Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which route should I take to St Anton from Munich?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at Google maps it gives me 3 options

1. via Friedrichshafen
2. via Rosenheim and Innsbruck
3. via Garmisch.

I dont know the area in relation to passes or tunnels that need to be used and my question is, are all of these valid options or are some of them not possible in winter.

As an aside we may well stay in Stuben. Does this make a difference to the options above.

thanks

Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oi Oi Savaloy, Your option 2
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oi Oi Savaloy, Forgot Stuben - either through Arlberg tunnel (toll) or over the Arlbergpass (always open but you will need chains if bad weather, plus obviously winter tyres on either route.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks Mark
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oi Oi Savaloy, It depends on what time of day you are travelling. If you manage to get to the start of the Garmisch Autobahn early (i.e about 6:30AM) then the fastest way is via Garmisch and over Fernpass. I do Munich St.Anton in about 2h15 going that way. Problem is the Fernpass gets stuffed full of busses and dutchmen later on which can add another hour to the journey.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oi Oi Savaloy, if you are using a hire car from Munich airport, the easiest route for you is via the A99 going in the direction of Stuttgart, then follow signs to Lindau and the A96. Stay on the A96 following the signs to Bregenz. You may have a hold up near Bregenz at the Pfandertunnel, depending on when you are travelling. From Bregenz you follow signs to St Anton but do not need to go through the tunnel if you are staying in Stuben, as it is on the road up to Lech.

As Steilhang says most locals use the Garmisch route but we do need to set off really early to beat the Dutch with their caravans and the HGVs and coaches. The chances of you missing that lot are slim at best! Plus getting across Munich to the Garmisch autobahn is not always as straightforward as people think, especially as there are major roadworks at the beginning of the A95 which are causing major delays. There is also a strong chance of getting held up at Oberau where the A95 ends and the old Olympia main road starts. On some popular changeover weekends there are massive hold ups at the end of the A95 at Eschenlohe and onwards through Garmisch.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy