Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe or USA Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Im wondering where to go next year and cant decide on where,I really would like some recomedations off people as I might be missing some great places.The groups abillities are pretty much good intermeadiates to ski anything types we would like some partying not really important though needs to be close to slopes cant do with shuttle buses would really like to go to USA so if anyone can recomend anywhere that would be great thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Whistler.

As long as you can put up with the rain in the village.

You give no indication of budget, dates or how long a trip you are looking for, but the obvious alternatives are Utah, Colorado, or Tahoe. All will offer all the skiing you can eat, assuming you are there at a sensible time of year. Our first US trip was to Mammoth, and it was a great intro to US sking, but we've not been back (yet) as there are so many other places worth skiing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold, Ive been went for the olympics but yeah its whats bugging me really we would go back and I really do think going there has spoilt things a bit because I now compare everything to there.Been looking at Japan Neiseko it looks great skiing but only a small ish area has anyone been.RobW, as for budget £2500 all in 14 days any dates really Utah looks good Alta/snowbird just dont want to go somewhere thats okay.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
meandrew, Jackson Hole, Wyoming Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.skisafari.com/Ski-USA-Utah-and-Las-Vegas-Safari-Details.aspx is the other option with the option of sking Alta/snowbird aswell but Jackson hole is on the to do list.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meandrew,

Winter Park is well worth a trip.

We've been a couple of times and are going back again next season.

We stay at the Viking Lodge - a nice, rustic and friendly B & B. And it costs less than £20 pp per night!

If you stay at the Viking and buy a season ticket for the slopes (for $369) your fortnight's stay (including your meals out) could see you bringing back £1000 in change from your budget Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meandrew,

As Bergmeister says, Winter Park is indeed worth a trip, although for 2 weeks, you might want to visit other Colorado resorts (several within driving distance, if you rent a car).

I'd take his recommendation of the Viking Lodge with some caution: it has - shall we say - mixed reviews. Also, it's in WP town, not by the hill, so a bus ride is mandatory (although what you save on the room, you could spend on a rental car. Hell, you might be better of living in the rental car if some of the negative recommendations are accurate) Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Acacia,yeah I have read some pretty poor reports but if you go with the mindset of "digs" and not boutique wouldnt be too bad but I would really prefer to be staying slope side with no shuttle buses really thats what I loved about Whistler the fact you could walk everywhere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
meandrew, Whistler is a tough act to beat. We keep looking at elsewhere but just end up going back. Direct flights, simple transfer, huge ski area, speak english, and pedestrian only village.

I would really like to go to new places too but the transport to say Sun Peaks keeps putting us off. Will have to wait until I can go for 4 weeks on a tour.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jake43, totally agree Love everything about Whistler the skiing.the food,the partying arrgggghhh Im gonna end up in Whistler at this rate,we all said this would happen when we were there that we have been spoilt Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meandrew, Yep just done 4 years in a row when trying to go elsewhere !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've done a reasonable number of trips to Whistler and lots of other places and while Whislter has some huge + points it also has some -ves. There's no doubt to me that it's the most "European" of N American ski areas in size, diversity and apres but it comes with a cost - financial, crowds, storm lockdowns of the alpine etc. If you can narrow down specifics that you really enjoy in a ski holiday I think there are places that can often beat it in specific areas. In most of these however the primary criteria come down to weather. I've known people who've spent a week in Whistler and basically been restricted by storm above and rain below to Emerald chair (& Blackcomb equivalents). Not surprisingly they're not keen to go back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mammoth.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Telluride Very Happy

It's on my list anyway. As is to visit all of the Lake Tahoe resorts.
snow conditions
I would have thought Aspen is the place one should visit at least once in USA, Same for Whistler in Canada, St Anton in Austria, Cortina Ampezzo in Italy, Zermatt in Switzerland etc.

Don't have one for France but 3V is the world biggest linked resort so no good talking about skiing if one hasn't tried out to one's satisfaction this 600km piste doman with 200+ lifts.
latest report
I have have been on the blower this morning to ski safari looking at Revelstoke and Kicking horse two place stay I think its the only way to escape the Whistler magnet. Laughing
ski holidays
http://www.skisafari.com/Ski-Canada-Powder-Safari-Safari-Details.aspx .
latest report
saikee wrote:
I would have thought Aspen is the place one should visit at least once in USA, Same for Whistler in Canada, St Anton in Austria, Cortina Ampezzo in Italy, Zermatt in Switzerland etc.

Don't have one for France but 3V is the world biggest linked resort so no good talking about skiing if one hasn't tried out to one's satisfaction this 600km piste doman with 200+ lifts.

An interesting opinion (and probably worthy of a thread in its own right). I would have thought Val D'Isere would be on the list - it is just synonymous with skiing IMHO
latest report
saikee, rather not do the 3v`s JMO dont get me wrong I would love to go to Europe but the price of everything while you are there is ridiculous and the attitude of some people there just dosnt float my boat and before you say Whistler is just like disney world yeah your right thats why I stayed in for 3/4 nights because i couldnt stand it so I went for a takeaway curry and watched telly and chilled in my appartment.i wouldnt want to stay in in a euro box for 4 nights and watch some euro crap on the box the good thing with canada is you can understand the box,its my perfect place really wicked skiing,curry and telly I could live there Laughing I think the mix of revelstoke for chilled nights and top skiing and then Jackson hole for more top skiing and a bit more lively night life will be a good mix.I really cant bring myself to pay 7/8 euro for a Guiness and the chance to pay for the privilage to get hasselled off Russians and loads of drunk brits wink
latest report
saikee wrote:

This seems ludicrous to me. I know it's a popular measure among intermediate Brits but number of lifts and km of piste is but one single measure of the merit of an area (or linked areas) as a skiing destination. It may be broadly proportionate to the chances of finding "interesting" stuff (however one's interests are defined from challenge to nice restaurants) but it's also probably proportionate to skiing population, boring "commuter" elements etc etc. I've in mind a few tiny (in global terms) ski areas that I'd recommend to a keen all round skier as ones for their bucket lists well ahead of 3V.
snow conditions
fatbob, yeah thats the thing I would rather someone said here,here,and here only small but brilliant skiing and if you go in this place the food is wicked.
ski holidays
meandrew, You already know here, here, here is Whistler, Blackcomb then Whistler and Blackcomb via peak to peak. Go to Hy's the steaks are incredible and last year you could get in. Mountain was as busy but definitely less people eating out. You know you want to.

More sensibly, I would be really interested to know what you think after the trip if you do go elsewhere as the force has always been too strong for us to do it.
ski holidays
Jake43, hahahahaha stop it please the draw of the bowls is killing me but there must be others places out there ive just had a quote of 1295 10 days winter park Zepher mountain lodge inc lift pass think im getting drawn south.My lad went last year really enjoyed it,and Earls 24 oz porterhouse with prawns and horseraddish mash wins Laughing
snow conditions
meandrew, Went to Earls last year too and it was no where near as good as Hy's but then it was not the same price either. Possibly Earls tops it in value
latest report
Jake43, thats why we didnt do HY`s we stayed in the delta and had a look but to dear earls was only $24 for that meal i had it twice I keep trying to ask butchers over here for a steak as big and they just look at me like Im an idiot,thats another thing whistler ruined steaks Laughing what was price in Hy`s you paid?
snow conditions
I find it amazing that skiers would not like to ski 3V at least once. People don't go there because they have been there before. 3V can be an excellent skiing place if one knows when to go. At the end of the day skiing to some is freedom. Clip a pair of skis and go round a huge terrain can be somebody's cup of tea.

I do think 3V has its place. Whistler claims to be the biggest North American resort and my estimate is it is about the same size as Espace Killy (Tignes with Val D'Isere) having 300km piste. The biggest skiing domain should be Italian Dolomites with 1200km piste but it is made up by 12 areas. Its Sella Ronda loop, linking Selva, Alta Badia, Arabba and Canazie, claims 510km piste is a day's skiing form many skiers. The Porte du Soleil also has 600km but it is spread over many unlinked areas between France and Switzerland. Another big one Paradaski is made up by linking Les Arc with La Plagne to offer 425km piste. 3V is truly the biggest fully linked and integrated resort! The last time I skied there took me one day to explore each valley. I think a serious skier would like to see at least the biggest domain in this planet and be able to appreciate what mega French resorts mean.

If one like to stick to a small place that no TO would be interested that is one's personal choice. In today Bergfex web site it lists 217, 111, 61 and 60 skiing resorts for Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Germany respectively. These 450 resorts are more than many skiers can explore in a life time without visiting France, North America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Koren, China, Lebanon, Cyprus, Iran......

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 19-07-11 19:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
We manage Sun Peaks each year for the last 10 yrs, but we usually add on a week in Silver Star or a few days in big white. One year we did get to Revelstoke but it poured down!! Added a week in Whistler last year you can get a bus transfer on a Friday from SP to Whistler or if you want any of the other resorts you can book transfers on the resorts web sites.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, i dont really want to go skiing big circuits and following maps lift to lift but thats my choice I like the open bowls and tree sking and uncomplicated lift systems.Granted you dont get the miles but I want to be able to ski all day in big open bowls then cruise about on pistes and then go tree skiing you can do that off one lift at whistler and then move across one ridge and do it all again and then again.joneski, whats the skiing like at Sun peaks/silverstar/big white what skiing do you do, and what drags you back every year?.
latest report
meandrew,

If you want to ski among trees, bowls and ridges then Colorado has plenty of them in Breckenridge, Vail, Keystone, Aspen... I think the American resorts do have an edge for these sort of things. It appears to me the many American skiing resorts are young geologically with shallow depth of organic soil supporting shorter evergreen trees and seldom as dense as in the European countries. Thus many American forests have adequate snow cover inside and can be good fun to ski in and out within the inbound areas. This is lacking in many established Alpine resorts which tend to have established route for every piste run.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 19-07-11 20:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
saikee, i love the fact its all so acessible aswell if you get the snow conditions aswell as in powder, bloody awesome.
snow conditions
meandrew,

What you need is ALTA!!

A life changing ski experience IMHO.

Nothing there. No town. 5 hotels. Ski in ski out. No crowds. Not many pistes. Lots of bowls and "hike to" terrain. Oh, and the small matter of 50 feet of snow each winter!

We stayed at the Goldminers Daughter. Highly recommended. Not cheap but reasonably priced for the experience.

Every self respecting skier ows it to himself to make the pilgrimage Very Happy
snow conditions
Bergmeister, im going sometime in the near future looks wicked think the 40th will be the one either road trip early or go near my birthday and go chile,only 2 year off Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

What you need is ALTA!!

Another point for Alta is that it's a skiers only mountain. No snowboarders. So if you or your group snowboard it won't work. It's connected to Snowbird though so you can ski over from there. Snowbird allows boards.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy