motorway and turn off at the exit that is signposted to Perly. You go through St Julien en Genevois and can enter the French motorway network at the southern end of the town. There is a customs post on the road into St Julien but it is not usually manned and they don't check for a vignette as you are no longer on the Swiss motorway network.

On the way back leave the motorway at the exit signposted to St Julien en Genevois, go through the town and follow the signs for Geneva and then Geneva airport.
You will end up back on the Swiss motorway that takes you to the airport. Theoretically you should have a vignette as you are travelling a short distance on the Swiss motorway but there are normally no checks made between you entering and leaving the motorway.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 17-08-11 10:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
skichampcouk,does that take you back to the French sector?
latest report
Just hired a 9 seater mini van for the week through car hire3000 for £390 including full excess reclaim Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy French sector
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, Yes. You just carry on past the turn off to the airport, go underneath the PALEXPO building and take the next exit signposted Gd Saconnex / Ferney and then follow the signs to Ferney. The road takes you through the tunnel that goes underneath the airport runway, you turn left just after the French customs post into the French side of the airport.
You can use streeview on google map to do a trial run if you want, at least up until the tunnel that goes underrneath the runway.

The way out from the French side of the airport onto the Swiss motorway is very simple. Leave the car hire car park, follow the road (fenced for most of the way) all the way to the end. Turn right, go through customs, then through the tunnel under the runway. Turn right at the traffic lights and follow the green signs for France.
latest report
Quote:

Theoretically you should have a vignette as you are travelling a short distance on the Swiss motorway but there are normally no checks made between you entering and leaving the motorway.

probably a worthwhile risk, but you do need to be aware that if seen by the police (e.g. if caught up in a traffic incident/accident) you are very likely to be fined.

There's a good supermarket - open long hours - near the French sector, too. Leave the airport as described above then instead of turning right, and straight through the customs post before the tunnel, turn left, then right at the big roundabout, then right again at the next one (IIRC) signposted "Centre Commerciale". It has a useful snack bar, too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy