Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave / Deux Alpes next season

kanobi
kanobi
Hi, with thanks to everyone who has given me some info on this on an associated thread...
I'm planning on heading out this way for next season in my trusty VW Transporter/campervan. Heading out mid to late November to try and get a bit of late season biking in and some rock climbing if the weather will let me. Once the snow's arrived though, I'm going to split my time between La Grave and Les Duex Alpes. Mainly interested in getting as much freeriding done as possible and some ice climbing when the snow's not so great and / or the weather's crap!
Was just after any info / advice / general tips that anyone may have and also, let me know if you fancy getting out.
One specific question was whether anyone knew of any places that I might pick up a bit of bar work, or anything similar (transfer driving etc). Have just about enough money (with the credit card!) to sustain myself for the season but a bit of bank rolling would be helpful and a good way to meet people. Would only be after something a day or two a week and could be highly flexible. No real experience (though I've pulled the odd pint) but I am reliable!
I'm a pretty experienced skier (every year since I was 5, for the last 25 years) and have a good amount of alpine climbing / mountaineering experience, so I know my way round a glacier. I've got into touring in the last few years but I am relatively new to freeriding and want to put a stop to that!
Appreciate that this post is a little keen seeing that the season's still some way off but I'm currently sat at home with a broken leg so thought I'd put the time to good use!
Cheers, Kanobi.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you planning on living in your van? If so you'll have plenty of company in la grave. There is always a handful of vans parked up for the season. There are plenty of other ski bum/climber types around La Grave in winter which you'd quickly meet too.

I spent a season in Les Deux Alpes and skied la grave as much as possible but if I were to do it again I'd definitely stay in La Grave. The link from LDA to la grave over the top is a pain and we drove round most of the time in the end. There are not many jobs going in la Grave as its so small so your unlikely to pick much work up there. You could try somewhere like the skier's lodge though. There were plenty of jobs going in LDA on a fairly casual basis when I was there but I say put up with being skint and ski more!
snow report
 kanobi
kanobi
Yeah, the plan is to live in the van. I'm getting it fully kitted out for the winter now - insulated, heater etc. Will be cosy but hopefully fun! Also means I can get to other parts of the Alps for a bit.
I want to spend as much time in La Grave as possible really - the possibilities look endless - and from what you say, there'll be people around to hook up with and generally have a laugh with.
Had a good look through Swirly's thread which got me even more excited! Can I ask a quick question... for La Voute, what length ropes do you need for the ab in? Can you do it on one 50 metre, or do you need two, or maybe a 60 metre? Need to sort my ropes out ideally before I head out so would just be helpful to know.
And I'm inclined to agree with you re the work thing - gets in the way of skiing a bit too much doesn't it! I might just wait and see... if I'm completely skint then maybe I can try finding something then!
Thanks for the info.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kanobi, my buddy who did a few seasons there generally skied with a thin static 50m rope. YMMV
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Can I ask a quick question... for La Voute, what length ropes do you need for the ab in? Can you do it on one 50 metre, or do you need two, or maybe a 60 metre?

It depends on conditions but 50m is too short. 60m was just enough when we did it as conditions were good but it was a faff getting your gear back on at the bottom as your still on a steep slope. I think 2x50m is recommended in the guidebook. Best to go with someone who knows the score. Not a descent to do the route finding yourself. The guide stationed at the bottom will be able to tell you what the conditions are like.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

or La Voute, what length ropes do you need for the ab in? Can you do it on one 50 metre, or do you need two, or maybe a 60 metre? Need to sort my ropes out ideally before I head out so would just be helpful to know.

We did it with 2x 30m, they just reached and a few extra m would have been helpful: we ended the ab on the snowcone at the base of the cliff which can be pretty steep and hard. For Maisoneuve IIRC you need 2 x 50 m ropes but skiing with a 50 m rope on days you don't need one that long is a ballache.

Have just got back from cycling in the area. One day I rode past the bottom of Mines and looked up thinking how the heck did we ski that? The bottom looked completely impassable despite knowing where the exit couloir is. The hike out looked easier in summer though Laughing

Quote:

but I say put up with being skint and ski more!

For sure: working, even one day a week, can completely screw with your skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly wrote:
For sure: working, even one day a week, can completely screw with your skiing.

this is signature-worthy Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, feel free to use it, after-all I stole one of yours.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy