Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort suggestions in France please - need a change but a fussy group - Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Have been 'lumbered' with organising our groups ski trips for over a decade and it just doesn't get any easier! rolling eyes

We have been to Morzine and Les Gets for the last 3 years and want to go somehwere else in France in early March 2012, here is the ridiculous criteria I have:

Within 2 hour transfer max from Geneva or Lyons
Non sharing accomodation, half want catered half want self catered (maybe semi catered then!!)
Min 3 bedrooms rooms, ideally 4 (1 couple, 3 girls and 1 guy going - none of the girls are with the guy!). Min 3 bathrooms.
Accomodation near to ski lifts
Ski area suitable for a very nervous beginner (on their 5th ski holiday!), 2 boarders and 3 intermediate skiers
Reasonable nightlife for the 2 single girls (they were happy with Morzine, Les Gets was too quiet for them).

I was thinking Meribel, but accomodation doesen't seem to come cheap. Any other thoughts, opinions and suggestions would be very welcome!

Roll on next year when we have to take our son for his first ski holiday and have childrens requirements and school holidays to throw into the mix........................................... Laughing .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpe d'Huez?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Clusaz/Grand Bornand ?

edit: sorry, on re-reading the OP the nightlife is pretty quiet there.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 2-08-11 11:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i go to valdisere alot !! and use mountain rooms.com there,s a apartment called Santons 7 great location 50 yards from the pistes and with log burner great views very spacious no trick photography!! i would know as i am one of those lovely estate agents !!!, I used to stay in ViP CHALETS but chose this as a cheaper option, funny enough VIP CHALETS have rooms in this building, i,m very fussy and would recommend it, i,m going back in april, but its already booked up, i ,m not surprised
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know of a chalet that could potentially satisfy the mix of catered/self-catered/non-catered (think it's effectively self-/non-catered but can get some days catered if you wish). But it's in Les Gets, and it's not near the lifts, and afaik they no longer do the transfers nor the mini-bus to lifts, although the bus stop is 100m down the lane. Don't know any other French resorts, so can't help there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
George06, can't help with a resort but you have been WELL AND TRULY lumbered! What a fussy group!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Easy - book somewhere nice for you and the wife. Give the rest of them the details, and say that you hope to see them there.

Life is too short.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tell me about it, however I will not be beaten!! NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd tell the group to sling their hook. Ridiculous.

Somebody has to compromise - find a very cheap catered deal, or convince the catered guys that they are ok with SC.

I'd also tell the girls that someone has got to share with the bloke, otherwise you are looking at single supplements etc and hard to find chalet combinations.

I don't think I could go on holiday with anyone that inflexible...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium, why should he/she have to share with a girl/guy if he/she isn't comfortable with it. We don't even know if they know each other that well, or the age difference, etc etc.

Agree they're a fussy lot though.

George06, how about a self-catering apartment with an optional catering service?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
George06, I can recommend one place that just misses maybe one and a half ticks? Madeye-Smiley Half a tick only on accommodation close to ski lift BUT very only 10 mins by skibus or chalet bus. Main tick missing is the nightlife which is very quiet so maybe you could suggest they make their own. Otherwise, this place is a gem.....

http://www.chalet-la-giettaz.com/

Stayed there last March with my group and going back again this season. Great for families too. Great compromise between catered and self-catered, as fresh croissants delivered and meals available in the bar if you don't fancy cooking. Also local restaurants will deliver I believe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In my opinion, Flaine (Grand Massif) is under rated. It ticks all the boxes you've stipulated. Not as big as other resorts with regard to the night life element, but there are a few places.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try Saint Gervais-Les Bains

1 hour from Geneva Airport, and large linked area with Megeve. Lots of varied pisted skiing and lots of off-piste too.

You will find a smattering of English run chalets there, that are not too expensive and also apartments.

cheers.
Andrew
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's the link: http://www.saintgervais.com/en/discover-saint-gervais/ski-area.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love Saint Gervais - but think it might fall down on the "reasonable nightlife"
ski holidays
Annie, so I think wouls Serre Che, although Villeneuve is livelier
latest report
Les Arcs or La Plagne seems like an obvious solution
ski holidays
We're in La Plagne and we can tick all of the boxes apart from the self catered if that helps?

We've got single rooms with no supplement, so you can book 2 singles, a twin and a double. We're ski in ski out and the resort is great for beginners (excellent ski school) and experts alike. The chalet is a large shared chalet so plenty of folks around with a free bar. The resort isn't huge but there are a couple of good bars and a club a short (free) bus ride away.

Get in touch if we can help . . .
ski holidays
livelier? La Plagne? I say not.
snow conditions
Chamonix? The nervous beginner can do les Houches or Le Tour and there's some good tuition available. As lively as you like.

Surely what you want is a really good apartment with plenty of nearby restaurants. some can stay in and cook, others can go out.

does it have to be France? Early March is peak French holidays, so unless you positively revel in crowded slopes, either go somewhere else or go another time.
latest report
I have just booked Meribel for a mixed group of 8 (I also do this every year), in Feb 2012, catered - try this co: http://www.skibasics.co.uk/

First time with them so cannot comment yet, but price is v good catered, and we've booked the snowtrain from London to Moutier, £149 pp return, this place do transfers for £20pp.

The chalets and service all look pretty good, and I think Meribel looks like a good mixed group resort, varied terrain and good nightlife.

Have also done Val and would highly recommend - lots of well priced Chalet hols there too - agree with what others have said re catered vs self - really need to convince the group one way or another wink
latest report
Another vote for Flaine, although the nightlife might be a bit quiet, certainly livlier than Les Gets. How about La Tania, ? lots of catered / S-C options, but return runs could be too steep. Les 2 Alpes would be top of my list, and they will just have to lump the 5 minute walk to the lifts, and the 2 hours on a good day transfer, and getting a lift back down to the resort for the timid skier. It might be easier to change your friends or go narrowboating instead Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Thanks for all your suggestions, gives me a few more things to look into.
snow report
You seem to be making a rod for your own back. Just book a nice chalet as they have 6 nights catering which means one night out & about. They normally have free wine so helps keep drinking costs down also you can buy beers etc at the supermarket quite cheaply.

If you have to book a single room just divide the supplement among you all & say nothing. They will be none the wiser!!!

I have done a party of 20+ for over 15yrs, always in hotels & from 6 airports & it not that difficult. You just have to "TELL" them whats happening & if they don't like it they can organise the holiday themselves.

Basically don't give them too many/any choices. It will only confuse them!!!!!!!!

Resorts Alpe D Huez, Avoriaz, Flaine La Cluzaz, La Rossiere, Risoul / Vars, Serre Chev, St Sorlin d Arves, Valloire, Val Morel.

Any of them will suit.

Austria may suit you better for night life you know??

Just get the deposits & book it. Them tell them where they are going.
ski holidays
alisterhod, welcome to snowHead snowHead
Quote:

Austria may suit you better for night life you know??

but moaning about the French is so much more satisfying...
snow report
alisterhod, agreed. My trips run like this:

" we will be going on X date, you will share with whoever I put you with and I need £1k by friday"

Best trips ever.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
alisterhod, agreed. My trips run like this:

" we will be going on X date, you will share with whoever I put you with and I need £1k by friday"

Best trips ever.

You are Chris Reynard and I claim my £5 (with little expectation of getting it).
snow report
fatbob, CR can't hold a candle to me! Last year I demanded £300 extra each and changed the flights at the last minute!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
George06,

is Snowhead queen boudica [ in your group? Laughing
snow conditions
Arctic Roll, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
alisterhod, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Nice first contribution.
snow conditions
Breaking news: Ski World are running flexible catering services next season. Should suit your group down to the ground.

Powder White have ran a flexi-catering system for ages and would also suit your requirements.

Resorts to suit:

Courch 15 or 16 - Check out SW's Perdrix Blanches in 15. Used to be run by Super Travel and it's on at introductory prices at mo. Bargain. Boozing in 16 and 18 within easy striking distance.
Val D - Both PW and SW have big programmes here. Chalet Iseran a good shout, sleeps 8/10 cos it has a small bunk room, may get round your odd group breakdown.
Alpe d'Huez: New chalet on market called Artemis.

Bosh.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy