Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuille -- Planibel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

after thoughts on La Thuille, seems alot of reds on the piste map and we are a mixed ability group, although our experiences of other Italian resorts is that most of the time reds on the map would be blues anywhere else! is this also the case with La Thuille?
Also can anybody tell me about the Planibel? probably go for hotel instead of apartments though.... thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cbowls30, I went to La Thuile in March 2010. The skiing is generally very easy, the blues are rather flat in places, no good to snowboarders and people who don't like poling, and the reds are mostly equivalent to blues elsewhere with just a couple of exceptions. Even the blacks are mostly red with the exception of the very steep black at the bottom in front of the Planibel complex. It's generally a windy resort, and was extremely cold the week I was there. The link to La Rosière can get closed due to high winds and the journey back from La Ros involves possibly the two longest button lifts ever. I far preferred the skiing on the La Thuile side, the slopes were groomed and signposted better, far emptier and generally more varied. There are some great mountain huts including a very wacky hippy hut on one of the red pistes.

It's a very quiet resort both on and off the slopes. The village centre is much nicer than the Planibel complex, but quite a walk from the slopes (however there are good equipment lockers at the lift base station). Personally I'd much rather stay in one of the village hotels for a better atmosphere. The Planibel is a large soulless complex similar to the sort of thing you'd find in a purpose-built French resort. It's also the most expensive hotel in the resort. However, if you like to be right next to the lifts and slopes, then it's the place to be. It has its own shop and a couple of bars but again, I much preferred the shops and bars in the village.

I enjoyed La Thuile, very friendly locals, pretty village and a good sized ski area. I'm not sure I'd hurry back, there wasn't really anything there that you can't find elsewhere. I'd imagine it to be a good resort for families and people limited to school holidays as it apparently never gets horrendously busy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cbowls30, Yes most of the reds are very similar to the blues esp on the front side where the gondoala goes up to, but some the the blacks down into the village are fun, they groom everything, rather a lack of bumps. Over the back is more interesting where the reds are reds. Never queue for a lift, ever! except a little on saturdays and sundays., on saturday go to La Rosiere as its empty then. Planibel hotel is rather souless in a corporate sort of way, we have only every stayed in the apartments, Monte Bianco ones are the best, cooking facilities are a bit sparse, so just go out to restaurants. Apartments are quite large. There are other better hotels, but I am sure others will mention them.

Whoops crossed over with someone else, but will leave what i wrote as was...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spent the last season in La Ros/La Thuile and over all the conditions (due to the crappy weather last season) on the Thuile side were better than La Ros but with the Col San Barnardo coming out on top.
I dont know to much about the village of la Thuile except for the fact that you have to visit La Rascard It's the best restaurant in the area.
There is plenty of good skiing for all in a mixed group over a week's worth of skiing.

The area grew on me so much that I am going back again for another season.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cbowls30, I think most parts of the ski area have been covered above.

As for the Planibel, it's a fantastic location right next to the slopes. It just depends what you're after in terms of night life, because there really is very, very little going on. There is a hotel bar and, outside, only 1 or 2 other bars. 1 is underground and a bit like a Northern working men's club, so we only went there once! The other was a bar/restaurant, we went there for beers after hitting the slopes but it was always quite quiet. We had a group of 8, with 1 infant, so we made use of the apartments and ate in every night; the supermarket is good, and there's an excellent butcher in the complex. Nightlife was pretty much dead, but if you're just there for skiing and not doing too much in the evening it's ok.

The village is definitely a lot nicer, but you are talking about a 10 or 15 minute walk up to the slopes in the morning.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to La Thuile 4 or 5 times now. Other than sheer convenience, I was utterly underwhelmed by the Planibel. I'd warmly recommend the Du Glacier - a lovely 3 star, about a 5 minute walk to the slopes.

People are right, the nightlife is very quiet - 2 or 3 nice bars, but a good choice of lovely restaurants.

I think the skiing there is fantastic, the only down side is it can be windy and bitterly cold.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy