Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Houches Lift Pass Confusion

Poster: A snowHead
I am off to Les Houches with a group of friends next February and I am trying to get my head around the lift pass options. We are looking for a three day pass which will enables us to ski Les Houches + the other Chamonix valley resorts, but also potentially gives the option of skiing in Courmayeur if the snow is better etc. We are trying to keep costs down, Our group consists mainly of confident intermmediates so I think we may get bored with just the les houches slopes for three days.

What advice would people offer on this?

I nearly asked about car hire on the french side of geneva airport but thought I might get lynched!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For three days I would just get a day pass for each area that I was skiing. Works out cheaper than getting a MB Unlimited pass. You can also get the same day pass for Courmayeur although you will need to pay more for the MB tunnel than if you had a MB Unlimited pass and voucher.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought this web page is quite clear.

The bottom line is Les Houches has never been a part of Chamonix. It is a small local operator who doesn't want to be eaten up by the big brother. If you buy a standard Chamonix pass you wont find Les Houches in it. Only whole valley type ski pass cover both but by then it also covers the Italian Courmayeur and the Swiss Verbier for a minimum of 6 days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I nearly asked about car hire on the french side of geneva airport but thought I might get lynched!!

Do a search - there's plenty of information available. I did a search which came up with a heap of relevant threads, including this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49646&highlight=car+automobile+hire+french+side+geneva+ferney

the short answer is that it's a lot easier, and usually not a lot more expensive (sometimes even cheaper) to hire on the Swiss side. But if you find a bargain on the French side, it's not rocket science. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Saikee says, Les Houche is a separate area from Chamonix and has only recently joined in with even the Chamonix Unlimited combined pass.

The maths suggests that Touchguru is correct. A 1 day pass for Les Houche is €33.20 and a 1 day pass for Chamonix (excluding the top cable car which can be purchased separately if you feel you really need to do it - but as confident intermediates it is not necessary) is €42. Two days in Chamonix is €79.

I agree that Les Houche will not entertain you for more than a day (although the World Cup run might) so I suggest 1 day in Les Houche and 2 in Chamonix. There are 3 distinct areas so you might have to miss out on one as, although buses travel between them it can take some time and you don't want to spend your time on a bus rather than on the snow). The lift pass for the 3 days would be a total of €112.20. The 3 day Chamonix Unlimited pass for 3 days (which is cheaper if purchased in Les Houches!) is €146.

I would not go to Courmayeur unless you get up very early in the morning. Even with bad snow (which we had last year) there is plenty of intermediate skiing in Chamonix not to waste your time on the bus.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
While I might disagree with

Quote:
Les Houche(s) is a separate area from Chamonix (no more separate than Grands Montets or Le Tour) and has only recently joined in
ummm, it was only off the MBU season 2008-9 and had been on previously

or

Quote:

Les Houche(s) will not entertain you for more than a day

this depends entirely on the snow, weather or your appetite for a good lunch

Quote:

there is plenty of intermediate skiing in Chamonix

is certainly true snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pmercer, here is a small thread from 2008 that you may like to read http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=816925&highlight=les+houches#816925

and http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=693230&highlight=les+houches#693230
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all of the advice, it looks like the best plan will be to wait and see what the snow conditions are like and then decide on a plan. Has anyone skied Courmayeur whilst staying in les Houches? how easy was this to do? Also has anyone stayed at the Hotel Saint Antione before? is it walkable to the lifts?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1.6km to Bellevue Cable Car (prob 2.5 km to Prarion bubble which is better). Not something I'd want to do, but I am indolent.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a bus going past the hotel which is reasonably frequent, to LH or Cham.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pmercer wrote:
Also has anyone stayed at the Hotel Saint Antione before? is it walkable to the lifts?

I've stayed there.

The room was huge and had a massive balcony, and the price was dirt cheap (€50 per night at New Years). I have no complaints at all. I would only advise to eat your meals elsewhere. The restaurant was average at best for dinner, and the breakfast was over-priced. There is also not much else going on in the immediate vacinity of the hotel. But the room was great for the price.

No, you cannot walk to the lifts, but there is a bus stop right outside that takes you in one direction to the Les Houches ski area and in the other to Chamonix. The bus from Chamonix runs quite late, so it works out as a good base to ski and go out in Chamonix without spending a fortune.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The bus from Chamonix runs quite late

Not late enough for a night out it doesn't...and it's a right pain if you miss the last one...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think the last one was around 11:30 pm. Which for me was late enough.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ami in berlin, hmmm, what year was that? I don't think they've run that late Les Hs-> CHX in recent years (or I'd have used them)...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pmercer, If you PM me, I will give you the names and contact numbers for a senior English guy that works for CMB in Chamonix -he's brilliant and I've spoken to him a number of times to sort issues out and emailed yesterday to check timings etc for the 2011/2012 season passes. Cool Oh and on Car Hire -the car hire desks close on the French side an hour earlier than on the Swiss side, so a evening flight if delayed may mean missing your hire care pickup Cool

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 12-08-11 14:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
under a new name, It was 2008. It would be a shame if it's no longer running.
latest report
ami in berlin, really, how did I miss that.

It certainly seems not to be running any more. Can't check easily as only the summer timetables up on the site...
snow report
I seem to remember there being something of a break in the schedule between 19:30 and 22:30, so you kind of have to commit to staying out a little later at a certain point. But given the savings on lodging I really didn't find it that intrusive.
snow conditions
ami in berlin, maybe it was only Cham to LHs - which I would have missed as we'd have been going the other way.
ski holidays
Looking at the piste map for LHs is it possible to link with the St Gervais area using the mountain train without having to drive?
ski holidays
My understanding is that you can get to St Gervais but not easily back...
latest report
We stayed in Les Houches last week of Feb this year and it was different!

The group consisted from a first timer on proper snow to 14wks+.

Our apartment was across the road from the Bellevue cable car and it was raining when we arrived.

Having skied at Tignes, Val and LDA before, my first thoughts was who brought me here-but that soon changed.

Next morning we opened the curtains to some good snow on the floor, like you, we was unsure and bought the 3 day valley pass, so we could go further along the valley if we got bored. First day in Les Houches was good with easy Off Pisted thrown in (for some).

We then spent a day at all 4/5 resorts in the valley as the luxury you do have is that they all face in different directions, so asking the locals who tend to be British most of the time you can hunt out the good snow. Les Houches is on the end of the valley, so in a morning if you get on the bus you can get an empty seat and sit all the way up-to Le Tour. Downside is when getting on the bus in the centre can be like a Next sale. Really we found all the stations had thier own +/- and on the last day we skied Les Houches again but if your fast all runs can be skied by dinner.

One thing I will add is that you come away knowing why people speak so highly of the valley as it does get in your blood.

The only minus I had about all the resort would be that if I took the kids it would take alot of time for a small return due to the buses. But when you are in the Valley the bus give you access to so much variety really that you learn to embrace it.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice everyone. We intend to hire cars so this will hopefuly make getting around the valley a little easier/quicker. I think our flight is a mid day arrival so hopefuly the french desk will be open. Price wise the french side is half the price of the same car on the swiss side of the airport!! I am toying with doing the valle blanche, any guides poeple would recommend?
ski holidays
pmercer, guide, Lars at www.mountainpenguins.com

Just be aware the French hire car won't have a Swiss vignette, so you'll need to go through town to get onto the autoroute.
ski holidays
As a middle of the road intermmediate skier should I be scared of the Valle Blanche? I am very comfortable on reds, get down blacks ok and muck around off the edge/between pistes etc. I have also muddled my way down Tortin in verbier etc Just trying to decide whether i could find myself out of my depth.
latest report
pmercer sounds like you are the perfect level to enjoy it. Obviously you need to go with a guide but they will be able to assess your level and take you down the most appropriate route. The last few kilometres is a pretty flat schuss so technically not difficult at all but the experience is great.
snow report
pmercer wrote:
As a middle of the road intermmediate skier should I be scared of the Valle Blanche? I am very comfortable on reds, get down blacks ok and muck around off the edge/between pistes etc. I have also muddled my way down Tortin in verbier etc Just trying to decide whether i could find myself out of my depth.

The skiing is nothing to worry about. The walk down the ridge at the start might get the pulse going...
ski holidays
I might be a chicken and skip through the tunnel and do it from the Italian side to avoid the ridge!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's not that bad when it's equipped, there's a rope handrail and a fairly deep trench to walk in. I've done it a few times and never felt the need to rope up or use crampons/ice axe. It's a bit more worrying very early in the season before the rope is set up, in that case I was very glad of an ice axe. I think guides rope up their clients even when it's equipped, so it really is not that dangerous.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy