Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

being a snowboard instructor.. why so humiliating?

Poster: A snowHead
I think this is the appropriate moment for this little flowchart Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
monika wrote:
...maybe I should look elsewhere....?
M

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I am pure evil, I know.

Teasing aside, if you find the info you need here, then that's great. But it's a forum and you know what forums are like - people say things, things get heated, people get upset. On the other hand, this place is also fun and friendly. You have to take the good with the bad.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
monika wrote:
i use text speak because my time is limited and it is simply quicker..

But clearly not so limited that you had time to start a somewhat self-focused thread with no logical link to source material on a forum you'd never posted on before?

If you are genuine and want to be a snowboard instructor go and do it and stop moaning on the internet - there are BASI courses running every other week all summer it seems.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

That is the only criteria.

Criterion, assuming you really only have one of them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
monika,

Most people on this thread have tried to be positive and encouraging even though your first post was fairly cryptic and you seemed a bit err... whiney. But most gave you the benefit of the doubt.

But I'm afraid your last two responses have done you no favours at all. You end one post by saying:
Quote:
Anyhow, I started looking on this forum for advice on training to be an instructor, as I have spent a few seasons as a boarder.

If that's what you wanted then why didn't you ask. Instead you come across as a bit of a drama queen with the my-whole-world's-crushed opening salvo. And then confirm this with your overly sensitive responses.

I started reading this thread with a modicum of sympathy but now I'm on Monium's team - grow a thicker skin and learn to take a bit of stick. (although I still think that Snowboard Instructor is a cool job title, much cooler than Business Development Manager).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jzBun wrote:
(although I still think that Snowboard Instructor is a cool job title, much cooler than Business Development Manager).

Whose job title is that? You're right, Snowboard Instructor is cooler than Business Development Manager. Partly because the correct name for that is Salesperson. I won't go into the correct name for a Snowboard Instructor Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monium, you still haven't told us what you do that's so 'real'. Come on, fess up. You're a traffic warden aren't you?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
monika, if you fancy giving teaching a go then go for it. At the very least you will have some great instruction when you are training.

Don't bother listening to any of the negativity. Some people are full of poo-poo
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Zero-G, awesome flowchart.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elston wrote:
monika, if you fancy giving teaching a go then go for it. At the very least you will have some great instruction when you are training.

Don't bother listening to any of the negativity. Some people are full of shit

But most people on here are willing to help and offer advice to people who are really into skiing/ boarding.

If Monika( a possible sock name) really wanted to be a boring instructor, a little rewording would have got a load of advice.

Good luck anyway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
Monium, you still haven't told us what you do that's so 'real'. Come on, fess up. You're a traffic warden aren't you?

What I do isn't, in my opinion, a real job. It doesn't feel like one, anyway. It also means very little to anybody outside a very small bit of one business. Luckily it is worth a lot of money to that business, which is good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

That is the only criteria.

Monium, if you have only one, it is a criterion. Since we're giving advice on written English. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swirly, and that ^ looks like xkcd, one of my fave comic strips.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium wrote:
What I do isn't, in my opinion, a real job. It doesn't feel like one, anyway. It also means very little to anybody outside a very small bit of one business. Luckily it is worth a lot of money to that business, which is good.

Fluffer?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G wrote:
Monium wrote:

Fluffer?

I deal with a lot of ladies' front bottoms every day, if that's what you mean Very Happy
snow conditions
Haha but no, wrong gender.
ski holidays
Monium, your job feeds and houses you, pays for your ski holidays and makes a lot of money for your employer. But you've got no respect for it and consider it not to be 'real'. Puzzled
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Monium, your job feeds and houses you, pays for your ski holidays and makes a lot of money for your employer. But you've got no respect for it and consider it not to be 'real'. Puzzled

Honesly, anybody that has the amount of time we seem to for posting on SH in the daytime isn't doing a real job. Unless they work nights, obviously. Just seems like common sense to me - I find my job incredibly easy. Everyone else doesn't. That's why it is worth money I guess. Doesn't make it a real job - applying common sense to things is the minimum standard I have for a job, not the maximum Smile
ski holidays
Monium, interesting to see that you class the task of selling you your lift ticket as 'not real'. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Monium, interesting to see that you class the task of selling you your lift ticket as 'not real'. Laughing

It's not particularly real as it could simply be achieved entirely electronically through the internet if one had the requisite format of RFID card to upload the credit to. Advising on which pass is most appropriate for needs for those uncertain is where the need for human interaction comes in and indeed in managing those unfamilar with the concepts of lifts, money, credit card PINs etc etc.
snow report
fatbob, you' be surprised at the number of people who genuinely don't want to buy online and would rather stand in a queue in the cold on a Sunday morning. No, I don't get it either. Puzzled
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Quote:
I have spent a few seasons as a boarder...

you're way over qualified to be an instructor... Toofy Grin
latest report
cran, see earlier post regarding fat middle-aged skiers. And help yourself to a slap round the head. Laughing
latest report
monika wrote:
I shall speak in full English, for those that refuse to use "text speak" , my original post was in comment to a thread at which someone seemed very cynical about snowboard instruction as a whole, I shall add a link to this (my error for not having previously done so)
i use text speak because my time is limited and it is simply quicker.. perhaps many of the people whom post on here are familiar with this?
I started looking at this thread for constructive commentary and criticism, perhaps those who word things with a negative or derogatory slant might learn well from my comments.. Some, particularly the younger or less experienced members of this forum, are more likely to learn from positive encouragement and advice. Those that have children or partners I expect would understand this.
Anyhow, I started looking on this forum for advice on training to be an instructor, as I have spent a few seasons as a boarder... we shall see.. But maybe I should look elsewhere....?

M

Mmmm. . . elderly farts have as much respect for language as they do for sliding, and like sliding the less practice the worse the result . . . but back to the topic, Just from observation there is still a huge spread of both ability and standards in snowboard instruction running from advanced sideslip to kamakarzie(sic) incorporating the 'lets analyse the aɾse out of this finger twitch and how it relates to the pressure on your heelside big toe rolling eyes .

Best you can do is keep watching and talking to people who've been through the mill and take the route that best suits your temperament and riding style. Must admit I'd rather BBQ a bollock than go the BASI route but plenty of people get a lot out of it.

Never forget that there are plenty here that will never experience that feeling of complete 'oneness' with the snow that only a snowboard gifts us. What they can never understand they will mock.
snow conditions
It's like that old old joke isn't it.

Q: What's the difference between a snowboarding beginner, and a snowboard instructor?

A: Nothing, they're all stupid baggy trousered posers with big stupid headphones!
ski holidays
Excellent thread, dummy tits flying in all directions rolling eyes . Like the flow chart Zero-G, and Swirly.. very apt picture Cool . And only one comment on the penetrating oil Shocked . Anyway folks keep up the good work,I need something to amuse me until the snow comes. Razz
snow report
There is nothing wrong with snowboard instructors, all the stigma comes from ski instructors that have spent so much time becoming good skiers that they wouldn't dare start from the beginning again for the fear of being called a noob.

Times have changed - kids spend too much time on game consoles and snowboarding is more fun than skiing, there is nothing that can be done about it so get over it.
ski holidays
Boarder7064 wrote:
Times have changed - kids spend too much time on game consoles and snowboarding is more fun than skiing, there is nothing that can be done about it so get over it.

These are INDEED words of wisdom, facts are after all are.....facts!. NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy