Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alp D Heuz Bucket Lift

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Can anyone tell me about these i.e. how to get on/off, speed, number of people, hight, location e.t.c.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You wait until the bucket appears and then you are craned into it, just like you used to be onto car ferries. When you arrive at the other end, you are craned off. The loading time is about twenty minutes, and unloading similar.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks
However my question is a serious one as we are beginers and a little scared of lifts not used before
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They come around in groups of 6 or so buckets. It all slows down but doesn't quite stop in the lift station and you step on. The bucket will wobble around a bit at this point but there is plenty of stuff to hold on to. There is a gate which locks shut as you leave the lift station. You can get about 4 people into a bucket.

Where in ADH are you staying? If you are down near the tourist office, the buckets are quite useful. In other places, not so much
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You ascend steps to a platform. The buckets come in and almost stop, the gates on them open and you step in. It's not massively high, like looking out of a 1st to 2nd floor window. They do move rather slowly though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnbushrod, Hope the above replies clarify things. Incidentally they are sometimes referred to as the "yoghurt pots", which I think is a nice description. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnbushrod they move so slowly you are more likely to be bored than scared. They are designed to be used by kids, grannies dogs, anything so they are very easy to access and exit even in full ski kit carrying skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you get on/off first make sure to give it a good kick to get it swinging, makes it more interesting for the next person.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stayed in josef perre chalet and they are right outside and found them great for acces to the lifts in the morning and when I was there no waiting either.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are fine. A little awkward to get on and off with your skis. They are slow and probably not pleasant in very bad weather. No problem for beginners or anyone else
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mark1863 wrote:
They are fine. A little awkward to get on and off with your skis. They are slow and probably not pleasant in very bad weather. No problem for beginners or anyone else

Definitely easier, though, if you take your skis off first.... wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, Excellent mental image... Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am sure you know what I meant. It alway a bit of a scramble getting 2 or 3 people in one complete with skis (in your hands!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark1863, endless days of sunshine when I was there and little bit of extra recovery time never goes amiss in the morning Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
johnbushrod, Hope the above replies clarify things. Incidentally they are sometimes referred to as the "yoghurt pots", which I think is a nice description. Madeye-Smiley

Lobster pots was our prefered name!

Not difficult or scary, we just found them annoying as no-one hase mentioned once you speed up after leaving the station you soon slow right down as the set of buckets behind enters the station and it's a fixed system. Much prefer the flat chairlift over to Bergers which (dependent on time) is generally quieter than the main DMC lift. Also gives you access to Auris, which holds snow well when Alpe d'Huez has been sun battered and is quieter when ADH is rammed!
ski holidays
i,m staying at the hotel hermitage, does anyone know if these bucket lifts are my best option of getting to the main lifts or is there an alternative quicker method?
ski holidays
rizzotherock, my advice from the hermitage is walk to the DMC its probably quicker than walking to the bucket lift as the nearest is next to the icerink, one of the buses will got past but i've never used it for the past three seasons. I'll try and dig out a bus route to confirm that you can get one
snow report
thanks for that, is it a long walk to the dmc?
snow report
rizzotherock, it won't be much more than five minutes walk uphill to the DMC. If that really bothers you, there's a short draglift opposite the yoghurt pot station (a minutes walk downhill), which will let you traverse to the DMC in half the time.
snow conditions
rizzotherock, I've stayed at the Hermitage, even with young kids it was easier/faster to walk up the (slight) hill than get the bucket lift. They are sooooooooooooooooooo slow. Rental shop is right opposite the hotel so make sure you pre-book equipment with them rather than risk a hike across resort if you book with a TO. Best bacon I've ever had on a ski hol (proper British bacon - hope it still is).
snow conditions
thanks for the great advice, looking forward to the bacon and eggs already!
snow report
harrisontherabbit wrote:
rizzotherock, it won't be much more than five minutes walk uphill to the DMC. If that really bothers you, there's a short draglift opposite the yoghurt pot station
That, I seem to remember, certain snowBoarders are afraid of... harrisontherabbit! Toofy Grin
Quote:
(a minutes walk downhill), which will let you traverse to the DMC in half the time.
ski holidays
rizzotherock wrote:
thanks for the great advice, looking forward to the bacon and eggs already!

Just don't have the Coq au vin Skullie

+1 for the drag lift and traverse, keep a high line coming off the drag to minimise skating. The uphill hike is a fair old schlep with gear.
ski holidays
meandrew,

Hi am also staying at Piere Joseph this yet whats the score ?
snow report
johnbushrod, Pere Josef. Two small chalets which can function as one large one if you want, on the main road opposite the steps to the tourist office and the bucket lift. Short walk to the chair which takes you across to Les Bergers if you prefer.
ski holidays
Oh, bucket lift, I wasn't reading propery and thought it saud bucket list!! I was about to comment on the zillions of things I want to do before I croak it!!

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rizzotherock, When will you be at the hermitage were staying from 07/01.
snow report
I don't understand these people who have paid good money for a lift pass and then decide to walk uphill. Madness

I'd go with the short drag lift which is about 50 metres down from the Hermitage.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy