Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Payment for petrol in USA with credit card

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Many pay-at-the-pump petrol stations in the US require you to enter the 5 digit billing zip code (Not PIN number) of the credit card that you're using. This presents a problem when you use your UK issued credit card.

Anyone got any experience on this ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crusader, over the last 5 years i have spent a combined total of nearly 12 weeks in America. Each time ive had a hire car and never experienced this. As an alternative, just use a "manned" petrol station. One thing that really annoys me in America is when you have to pay first. Its a hired car and how the hell do i know how much fuel its going to take? The first time we filled up the Jeep 2 years ago on a freezing cold (-42c) January morning just off I90 this scenario happened to me. I walked into the kiosk to pre pay, handed over $90 and said im filling it up. So you can imagine the shock on my face when the pump "clicked" at less than $45 to fill a 4wd 2 ton Jeep!!! I went back in and got the other $45 from the attendant. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ricklovesthepowder, might be this stupid idea is only confined to California and Nevada. The only thing one could do in such circumstances is to go inside the petrol station and leave one's credit with the cashier before filling up.
I also had similar experience when I had to prepaid by credit card and got the change back in cash after filling up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always just key in 00000 - seems to work. Lots of places seem to be prepay now - simply hand them a fifty then go in and collect your change after.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not just US that can be an issue. Some/many Belgian petrol stations seem to be either Belgian EC card only or pre-pay. Wouldn't even accept my Dutch EC card. And to make things a bit more interesting, some allow normal fill-then-pay only on the row closest to the cashier's kiosk.

Every gas station I used in the US wanted pre-pay. Didn't try the fake code for the CC. Only problem was trying to guesstimate how many $ might fit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At first I though pre-payment will be problem, but it's no big deal. You give kinda right amount (or totally off amount) of money, fill your tank and go back to collect rest. Sure you need to walk 2 times 20m instead of doing this trip only once, but that's only problem I see with pre-pay system.
PS: At least in all this travel I did around USA, I never had problems with getting this money back. But I believe someone might have different experience.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crusader wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, might be this stupid idea is only confined to California and Nevada.

No, it's getting more and more prevalent. So if you haven't experienced it before, you probably will the next time you visit.

If the fake code doesn't work, you can go in and hand them your credit card. The attendant can open the pump with your credit card. You will have to go back to retrieve your card but there's no need to guess how much cash to hand over.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No problems with pre pay just hand over some cash or creditcard, as its only security. Its the same in Canada too.

Watching the casiers check the $100 notes is fun, then paying with small bills unless needing change Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had the same issue with credit card requiring a ZIP code in the Florida keys and also in North Carolina and Tennesee. But rarely did I come across this in Orlando. And like others on here I had to pre pay with cash and then get the change back.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Give your zipcode as 90210 wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Sure you need to walk 2 times 20m instead of doing this trip only once

It's actually a scheme designed to get obese, car-addicted Americans to take more exercise..............
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Acacia wrote:
Quote:

Sure you need to walk 2 times 20m instead of doing this trip only once

It's actually a scheme designed to get obese, car-addicted Brits to take more exercise..............

Fix it for you!

(Americans will all have address with zip code so can pay at the pump Smile )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, Good point! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
(Americans will all have address with zip code so can pay at the pump Smile )

Americans are often the size of a zip code. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is common in Florida & California. Just prepay inside.

Out in the middle of nowhere like Utah,Nebraska,Nevade & Wyoming zip codes are not required.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy