Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

question - Tignes, Les Arcs, Vaujany (Alpes d'Heuz)?

Poster: A snowHead
Just trying to decide, as we have been to all three, but only ever stayed in la Plagne.

14th Jan for a week, 2 adults, 2 kids (12 and 10) kids are pretty good on blues and reds, husband loves anything with snow, and I am a good solid skier (or was until fell season before last and tore my ACKNOWLEDGMENTS and meniscus cartilage). So I will stick to simple cruising, with a knee brace and kids, and husband will mix it up with blacks.

Accommodation will be self catered apartment, vaujany as cheap as chips, about £1000 for crossing, apartment and lift passes. Tignes approx £1400 inc passes for Rond Point de Piste in Tignes le Lac. Shoe box apartment, great location by the lifts. les Arcs we fancy 1950 as we saw it a few years ago. Nice apartment, lovely resort, but most expensive.£750 for apartment and crossing, €800 for lift passes, so approx £1500 +

Is Les Arcs 1950 worth the extra? Will need skis/boots and I know Tignes and Vaujany will be a lot cheaper.

Anyone who knows all three? As Les Arcs was a quick visit 5 years ago, and we know the other 2 resorts better.[/img]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crunchie13, I've never skied Vaujany so can't comment on that, but know Tignes (Espace Killy) and Les Arcs (Paradiski) quite well. Both offer a similar range of piste skiing, with mile upon mile of blues and reds that you and your kids will enjoy and a good sprinkling of blacks that your husband can ski. One thing that Tignes lacks is much in the way of tree-lined skiing whereas Les Arcs has quite a lot - good for times when the weather closes in. Tignes has more skiing at altitude. Other than that I don't think there's much to separate the resorts from a skiing point of view.

Arc 1950 offers an extremely resort with everything it offers a short walk in a car-free village. All the apartments are ski in/out, and are well specified and are larger than shoe boxes. I think only you can make the judgement about whether the extra cost of Les Arcs is value for money, and I suppose that depends on how much you value the convenience and space.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You've got a good line up there

I've been to Vaujany and it's a lovely little village. Less to do than in the evening than in Tignes or Les Arcs but still a couple of nice pubs and restaurants plus a supermarket, bakerys etc. The access into the ski area is via a big cable car and from the top of there you've pretty much got all of the domain accessible.

If it was me, I'd probably go for Tignes as I prefer location over size for apts, but then we don't have kids?? Sure you'll have a great time wherever you go!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vaujany is one of my favourite places. It doesn't offer ski-in ski-out but is pretty convenient - worth checking exactly where the appartment is because some are right next to the lift station; others are up the hill (there are escalators to help with that and you could just drive down in the morning - there is a free underground car park right next to the lift station which never seems to fill up). The 2 lifts out of the lift station connect very well with the Alpe d'Huez area. It also has a very nice pool complex if your kids don't manage to tire themselves out on the slopes. It is a pretty sleepy place so fairly limited options if you want to eat out
The skiing is very good. I'd say Tignes is the best of the three by a small margin (if pistes are your thing); ADH/Vaujany and Les Arcs I would put on a fairly equal footing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tignes - Excellent skiing - much more challenging, limited in poor weather, Ugly but who cares when the skiing is that good. Very good for early or late skiing

Les Arcs - Excellent well linked pistes ie often two routes down the mountain, Good skiing through the trees if weather turns nasty. 1800 is much cheaper than 1950 and as convenient but not as pretty.

Vaujany - Can be a paff to get on the slopes but attractive - ski area is good but Vaujany is on the edge of it. I would consisder Oz en Oisans - as cheap but more convenient and more to do for kids. Ski pass prices can be flexible depending on area required.

There are loads of apartments available in all of these resorts so shop around.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think griffterski, touches on what might separate them for you. Robrar would know best, but i've a feeling Tignes fares better than Les Arcs for snow in the leaner times and early/late season. so if you're booking in advance and maybe late or early in the season perhaps Tignes would be the choice of the two....... that's the main reason i've been to Tignes three times, but not Les Arcs. Have been to ADH and it's a pretty good hill, but not in the same league as the Espace Killy, for variety and mile munching.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crunchie13, I'd take exactly the opposite view to rogg, having been to all 3 with kids. Tignes in January is a big risk from the weather point of view, and I think there are more out of control skiers there than in the other two (sticking my neck out) which as a parent worries you about your kids. In Vaujany our kids went to group lessons, and by the third day they were the only two in the class and effectively had 3 half days provate tuition. Vaujany feels more like a small resort, but has access to a large area. The lower runs are the easier runs, so going up to the top of Alpe d'Huez is good skiers only really. Les Arcs lacks the village charm unless you're in old Peisey, but thats a schlepp to the lifts. Vallandry has worked well with colleagues on family holidays and the slopes can be very quiet in January, treelined with access to the whole domaine when the sun shines. So Tignes no, but either of the other two yes - perhaps it comes down to price in the end.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's all horses for courses ... but reading between the lines I'd plump for Vaujany or Oz en Oisans which griffterski also recommends. The great thing about Vaujany is the speed with which you get up the hill - one jump to Alpette and another to the top of the Dome. Reading what your kids can do, then I'd suggest they can exit from either and would have lovely long scenic cruisey runs down. The area round Montfort (above Vaujany) is tree lined and pretty with good places to eat and amazingly empty in January - I reckon you'll never have to queue, and can't say that about Tignes. You're also well positioned on one flank of the resort for manageable (but if you're ten years old) exciting trips to Villard Reculas and Auris. Vaujany looks really pretty when looking down from Alpette or heading down La Fare, and both Oz and Vaujany are likely to be cheaper than Tignes. Plenty of big ski opportunities if I've underestimated your levels, the top of Pic Blanc is a wonder of the Alps, Alpe d'Huez itself kind of manageable when smothered in January snow, ski school small at that time of year, transport links into Vaujany very quick (at least half the transfer time of either of the other two resorts you mention) and Tignes / Les Arcs will always be there next year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All these are valid points and show why it is a dilemma!

We usually ski in Jan so are used to good snow, but sometimes dodgy weather. Therefore tree lined runs might be good, hadn't thought of that. Tignes we skies in last time and kids coped with a full day across to val d'isere, bar the collision they had when then 8 year old crashed into 10 year old and gave her concussion! So I am not worried about them as they are not having lessons and will be 10 and 12 with 5 weeks skiing under their belts.

Vaujany is quiet, we stayed as a couple there and loved it, but slightly put off by non ski-in ski-out. It may be cheap, but kids often need daddy to carry skis. Could stay elsewhere in resort as loved the long runs from pic blanc to the bottom.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want to do Alpe D'Huez there are lots of ski in/out apartments (or nearly in other cases) in the Les Bergers area. I've stayed there a couple of times and got reasonably priced apartments each time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have stayed in all 3 recently (ie over the last few years)

Vaujany - fantastic, not that hard to get into the main runs of ADH - and you're going against the main traffic from ADH most of the time. Recommend staying at Chalet La Maitreya (alhtough it's not SC - so a less helpful recommendation) and theres a lovely wee cafe just above Vaujany. Infact the slopes of Vaujany are great, and we wished we had spent more time on them.

Tignes - lots and lots of skiing on your doorstep

Les Arcs - we stayed in 1650, and 1950 looked like a better location with lots of sking on your doorstep - although it is a bit more exposed.

I'd suggest that all can provide a fanstastic holiday, you can't go wrong. If Vaujany is the cheapest, we found it no worse an experience for this than the other resorts..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok perhaps I am looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find cheap places in les arcs 1800 or oz. I have been looking at erna low as they include eurotunnel crossing, although do have Tesco vouchers for a free crossing.

Where else is recommended?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crunchie13, I lived in Arc 1800 last season. If you're looking self-catering you have a few options:

Top end: Alpages de Chantel, similar type accommodation as you'll find in 1950. TOs all use it, plus I think rob@rar has a flat there.
Mid-range: Le Belmont apartments. Smaller, but decent location a couple of minutes walk from the main lifts.
Low-end: Charmetogger apartments, Le Ruiter/Le Thuria apartments, Charvet & Villards apartments. Small, basic, but (depending which one you go for) no more than 2 or 3 minutes walk to the lifts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crunchie13, if you're looking at Arc 1800 I have an apartment there which might be suitable. Click here for details.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rob I looked at your apartment and it looks fab, but costwise it is no cheaper than 1950 (although I am sure much nicer inside and bigger). However tell me why 1800 is better than 1950?

Lastly the other concern is the drive down, Vaujany is nearest, and a simple short drive off teh main drag. Les Arc is a trek, how much longer does it take?

All three are good skiing, I suppose it is a question of ski-in ski-out and style v's cost.
snow report
Crunchie13, 1800 seems a bit cheaper than 1950, but I wouldn't say it was better.

No idea where Vaujany is, but Les Arcs is about 9.5 hours driving time from Calais. Very straightforward journey, with autoroute or dual-carriageway for almost all the journey.

I think whichever resort you choose will be a great holiday Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

No idea where Vaujany is,
It's a delightful little village which is joined to the Alpe d'Huez area by a lift.
snow report
Pedantica, thanks. Isn't that a longer drive from Calais than Les Arcs or Tignes?
snow conditions
rob@rar, dunno, never driven there.
snow conditions
I thought so too but not according to viamichelin. Only about 40 miles in 650 or so though.
latest report
Colin B, thanks.
snow report
although the route they suggest is ridiculous; down to Rouen west of Paris and through the middle of France down to Lyon, takes 14 hours Shocked. Using a sensible route via Reims it's only about 15 miles closer, but still 14 hours, they must build in a lot of breaks.
snow conditions
rob@rar,
Quote:

No idea where Vaujany is

Its part of ADH and not far from Oz where my little Snowshepherd was last season.

Drive is about the same as Les Arc depending on traffic just a diff route via Grenoble.

Crunchie13, I would agree with all the comments above as well but throw in Peisey in Les Arc good access to slopes, for all abilities and also a little cheaper than the rest of Les Arc.
ski holidays
Sabreboy thanks for that chalet recommendation, looks fab and they have a small sc apartment. But I am worried about dragging 4 sets of skis around when the kids are knackered. So I think ski in ski out is the way to go. Also with my potentially knackered knee I want easy, simple and worst case scenario somewhere to hang out if I can't ski. I think a hemel hemstead test run may be needed before we go for it!
latest report
Crunchie13, Chalet hosts take you up and down to the lifts by minibus, on demand - very accomodating so (almost) no walking required. We are ski-in ski-out fans, but this was the next best thing.

As for hanging out for non-skiing folks, don't know, we fortuantely never had to do that, but Vaujany I think had little to offer. It had a couple of nice bars/cafes to sit in - but not enough to keep you going for more than a day unless you have a large pile of good books.
snow report

Crunchie13, Like rob, well aquainted with the les Arcs option, and although having skied Tignes and ADH, it was a few years ago so not really in a position to comment.

1950 is where our apartment is, and if ski in-out is what you are after, there is simply nowhere to touch it. The pistes come through the traffic-free village, so you clip out outside the front door if you want to stop off at the shops / restaurants, and in the morning, the boot rooms have direct access to the pistes.

Size wise, not quite US standard, but our apartment, 2 bedroom 2 bath is 56sq m , plus 18sqm balcony (view from said balcony...) , so considerably larger than the oldie rabbit hutches of 2000

As the guys have said, car parking is expensive, but is underground, (warm, dry) and secured with 24/7 guard- but if you are able to book through an apartment owner direct rather than a TO they will usually throw in the parking space. Mind you, you could always ask the TO...!

But wherever you go, I'm sure you'll enjoy.
snow report
I love Tignes - Espace Killy is my favourite ski area, haven't done the others so hardly a useful post...but Tignes! Laughing
ski holidays
Why is it so hard to decide ski resorts, I mean I have narrowed it down to 3 and I think I am going to go for Les arcs, We have skied Tignes a lot, so kinda fancy a new place, also the place I have found doesn't excite me much. We want self catering ski-in ski-out. Vaujany is out for the same reasons, Kids are not that great at carrying skis, and they like the convience, so that leaves Les Arcs. AAlso the reminder of the tree skiing which I love and Espace killy doesn't have so much of. Lastly if my knee doesn't hold up, I can get around all the villages and 'mooch'.

Now it is driving v's train, but that is a new thread!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crunchie13, just to float another option and add to the confusion NehNeh

If you're looking for budget SISO self catered, large ski area, relatively snow sure - how about La Tania (part of 3V). It's the lower part of the area so below the tree line, with good access to the rest of the area.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy