Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Dont know anything about the place nor the 3V either. Seen some pretty good deals just wanted to know if the end of January is a good and safe time to go? Will it be busy? Is it a good cheap alternative to the other 3V resorts? Can all the 3V be accessed from here etc? This is where i have seen a good deal for, has any Snowheads been? Tripadvisor rates it as the second best hotel in Les Menuires. Cheers.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g562743-d289834-Reviews-Hotel_les_Bruyeres-Les_Menuires_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, Access to the 3V is no problem from there and end of January shouldn't be a problem. The resort itself won't win any awards for beauty but if it's just a place to stay to ski the 3V's and you get a good deal, you won't be disappointed. There's some great skiing around Les Menuires too with direct access to La Masse.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are only two hotels!!!

Joking, skiing is good and easy to access , nightlife not big , all access to 3 valleys, and Val thorens, January should be good.

Is this with OH? As skiing might be better suited to intermediate, not beginner.

Nice and high resort , but as already pointed out , it's ugly. Great skiing to be had , especially if a dump.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geepee, seen a 7 night deal in the hotel mentioned, flights, transfer and accommodation. Breakfast and evening meals included for £700 each. Always Wanted to go to 3V but found it expensive, so Les Menuires looks like a great choice. Is there any other resorts to consider linked to the 3V which offer good access etc?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder,

End of January should be safe most places including Les Menuires. Cheaper than elsewhere in 3V but this does not mean cheap. Main down side is that it is ugly and even the scenery by alpine standards is pretty dull, also no tree skiing in this valley if the weather is bad. Up side is you have access to the whole 3v which is an impressive area.

If from memory you are trying to get someone into skiing this is not really a resort I would choose as it lacks any real charm and its atractions are mainly apparent to the skier who likes to travel a distance from base.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, Cheers. She would come but she wouldn't ski. Is there stuff to do for non skiers? If not what other resorts are linked to 3V for a non skier?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Menuires is between Meribel and Val Thoren. 3V is fully linked so you can go everywhere from Les Menuires which is the same valley as St Martin de Belleville and Val Thoren.

January should be OK. Feb is the month to be avoided.

If you want to see a lot of chairlifts in close proximity with each other Les Menuires is the place!

3V has 3 valleys of Curchevel, Meribel and Les Menuires/Val Thoren so you can cover 2 of the 3 valleys quite well by staying in Les Menuires. What will be difficult for you is to reach the far end of Courchevel, say 1300 or 1650.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 25-07-11 0:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, Personally I would not go near 3v with a non skier, the skiing is great but the resorts that I have stayed in are expensive and dull. I have only travelled through Les Menires rather than stayed in it so cannot specifically say but whilst it is cheaper it appears even less attractive than the others.
Seriously the huge atraction of the 3v is not so much the quality of the skiing as the sheer quantity. If you are having to travel back to meet the non skiing other half you negate its best point for the skier. Whilst the non skier gets no benefit.
I cannot really recommend where to go as it depends what the non skier wants to do beautiful scenery, winter walks, cosy alpine charm, town culture etc. You can get some of these in some resorts but in all honesty little in the 3v.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For non skiers Les Menuires has good and bad points.

The good point is Les Menuires itself is a decent centre with fair bit of shops surrounded by a small town or village of its own so something to do in the evening. It has gondolas on both sides of the valley with restaurants at the top of the gondola stations so meeting a non skier there should be ideal. One of the gondola lift to the Bettex side is a coffee cup ride. It is 3 to 5 open top half cylinders (like coffee cups) stringed together and they should be fun to ride on with non skiers.

The bad point about Les Menuires is poor access to Meribel and Courcehevel by non skier. If you manage from Les Menuires to get to the top of 3 Marches (one of the 5 access points to Meribel) you can ride gondolas and cable cars all the way (Gondola Plattiers, Gondolas Pas du Lac, Cable car Salire and the Gondolas Verdons) first to Meribel and then Courchevel 1850 where all the famous shops situate. The problem is 3 Marches can only be accessed by two chairlifts and you need to ski a short blue run to catch the second one. One the return again skiing by a blue run back to Les Menuire and that will be out of the question for a non skier. Mind you my piste map dates back to 2005 and there is no Gondola link from 3 Marches back to Les Menuires. 3V does modernise the lifts regularly so do check with the current situation.

Having said above I believe you can catch the local buses from Les Menuire to Meribel and then Courchevel. The bus is something you should remember if you miss the last lift from one valley back to another. Carrying enough fund for the taxi ride is also recommended.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't take a non skier to Les Menuires. The shops are really only for basic stuff (had more trouble than usual picking up small gifts for my wife and my mum) and the whole place is really ugly (I'd rate it even worse than La plagne and Les Arcs)
The only pluus point for a non skier could be the nice pool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Take a look at La Tania which lies between Meribel and Courchevel if you are going with a non-skiier- La Tania is generally far better value. Access to both Meribel and Courchevel is good.

Bus ride from Les Menuires to Meribel or Courchevel would involve going down to Moutiers (c. 40 mins) then back up to either Meribel or Courchevel (at least another 30 mins).

St Martin de Belleville is further down the same valley as Val Thorens and Les Menuires (all three are in the Belleville valley and quite a long trip by road to any other part of the 3 Valleys), it's at about 1400m and is far more charming than Les Menuires! That said for a keen skiier Les Menuires is good.

You could also consider Brides les Bains. No ski to door (in realistic terms although there are itineraries that are sometimes skiable)- it links straight up into Meribel la Chaudanne via the Olympic gondola. Again this is a (relatively) inexpensive way of skiing the 3 Valleys. Not sure what non-skiier activities are like in Brides but it was an old spa town so should have pools and nice hotels (probably somewhat faded!!).

For £700ph you should have a reasonable choice of chalets in Meribel and Courchevel 1650/1550 (not 1850!) especially in the January low season- admittedly hotels may be a bit more.

Good luck
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for the info guys. Anna is more than happy to just chill in the hotel with a book etc. She loves doing nothing (not in a nasty way lol) but meeting up for lunch could be a good idea so the 2 gondolas that saikee, mentioned is a good option. The fewer the shops the better, less money to spend!!! If Les Menuires really is as horrible looking as you are all saying i think i will avoid to be honest. Like Chris Angus, said, for £700pppw in January im sure that i could find something more suitable for a non skier and with a little more to do and also some "village charm". I really want to go to the 3V because of the sheer size of the place. Have skied the PDS for many years and i need to more on but i always find that i go back!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd second La Tania. Far prettier than Les Manures. Access is fantatsic to both the main Courchevel runs & Meribel off two lifts. The Montana (hotel) is right on the piste and has a small pool which your OH may like. It's also on a direct bus to Le Praz, Courchevel 1550, 1650 & 1850 giving your OH many options for wandering round the shops or meeting you for lunch.

I've stayed in both and would not return to Les Menuires but would to La Tania in a flash. In fact wouldn't stay anywhere else for the 3V which is an awesome ski area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, Les Menuires is far nicer from inside looking out than outside skiing past. Lift connections good, lovely walking up an unspoiled valley opposite the bottom station, good bus connections to Val Thorens and St Martin de Belleville. Provided your hotel ticks the box then is not a bad call for the non skier. I remember a concert in the church too when we were there. Having said that your OH would probably only want to visit there the once...
Personally I would go to Les M rather than La Tania as a non skier, but nightlife doesn't matter to me.

Had you though about Champoluc in Italy as a more charming alternative?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The best bit of Les Menuires: http://www.hotel-ours-blanc.com/

Take her there. You'll be happy. She'll be very happy. Best restaurant in the 3Vs, hotel to match.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, Personally I think the slopes around Courcheval are some of the best beginner slopes out there, it seems a shame to take her to one of the best ski resorts around and not have her ski at all!
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
The best bit of Les Menuires: http://www.hotel-ours-blanc.com/

Take her there. You'll be happy. She'll be very happy. Best restaurant in the 3Vs, hotel to match.

Actually La Bouitte just outside St Martin de Belleville is supposed to be the best restaurant (with 2 Michelin stars) but is very expensive. There are several others with one star in the 3 valleys - most in Courchevel I think, which is reputed to be the gastronomic capital of skiing. I'm sure the Ours Blanc is great though.
ski holidays
snowball, But do they have a wondeful terrace to eat on like L'Ours Blanc?

Agreed, it's the best lunch stop in the 3V
latest report
La Ferme up in Reberty do a pretty good lunch as well.
ski holidays
kitenski, But is it easy for a beginner skier to get from Les Menuires to these slopes you mention in Courchevel or would we have to stay there?
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, Can be done but is quite convoluted , coming up via col dela loze.

There are few blues and greens she could try in Les menuires, have a look at the piste map.

She could get away with a st Martin pass and you could upgrade for a couple of days.
snow conditions
Better to stay in Courchevel 1850 than Les Manures, if possible.
ski holidays
Les Bruyeres where your proposed hotel is a small centre just over half a mile away from the main Les Menuires resort and is fine. There are several restaurants, a nightclub which also has an early evening happy two hours where its 3.2 euros a pint(Leeberty bar). The architecture in Les Menuires Centre is not the best but Les Bruyeres is just over half a mile away and better. There are tradditional chalets being built all the time and the hamlet of reberty 2000 just above Les Bruyeres is a good example of the changes taking place.
Skiing from Bruyeres is very straightford either using the Bruyeres Cable car or a short ski down to the Doron Chairlift into the main resort where the Roc de 3 marches cable car takes you in the direction of St Martin or back to les Menuires. No shortage of blue runs. For a good skier then the Les Bruyeres cable car leads direct to Val Thorens and as said many links to the other 3 V resorts.
On Wednesdays there is a free bus service for pedestrians to Val Thorens and St Martin de Belleville although if you want to travel on the bus other days then its about 5 euro. There is also a regular bus service from Les Menuires Centre to Moutiers at the bottom of the mountain where there are some supermarkets and quite a few shops, 18 euros return. On Wednesday evenings there is usually something on at the main hall in Les Menuires. The swimming pool mentioned by your hotel is outdoor heated and ok and opens from about 4pm or earlier on whiteout days. The main sports centre is in Les Menuires and has many facilities and a larger pool. There is resort wifi for a charge, many hotels have it free as do several bars, including Le Mousse in Les Menuires which also has happy hours.
There are many restaurants accross the area but I won't enter the discussions as to which are the best.
The end of January is fairly quiet and generally no queues with the holidays not starting until 11 February. Snow has allways been ok at this time and you can get weeks of clear blue sky at this time of year albeit cold but no promises.
Overall Les Menuires is cheaper and a good base for the 3 Vallees with excellent piste grooming. I like it but I would say that as I am there for most of the season. Hope this helps your choice.
ski holidays
johnlspencer, Thanks for the info.
snow conditions
Just to chuck my 2p in:

Like the good info from johnlspencer. From memory, the Bruyeres was totally refurbished about 3 years ago and the rooms sold off on leaseback so it should be well run and maintained. The Ours Blanc has a very loyal following and would probably be in your budget but I don't think you'll get a package - it'll have to be independent travel. I've never eaten there of an evening but for me the Ferme lightningdan, is the best lunch stop in the 3v. For snowball, I think people were recommending the best value/quality/ambience restaurant combination as opposed to the absolute best cuisine. I can't justify €2,000 for lunch (or dinner for that matter!)

Does your OH have any skiing experience? For me, Meribel Altiport, Courchevel 1850 Jardin (you don't have to stay in 1850, you could stay in any Courchevel resort and use the bus to get there) and Val Thorens have the most user friendly beginner areas but LM is ok. It's not realistic to take a beginner to another valley.

La Tania is good; I own a leaseback apartment there but if I was buying freehold I would have gone to LM as it's better value. LT is by far the cheapest resort at that end of the 3v - you can drink for €3.50 most of the time as the bars tend to rotate their happy hour times and there's plenty to do in Courchevel for a non skier on the free bus service. Both hotels mentioned in LM are better than the Montana in LT though. Meribel is probably the prettiest village but I'm not sure you'd get a nice hotel in your budget - but worth a look. You'd easily get a good chalet at that price in January though.

A couple of other points:
No-one's mentioned demographics; IME the Menuires valley (LM and St Martin) is the most French area of the 3v (which may be good or bad depending on your perspective), Meribel and LT are 90% English, Courchevel 1850 has a lot of Russians (especially in early/mid January) and VT attracts Dutch and Scandinavians. All generalisations I know but that's my view.

If your username's accurate, the most accessible powder in January is definitely at the LM/VT end of the 3v. Mont Vallon (Meribel Mottaret), La Masse (LM), all of VT and the 4th valley (Orelle) are as little as 2 lifts away.

I've done seasons in Meribel and LT as a TO ski guide and at least another cumulative season in the rest of the 3v punter skiing so let me know if you'd like any other info. I'm often at my flat in January; if our times cross over I'd be happy to show you around if you want.
ski holidays
Raceplate, Wow thanks for all the info. She has limited experience but will ski for 3 hours then get bored. Her knee also gives her issues which mean we can't go to far (a situation I know all to well after we stayed in Chatel, skied over to morzine and her knee blew up the size of a watermelon. I had to ski back on my own which was fast skiing lol, then get the car and drive all the way to Morzine and back!) as long as there is a few nice shops, WIFI, a pool/spa/sauna, and the chance to meet up with me for lunch then that will do for her. She loves siting back and reading a book. If you are there when I am then meeting up would be great.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, tough call but I think I'd stick with LM. C1850 and Meribel offer more interesting shops but you're unlikely to match the facilities/quality and price of either the Bruyeres or the Ours Blanc hotels at the Courchevel end of the valleys.

I had another thought too - I'm assuming that you ski with your OH in the morning, have lunch and then do your own thing. That being the case you can stick with a Menuires valley pass (which still gives loads for her to ski - take her to St Martin, that's pretty) and you'll have rapid access to VT and La Masse for advanced on/off piste skiing in the afternoon. The great benefit of this is that you can ignore lift closing times in VT or La Masse (which are half an hour earlier in January than spring) because there is a Boulevard from VT to LM that links to the yoghurt pots back to Bruyeres/Reberty; therefore you can always ski/crawl home (even if you've been to the Folie Douce Very Happy ).
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, sounds like the knee needs looking at by a specialist and/or physio IMHO...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, She is a nurse and has been to see a doctor. They have advised her to use the cycling machine before we go skiing so that's what she will do to get the knee used to movements similar to skiing. After a few hours she would rather go back anyway and relax, which leaves the afternoons to me to go off and ski elsewhere.

Raceplate, Sounds good!!!
snow report
Are there hotels in St Martin at a reasonable price- if so that may well suit Rick well. (La Bouitte looks good but not sure 'reasonable price' would apply). I have tended to stay at the other end of the 3Vs but am a big fan of the skiing around LM (especially La Masse) and above St Martin. St Martin has the charm factor and avoids some of the downsides of Courchevel/Meribel. Avoid Courchevel 1850- it's over-priced and over-hyped IMHO. The lower bits of Courchevel are far better in every way- 1550 especially has a gondola straight into 1850 and will be at least 30% less pricey.

VT can be perishingly cold in January.... Shocked

Raceplate, I agree with your demographic generalisations!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, If it is ballooning up as much as you say, how will 'a bit of cycling' help???
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, If it is ballooning up as much as you say, how will 'a bit of cycling' help???

The doctor said to get the knee's moving so it's not to much to soon when hitting the slopes. Can someone tell me how to pronounce Les Menuires please. Is it "lay Menyours?" Puzzled
ski holidays
It is pronounced more like lay menweir, no doubt others will correct me.

The Les Menuires 2011/12 brochure has today been released on line on the les Menuires site and includes lift pass prices etc. A useful guide to whats available. There are three sections for download.

http://en.lesmenuires.com/winter/brochures-157.htm
snow conditions
johnlspencer, Cheers. It is a strange word to pronounce!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy