Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to stop edges rusting

Poster: A snowHead
Don't have this problem when skis are left in the warm ski room overnight and dry off, or if they're left outside overnight in the cold. But if my skis go straight from the snow into a bag the edges are rusty within a couple of hours. I know this is caused by the warm and wet, so I try to dry them thoroughly before putting them in the bag. But however hard you try sometimes you miss a bit, or there's a bit of water in the bag or hiding somewhere on your poles... So frustrating!

Does anyone have any tips to stop this happening!

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A spray on wax like the toko swing wax is very effective, also worth a try would be a very little vegtable or mineral light oil on a cloth just run over the edges, it should provide enough protection for you to get them home and properly dried off
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think we've covered this before but...

1. Don't leave your skis in the bag.
2. If you're finished skiing for the season, when you put them in for a service, ask them to put a storage wax on them, or just not to scrape the wax off the edges.
(or, is you've already had the wax scraped, then use some vaseline, or similar petroleum based jelly, and rub a little onto the edges)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rub a candle on the edges (I always take a handful of tea-lights on hol) before you stuff 'em in the bag for the trip back
NB. wear gloves when doing it rolling eyes

for long term storage use www.vp90.com sachet or supershield or as Fox says have them serviced (ask to have the wax cover the side of the edge) and don't scrape.

Though I've found a candle works just as well to stop the rusting
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

use some vaseline, or similar petroleum based jelly, and rub a little onto the edges)

Fox, I read this year that petroleum based products are bad for the bases, so at the risk of not being absolutely precise with the goo, I've gone over to the wax rub. Apparently the goo soaks into the bases where it touches and stops the next wax being absorbed-allegedly snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny, that's kinda true, but if you have wax on your bases, then they should be covered. (also, most wax is a petroleum based product!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys. I do put a storage wax on and cover the edges for long term storage, but that's not when it's a problem. It's more if I've driven to ski somwhere - like the snowdome or glenshee and the have to put them in the bag for the trip home. And will probably want to use them again a week later.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I said in the first point, make sure you don't leave them in the bag.
As soon as you get home, take them out, and stand them up against a wall. Turn them upside down the next day. This will mean that any water should have dripped off the bindings as well.

If they are left in a bag for more than a few hours, the moisture will cause the rust to form.

I'd also suggest that if you are carrying your skis inside the car, don't use a bag at all. This will allow the air to circulate aroud them. (If you're worried about seats getting wet, then put an old towel under the skis.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Cheers - I'll try that!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1 wrote:
Don't have this problem when skis are left in the warm ski room overnight and dry off, or if they're left outside overnight in the cold. But if my skis go straight from the snow into a bag the edges are rusty within a couple of hours. I know this is caused by the warm and wet, so I try to dry them thoroughly before putting them in the bag. But however hard you try sometimes you miss a bit, or there's a bit of water in the bag or hiding somewhere on your poles... So frustrating!

Does anyone have any tips to stop this happening!

Thanks.

You're wasting your time trying to dry them, there's enough water in frozen form in and around the binding typically rust the edges. It's not going to be a big deal, a slight oxidation on the edge isn't going to do much harm over the life of the ski. A days skiing will do more harm to the edge finish than a slight oxidation. Correct long term storage of skis is always a good idea obviously.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My ski edges are rusty every time I start a new trip. I dont bother to do anything. a couple of runs and the rust is gone !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, newspaper between the skis whilst in the bag sometimes helps
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Always wipe them down thoroughly, separate them, never leave them in the bag unless you're sure they're 100% dry. Not much to add to WTFH's and other comments, except that if they're still wet/snowy when you leave them standing rest them on some newspaper or something, and/or move them an hour later.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise,
Quote:

Correct long term storage of skis is always a good idea obviously.

Which is how-exactly? Maybe this needs to be a new thread-the definitive way to store skis out of season?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 18-08-06 13:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ise, Ok fine, but if you did'nt have the room for a dedicated ski store, how would you ensure they survived the summer, standing up or lying down. Base down or up?. I think that the bindings in your pic are released at the heel, but do you loosen the springs? Cover the skis and risk humidity or let UV light dry the bases Confused Smile
snow report
The one time in my life I had to arrange a big display of ski equipment (in the basement of the former Ski Club of GB Clubhouse in Eaton Square) it was done by mounting a 15cm shelf just above the skirting board, with a length of beading along the front edge. About 120cm up the wall there was a horizonal run of timber with pegs plugged into it at equal intervals.

This enables you to run the skis vertically. Obviously if you're going to be storing the skis wet you'd have to use waterproof material as above - ideally aluminium or galvanized. At a guess, suitable metal stuff could be obtained from shopfitting suppliers, or maybe people who supply warehouse storage materials.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 1-08-05 18:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowbunny, more to the point, most people don't need to store 10 pairs or more. I use those racks because it's a high density racking method, I can get 8 pairs into a small area. Realistcally, storing them horizontally is the best option though. I have those base up because I don't want the weight of the binding to deform the ski and lose its curve/flex.
latest report
ise,
Quote:

most people don't need to store 10 pairs or more

Well, you do seem to have exceptional needs Smile I rule out the keeping of ours in the garage, because it gets too hot in summer, but I have really nowhere to store horizontally, unless I put them in the loft on the rafters,again it gets v. hot. Currently I store upright separately, bases outwards, covered in a sheet, heels released. I still don't know if this is acceptable practice Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

Realistcally, storing them horizontally is the best option though.

I'd challenge that, 100% (no offence intended). Find me a ski shop or rental operation anywhere that stores skis horizontally. Vertical storage has to use wall space more efficiently. If you're concerned about ski warpage (there's a minor risk with a wood core ski) store the skis sole-to-sole with a block of wood at the point of maximum camber, and bind or clamp the tips and tails - that's the age-old method (dating from all-wood skis).
snow report
Quote:

My ski edges are rusty every time I start a new trip. I dont bother to do anything. a couple of runs and the rust is gone !

I'm nowhere near an expert in these matters, but I'd tend to agree with the above. When I got my own skis, I panicked when I saw the occasional spot of rust on them, but after a pre-holiday service all rust was completely gone. And I have also found that any slight rust will have gone after a few ski runs, so it doesn't concern me anymore. Having said that, any excuse for a new set of skis....
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
Vertical storage has to use wall space more efficiently.

You're not very spacially aware then. Please never park a car next to mine.
ski holidays
ise, Laughing Laughing Laughing Maybe make that spatially aware Laughing
latest report
Miaow!

Haven't got a car. Can I park my rusting

next to your car?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 1-08-05 19:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
excellent, I win, I had 20 francs on a pointless "amusing" photo
snow conditions
Yeah but you got two, so you lose the bet.
ski holidays
nope, as usual, I'm missing the logic.

But, you're right, I get nothing, turns out it was a sweep and due to an error in organisation no one checked the punts and we all guessed the same.
ski holidays
Perhaps one of you two ladies could take the time out answer my last question about summer storage Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You talking to me?

Can't think of anything useful to say, dear. Maybe move to a cooler country?
Skis aren't affected too much by hot and cold - they're pressed at quite high temperatures and used at very low temperatures. I just store them in the loft, with ski ties holding 'em together.
Modern skis are almost entirely synthetic and very resistant to warpage etc.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 1-08-05 19:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ise wrote:
nope, as usual, I'm missing the logic.

But, you're right, I get nothing, turns out it was a sweep and due to an error in organisation no one checked the punts and we all guessed the same.

lost again I think , who had two or three minutes for the "appearing on google news alert to be copied here" ? I had 5 mins, am I the closest?
snow conditions
snowbunny, if you have the space and just one or two pairs of skis, under the bed or on top of the wadrobe would be good locations (so long as your home doesn't have damp, I'd go with the laid flat, bidings open and don't worry too much about binding springs, if they're not under load conditions they should be fine, basically anywhere coolish and dry is fine, just don't seal them in a plastic bag
ski holidays
Thankyou D G Orf,
ski holidays
snowbunny, If you have the space.
snow report
comprex, Incredible, and no, I don't have the space. It seems that ise, has some catching up to do. His own 7 (ish) pairs seem positively conservative when set beside Dana's quiver.
snow conditions
snowbunny, I said it was conservative, see there's the proof. I've thrown a few pairs out, anything I'm not likely to use has gone basically. I've now only got skis I actually skied on last season, plus a pair of loaners and a pair of X screams I was going to sell.
ski holidays
ise,
Quote:

snowbunny, I said it was conservative, see there's the proof. I've thrown a few pairs out

Are you feeling unwell Shocked
ski holidays
ise,
Quote:

a pair of X screams I was going to sell.

I'm surprised that you are willing to give them house space, let alone selling them, which may make the purchaser think that they were yours Laughing After all, we have read your views about how much you like Salomons generally wink Plus the fact that you have'nt sold them, may mean that you secretly like them Laughing
latest report
snowbunny, Check your bindings handbook, they pretty much all recommend winding off the DIN tension to zero during off season storage. It’ll also give you the correct servicing and calibration intervals (Quite short periods for some makes). They usually state they’re to be kept out of direct sunlight and away from heat and in a dust free, dry environment. I think most ski bags are breathable so when everything’s dry, under the bed or in the loft is as good a place as any Little Angel
snow conditions
Masque, Ta. Have been keeping them covered, in a spare bedroom. I'm pretty sure that my binding manual did'nt mention winding off to zero. I will check. The skis have a nice thick coat of wax, but will not go the ski bag route as all our bags are plastic lined. Currently using old bed sheet to cover. I suppose that I could put them in the bed and sleep on the floor wink
ski holidays
snowbunny, It might just say 'release the tension' and with the price of some skis that's probably the safest place for them wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy