Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the best snowsports camera?

Poster: A snowHead
I am interested to see what the consensus is on the best snowsports camera, GoPro, Contour, Drift, Replay, Oregon Scientific

Why?

Please complete this survey to help us with a new camera project,

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dF9iU3JDM01TUF80WWRRaDJLcTYyS3c6MA

Thanks

Mossy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there a fee?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mossy, i have the drift and so do 2 of my ski mates. did loads of research and VOILA . . . it may be worth paying the extra for the HD! i have now fixed the bracket to my helmet to prevent the wobble on my goggle strap.

hope this helps
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go Pro HD, but I find the footage gives viewers no idea of speed or gradient of slope. So next season I will going new school old school and with a passing nod to Glen Plake i will be sporting one of these.

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GoPro seem to produce the best quality video, but they're so deviant-teletubby-esque... Will be interesting to see the new Contour+, which looks a bit more James Bond, but apparently will cost £500... What with the affiliate scheme and the strength of the dollar, I think I'll be getting a GoPro in September (the waterproof case for kayaking is a plus that's hard to overlook there too).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, Contour also do a waterproof IIRC.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always find it funny how skiers complain about how a go pro looks. They look like tw@ts anyway - a small plastic box on the noggin makes no difference.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Go-Pro is useless for skiing. Contantly overexposed. Response from Go-Pro was:

"What were the shooting conditions that you were in?

Unfortunately the camera is not able to expose everything in the frame at the same time when there is a lot of light in one area of the frame. If you are using the camera on a very bright day, after several bright days, the reflection off the snow and ice can cause the sensor to be overloaded and cause overexposure in your shot. The sensor in the GoPro is set for middle ranges of outdoor lighting conditions, and adjusts towards the ends of the spectrum.

You may be able to get a slightly better exposure by adjusting the angle of the camera relative to the horizon, as well as testing between the two metering modes, "Cnt" and "SPt". Let us know how things go."
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HarryOK, I've also heard that about the GoPro, although I think it affects all helmet cameras. I have the ContourHD and it also suffered from the same over-exposed problem when filming in bright sunlight. For the Contour there is an easy solution: buy their Lens Kit (about £20) which adds a filter thread to the front of the lens barrel and use either a Circular Polarising or Neutral Density filter (about £10). Solves the problem completely.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hang11 wrote:
I always find it funny how skiers complain about how a go pro looks. They look like tw@ts anyway - a small plastic box on the noggin makes no difference.

The only thing more stupid is slowboarders with their Go Pro on a half ski pole filming themselves as they shuffle along a flat. It has to be said I think the Go Pro look only works if you are clearly a bit of a rockstar, looking like a teletubbie while in the Brit tuck adds to the absurdity of the situation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
clarky999, Contour also do a waterproof IIRC.

They do, but it's another £40 on top. I would have still gone with the Contour, but (apart from the Contour+) it doesn't have the 170 degree wide angle lens of the GoPro (at least, that's what I've understood form the interwebz).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, the ContourHD has a 135º view when filming in 720p and 110º when in 1080p mode. I've found 135º plenty wide enough for skiing. The GoPro fails badly for skiing IMO because of the over-exposure issue, which you can't correct by adding filters to the lens.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Cheers, things to think about and decisions to be made then...

Although that tendency to overexpose is likely to be a good thing when kayaking (which in Scotland typically means in a dark gorge in the rain in midwinter...)....

Will have to see what the Contour affiliate thing comes back, if it's as generous as GoPro's the Contour+ could still be an option...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, the Contour has software (you run on a computer) where you can increase or decrease exposure settings (I assume the GoPro has a similar ability) so on overcast days there didn't seem to be a problem with getting decent video footage (although I confess I've never been in a dark gorge in Scotland). It was only very bright seeing conditions that I had trouble with.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the info!
snow report
If you have trouble with a go pro overexposing, it's very easy to stick a ND filter over the lens.

Never had any issue with mine though.
ski holidays
hang11, does it have a filter thread on the lens (or the case)?
ski holidays
No, but theres this stuff called blu tack....

Not trying to be sarcastic, I use it all the time to put filters on my lenses.

But there's a lot of info here about putting filters on Gopros

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/stickie-gopro-with-polarizer-t414.html
snow conditions
hang11, OK, thanks. Thought I'd missed something when looking at the GoPros.
snow report
 jonny18
jonny18
Hey Guys,

I just bought a Go Pro HD2 and it overexposes snow pretty bad.
I was looking around for a fix and found these polarization filters:
www.goprolens.com Has anyone tried these? Or anything like them?

Thanks!
snow report
yep, got a couple of different filters, polarising and nd. But before you go down that route what setting do you have the exposure on?
snow conditions
They're all gash and produce incredible amounts of incredibly dull footage that you will never actually watch.

Sorry, did I allow personal prejudice to sneak out there? Embarassed

If you want to get good video footage, you need to go up the hill with the sole purpose of shooting some video, then plan the shots in some detail. This will generally mean the cameraman's run (at least) is spoiled by having to divert somewhere to get a good angle. All of this tends to somewhat get in the way of a fun day's skiing/snowboarding. A bling camera will obviously produce the best results, but you can get decent video from a basic camera if the plan the angles well and think about the light.
ski holidays
jonny18 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I just bought a Go Pro HD2 and it overexposes snow pretty bad.
I was looking around for a fix and found these polarization filters:
www.goprolens.com Has anyone tried these? Or anything like them?

Thanks!

Interesting... You would have thought they would have fixed that. Is it worth than the original? Have a video?
latest report
WARNING:- The use of anything with the name "Hero" will in fact make you think you are better than you are and make you push the limits.

See.
snow conditions
jonny18, as it was your first post and it was a direct link to another site i think therefore it needs the gods to wipe your account.

admin do your worst.....,..
snow report
ansta1, he mis-spelled his name. He's really Jeff at goprolens.com. You'd have thought he would have tried his own product Puzzled
ski holidays
Yoda, i am sure he hasnt. i personally find the gp2 exposes pretty well. however as there isnt much snow for me to test them on right now i will get back to you n that. point.

i ntend to do a side by side comparison of the gp1 and gp2 in a few weeks time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy