Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern transfers from Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I'm looking at booking a holiday in Obertauern, getting flights and hotels seperately. Though we're happy to spend a decent amount on the hotel, we don't want to pay out a lot for the flights and transfers. We've been recommended a coach transfer service but they don't appear to cover Easyjet flights.
I've emailed the coach operators but they haven't responded as yet. We're keen to book soon before the cheap flights run out so are hoping that someone can help us with sorting out a transfer. I understand that we can get a train to Radstadt and then a taxi from there but I can't work out where I can find out info about the train timetable. Our biggest problem is that we're flying back to the UK at 11:00 on the Sunday (18th Dec).
Going out we might be able to sneak on to one of the scheduled transfers (i.e. for the people flying in with BA), but all the non-Easyjet flights coming back are much later than ours. We don't want to book onto the BA flights for our return journey as they're double the price of the Easyjet ones.
So - if anyone has got any advice about how we can sort our transfers, or even a link to a site we can use to arrange public transport (i.e. train times) then that would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all responses.
Emm.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.oebb.at/

Try the Austrian rail website (link above). I don't think you can switch the website to English, but just put your starting station in the box next to "von" and your destination into the field next to "nach" and then just put the date and the time in.

Hope that helps! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/transfer-buchen-en.php?a=1

Reisen transfer will be difficult to beat at 53E return. They will wait for you at the airport and on the way back pick you up from the hotel. Transfer probably just under 1h.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is the link to all transfers from Salzburg airport, maybe there will be something else to rival Reisen above:
http://www.salzburg-airport.com/en/passengers-visitors/arrival-parking/bus-train-taxi/taxi-transferservice/

I think public transport will be too much hassle: bus from airport to Salzburg then train to Radstadt then another bus.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Emmeline, send a PM to Flangesax in Radstadt - they live there and their clients use Habersatter. There is a British couple in Zauchensee who organise minibus transfers as well. Ben has all the details based on local knowledge and experience.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Emmeline, Habersatter offer a coach transfer service. This is a shared service that hangs around the airport (sometimes for up to 3 hours) to fill up. It serves all the southern areas of Ski Amadé plus the Steirmark ones and Obertauern.... it will take way over an hour!

We stoppe using the company a few years ago as they mucked me about... however... having said all that you may get a lucky break, not have to wait and be dropped off first.. as somepeople who have used the service have been.

We use www.huberreisen.at for our transfers. Always been very reliable and don't normally operate a huge coach service to fill up (just mini-busses).

TBH - whoever you book will wait for you and pick you up... just book one with your flight details.

...of course you could always think of staying somewhere within Ski Amadé... and be guided about by a snowHead .... Wink

[ EDIT 27.11.2016 Both Habersatter and Huberreisen offer a decent and easy service for transfers with much shorter wait times! ]

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 27-11-16 15:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As schneeflocke, says there is lots of info on the OBB website (for English click on "English" top right). It does busses as well as trains. It would take about two hours. That said you might struggle that early on Sunday morning. Looks like the first (slower) bus arrives at 0944 at the main station In Salzburg which might be cutting it a bit slim (you'd probably still get through Salzburg airport in that time, but they would scowl at you lots...). In any case they don't have their winter timetable out yet.

Given you need to go early on the Sunday I would actually go back to Salzburg the evening before, stay in a nice hotel and visit the Christmas markets, you'd lose some skiing time on Saturday though, but the journey would be less stressful on Sunday morning.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we've always used taxis for Obertauern. aves messing around, and leaving anything to risk (nothing more frustrating than sitting in a coach part knowing that you could and should be on thesnow). Plus if you time the flights correctly, you can get a couple of hours on arrival, and nearly a whole day on departure.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello,
thanks very much for your responses Smile

flangesax, Samerberg Sue,
Thanks for the responses (again) Smile
Tempted by www.austrian-adventures.com - looks ace , but we're really after a luxury hotel break as it's our first snow holiday together and we want it to be all romantic and that - hehehe!
We've just been on the huberreisen website and can't get to grips with the language barrier, willing to give it a better go though when we've got a bit more time.

Tom W,
thanks - I've contacted Habbersatter by email a couple of times but had no response as yet - I liked the price but they don't appear to cater for Easyjet passengers. Going there wouldn't be too bad, our flight gets in at 10:40 so we could hang around for the BA lot (12:45), it's getting back that's the bug though - BA fly out at 14:35, we're 11:00.

Think you're probably right about the public transport - we'll have a look at the link you've posted above - thanks for that Smile

schneeflocke, nozawaonsen,
thanks - looks like it could be a struggle with busses/trains.
Have looked into staying in Salzburg for the night (nice idea) but it doesn't work out well, it would be more expensive and we'd lose a day's skiing Sad Less hassle though....

Bob,
thanks - what sort of prices are the taxis? Would they be ok to transport all our kit?

Think we might also contact the hotel, see if they can suggest anything - seeing as we'll be paying £1475 to stay with them hopefully they'll try and get us there Very Happy

Cheers all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well we used Habersatter at least twice to Schladming and Obertauern and it always been around 1h. Giving us half day on the snow on the arrival.
Saying this we always travel off peak season and never weekends so maybe it is different when they are busier. From what I remember they have to transfer you within 1h from the airport. So even if you have to wait , it is not more than 1h.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tom W, thanks. Problem is they don't do transfers for Easyjet flights. We can pretend we're on the BA flight going out, and hang around at the airport until 12:45 (or whenever), but I don't think they'll do a transfer back at 08:00 on the 18th, as everyone else's flights leave much later than ours Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Emmeline, Tom W, inpeak season Habersatter quite literally hang around until they fill their coach.
Give them a ring on Monday morning.. .they speak English in there (they are based in Radstadt so I may pop in some time anyhow).

Huberreisen are a shared taxi transfer service.

And too right... not much romance round here! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax, hehe Razz Yeah, I'll give them a ring, if you do end up popping in and can find anything out that would be ace. I've also emailed the hotel now.
Think we'll be alright getting there, it's the return that's the problem. If the worst comes to it we'll do what nozawaonsen suggested and stay in Salzburg on the Saturday night. Thing is we only pay 91 euros less to not stay at our hotel, get Saturday dinner, Sunday breakfast and Saturday ski pass. By the time we've booked a hotel in Salzburg (£51) then paid for our own evening meal and next day's breakfast we've already spent more than 91 euros AND lost a day skiing. Quite tempted by the Christmas markets though so might end up being swayed towards that.... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Emmeline, I've also used Habersatter (once at Easter) and my experience was same as Tom W describes. 5 of us and the transfer to Obertauern took about an hour each way with no hanging around.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, I think they are pretty good off-peak (which... believe it or not, Easter always is)... but I personally can't recommend them in peak times - heard too many stories.
ski holidays
flangesax, I know that you are in a much better position to hear about these things, though it should be noted that the OP isn't going at a peak time Confused
snow conditions
Emmeline, I'd take flangesax's advice over any people who just happened to be lucky ONCE! rolling eyes He lives in the area and has guests coming in every week during the season, so he knows from their experience how shiote Habersatter can be. Do you really want to risk it on the say so of a couple who used them once?

flangesax, What about Karen, does she do pick ups for Obertauren or just her place in Zauchensee?
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, that rolling eyes smiley is so incredibly condescending and irritating.

Samerberg Sue wrote:
flangesax, ... they live there and their clients use Habersatter.

Samerberg Sue wrote:
flangesax, ... he knows from their experience how shiote Habersatter can be.

Bearing in mind that you have already indicated your own ignorance on this thread - you are really in no position to belittle other's experiences. I'm sure that the OP is quite capable of drawing her own conclusions.
ski holidays
taxis normally about 140-150 euro each way. but that typically gets you a mini bus, so the more you squeeze in the cheaper it gets.
You may find the hotel can do the transfer themselves, some have teir own minibuses. Had a great experiance last year in Damuels, the hotrl did the transfer, it was about 30% cheaper than using the regular taxis.
Not sure which hotel you are using, but if its the SChutz, they have a minibus that they can use fro transfers, i've used it a couple of times in the past.
snow report
Ray Zorro, don't be such a patronising idiot! I'll use whatever smiley I feel like when I want to - stop being so God damned pompous!

Ben lives there and his business is tied into the transfer market to some degree or another, his experience is based on week in week out actual experience. I'll take his advice before that of some vistitor who had a good transfer once any day

I know the area well and have been based in and around there for well over 20 years - put that in your holy pipe and smoke it you snob rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Ray Zorro, don't argue with Samerberg Sue, remember Mark Twain!
latest report
Bob, thanks for the info, well over double the price for a coach transfer then (there's only 2 of us so wouldn't work out too cheap), though I'm sure it's probably worth it to avoid hassle! stayin in Hotel Steiner (well I hope we are, we haven't booked it yet!) I've also asked them if they can recommend anything, fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone for comments and advice about Habersatter - I'll ring them on Monday anyway and have a proper think if it turns out they can do 8am Sunday.

Cool...
latest report
Ooer - turnsout the coach company did get back to me (5 days ago but the email got 'junked' so I've only just read it!!) with an invoice and booking reference so it looks like they can do the early morning return transfer (flying back at 11:00 - eek!), BUT I've had to email them back just to check as they haven't quoted times or anything. Step in the right direction anyway Very Happy
latest report
Ray Zorro, Laughing looks like someone's toys got thrown out of the pram Madeye-Smiley

Emmeline, I opened this thread to give you my experience of using a transfer from Salzburg to Obertauern but I'm afraid I've only used it once before as a visitor and so our resident expert will deem my recommendation to be irrelevant.....

We stayed at the Hotel Schneider http://www.schneider.at/english/ and it was really a great hotel, super food and a lovely pool - I would highly recommend it. Staff were really friendly and helpful. We booked the transfer using the link on the Obertauern website, which was with Habersatter and had an excellent service. No hanging about at Salzburg, got whisked off to the hotel in a minibus with some others on our flight and a very prompt and efficient service on the return as well.

Hope you get it sorted Very Happy
snow report
Emmeline, I would give them a go for sure. It is your best option unless you want to spend 3x for private taxi. Even if it will last 2h in total it is still better and quicker than public transport. But I doubt it will.

Our Obertauern transfer was very efficient and quick.

The second time to Schladming it wasn't that good but still ok. (we had to wait around 45min in the airport for late Berlin flight, then this mini bus went straight to Obertauern, while Schladming skiers had a change over in Radstad, not ideal but still ok for the price and well under 2h).

From what I understand they will always offer you a service if there are at least two people. No matter what flight timetable. (our flight back from Obertauern was on Tuesday 9.30pm and they still provide it with only 2 of us being in the car)
snow report
cathy, Tom W, thanks - now that I think about it, the reason I started looking at Obertauern in the first place is because someone recommended it on another thread of mine, mainly based on the ease of transfer (using Habersatter)!

I have to admit that Habersatter did get back to me pretty quickly after I made the original enquiry (I just didn't check my Junk folder!), but I've been on hold on the phone with them for 30 minutes so far this morning, trying to confirm they are ok with the 08:00 transfer coming back - no option to leave a message..... Sad So average service so far if that's anything to go on.

The return transfer is the thing I'm worried about really - we're not planning on skiing the first day anyway so I'm not fussed if we're hanging around in the airport for a while on the 11th, I just need to make sure we can get back to Salzburg to make our return flight on the 18th.

I'll have a look at Hotel Shneider too - thanks. Don't think I spotted that one before.

Hmmm.... how long does one stay on hold before it's a given that they're not going to get through? Puzzled
snow report
Hmmm.... decision made for me - hold message has now changed to 'our offices are closed between 12:00 and 14:00'...... flip! Confused Ah well, guess I'll try again later...!
snow report
Emmeline, As I said before I think if there are 2 of you they will always provide service to any timetable. That's at least how I see it.

We used them and similar transfer taxi deals around Salzburg I think at least 5 times. Most of the times I booked just a few days before arrival/departure and they where happy to confirm and pay cash to the driver. (this was the reason why I waited until last minute as bank transfers are costly and time consuming, now as you can pay by card it is not a problem).

All 5 times we were leaving in the middle of the week, on 9.30pm late Ryanair flight from Salzburg, and all 5 times we were the only 2 customers in the taxi (on return way). They still had no problems with this so I am rather sure they will drive you for your early flight as well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Habersatter landed a nice chunky contract about 2 1/2 years ago to be the 'official' (looking) transfer service for most of the major areas within Ski Amadé and Central Salzburgerland.

Up to this point they were the same as any other transfer service and offered a shared transfer in mini-bus or a larger coach when in demand.

Now in peak times they only offer the coach service and hang around the airport until it is full.
This has caught out hundreds of skiers who have purposely caught an early flight to get an early ski and have then been stranded at Salzburg airport for up to 3 hours waiting for their transfer.

Indirect transfers with changes are not fore-warned or mentioned anywhere. Groups have been hanging around for 45 min waiting for the second service to pick them up and take them to Obertauern/Schladming/Gasteins etc..

Flights that have been delayed or re-directed have been ignored with no service... eg.. your flight is delayed.. no one elses is... they do the scheduled transfer and don't have a back-up for your flight arrival.
This has happened to me and to others.

On telephoning the company after this debacle I was comforted by the responce 'what are we supposed to do... make sure we check flight times and arrivals?'

The service can be slick, cheap and speedy... but it can also be slow, unreliable and IME sometimes not exist at all.

After a string of errors and mistakes we decided to use and recommend a different transfer company which has been no problem at all.

Off-peak you will normally be offered a mini-bus transfer and as Tom W wrote the minimum is usually 2 (but has been 4 on occassion).

[ EDIT 27.11.2016 Please note this info was correct at time of writing... It seems like everything is running pretty smoothly 'nowadays' ] Laughing

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 27-11-16 15:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Emmeline, another vote for the Schneider from me. A piste to and from the back door, luxurious feel with pool and fantastic food.

cathy, wink snowHead From what has been said on this thread the likes of you and I can now legitimately claim that there is not a single thing that we do not know about London and the SE due to our having lived in the area for oh so many years!

flangesax, it is interesting to know the history, particularly as I am thinking of returning this coming season. I note that here they claim that "The max. waiting time at the airport from the arrival of the planes (after baggage claim) is one hour". How did they respond when you pointed out that they had breached that for you?
ski holidays
All - thanks very much for all your feedback and help, I am now sorted Smile Booked my Easyjet flights, and the Hotel Steiner (Shneider looked amazing as well but would have taken us over budget). Haberstatter have emailed, and I also phoned them - and they will be able to accommodate our transfer back on the 18th with no problems. Even though we're not going in peak season I don't really mind if we have to hang around in the airport on the 11th, as we've not really planned anything for that day anyway. We'll just chill out in the hotel and suss out the local area I think Smile

Just got to pay for the transfers, and book our luggage in with Easyjet (not sure at mo whether we're taking 1 lot of sports luggage or 2).

Oh, also got to sort the airport parking Smile

Cheers again, really excited!

Emm.
ski holidays
Emmeline, had frds stay in the stiener, they liked it .. schnieder and riegle royal are two of the best if you fancy stumping up the big bucks.. dont play the stupid dice game with the bartenders in the riegle you will end up bladdered and with a horrific bar bill! ..
think the stiener has a t bar out the back to save you walking any where takes you up n over to the zentralbahn ideal place to be at 9 am sharp on a sunny morning!
ski holidays
Quote:

ideal place to be at 9 am sharp on a sunny morning!

you'll be lucky to get many of those in the first couple of weeks at Obertauern wink
snow report
flangesax, valid Very Happy
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, flangesax,
We had 5 out of 5 in December 2007. Not to mention the epic early snow Very Happy

latest report
Tom W, nice pic never got to grips with the goats milk thing in the bar in the old cable car top station .. i like the taking the hairpin path down the last bit under the bubble car. shoot the exit and try to make it behind the cable car station and up the hill to four man chair up to treft 2000
ski holidays
Hi

Sorry for the hoof, but is the advice still the same for Salz - Obertauern transfer April this year. i.e. huber reissen???? as suggested by flangesax

Got 9 out and 10 back to sort out.

Also, what's the easiest way of getting from Radstadt train station to Obertauern - the last person arrives on their own on a wednesday aft.

Thanks

M
latest report
Warning - long -post alert!

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I started this thread - amusing re-reading it though, I'd forgotten about a couple of the exchanges on here (near the start).

Mattmulkeen - I expect flangesax will respond to this, and could well suggest using Huberreisen.
That might well be the best option, however I thought I'd chuck my two pence worth in.

I might have got lucky but I didn't have any issues at all with Habersatter, but I know other people have had issues, maybe it was the time of year I went.
Either way - if Huberreisen doesn't turn out to be a viable option (i.e. if they're all booked out or whatever) then it could be worth giving Habersatter a go Smile

CANV CANVINGTON - I never responded to your post, apologies! We didn't hit Shnieder or Riegle, or play any dice games, but we managed to rack up a massive bar bill nonetheless, mainly because the smoking lounge was so darn comfortable, we'd rock up there after our day's skiing/boarding, take a puzzle book and the laptop, and within seconds someone was at our shoulder with a pint of beer, which they replaced every time we ran empty!
After dinner (which was 5 courses on every night other than one, which was 11 courses!!!) we'd return to the bar, and it would end up with us drinking with the bar staff until the wee small hours. I'm surprised we even made it onto the slopes!

The skiing was pretty good, snow conditions were fine - loads of snow, perhaps too much as it all got a bit blizzard-y.
There was a cool bar up the mountain where they were playing mad Austro-Euro pop (classic being a German version of ‘Amarillo’) where we stopped off every day for a glug (or two) of Gluhwein.
The one day we ended up befriending a group of German guys, who insisted on getting us royally drunk, as the skiing was out, due to the blizzard conditions. The run back from there to the main strip was a nice, wide, easy one – but after several pints it was impossible to ski down, and consequently it ended up with us having to sledge down on my OH’s snowboard!
We went to a bar at the bottom, where the blokes proceeded to play this mental game involving hammering a nail into a log, seeing who could bang it in either the quickest, or with the smallest number of strokes. There was a spiral staircase going round the entire building, which people were dancing on – awesome!

After eventually making it back to the hotel that night, we ended up back in the smoking lounge, and I finished the night at around 3am by being wheeled back to my room in the luggage trolley, because I literally couldn’t walk (oops!)! Then I woke up a few hours later and found the OH comatose in the hallway outside the room – total carnage!
To be fair though, Mr Steiner himself was all fine with it, and made a point of coming to talk to us every night, and make sure we were ok.

I’m hoping to go back again this December (maybe under a different name!) because the resort itself was awesome, and for value for money I don’t think I’ve ever been anywhere as amazing as Hotel Steiner. The wellness facilities and food were outstanding, the staff were absolutely brilliant, and they proper go all out for Christmas decorations, which is always good in early December, if you're away from home.

Anyway, Mattmulkeen - I hope you and your party have an amazing time, regardless of where you stay, and I hope you manage to sort out transfers for everyone.

I guess that's more of a sixpence contribution than tuppence, but either way - I thought it would be a good idea to give some feedback. I'm not an alcoholic, no matter how the above reads, but I would say - if you like your beer (or Jaeger, or Gluhwein etc), good skiing, and a luxurious stay, then you won't be disappointed with going to Obertauern.

Have fun!
latest report
Emmeline, Laughing Laughing how I remember this thread.
latest report
Emmeline,

Ha ha sounds awesome

Thanks for the feedback on the transfer company.

We are flying jet2 ... does this mean that we will end up waiting around????

Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy