Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More Scottish Ski Trips For Me!!!

Poster: A snowHead
My brother has been working in Scotland for the last year. He is up there Mon-Fri then comes home. He has been staying in a hotel but now the company have rented him a house out in Perth, Scotland. Obviously when he isnt there i can go up for weekends and stay there for free. What is the nearest ski resort from Perth and is is a viable option to commute from there to ski each day? Just hoping for a decent winter again now, bring on December and the snow!!! May also be able to take a few North West snowheads up there as well from time to time if it is ok with my brother (dont see why it wouldnt be) Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glenshee is nearest - about an hour. Perfectly feasible.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one snowHead

Glenshee is closest Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, sounds great. Perth's a nice place too, and plenty of skiing in GLenshee. Pop up a post when you;re thinking of it, we're close enough to join you for a trip up
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't forget your rubber ring!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14172696
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It would be possible to visit all of them (I hope you do at least once) but obviously Nevis and Glencoe in the West are quite a bit further and you'd have to set out rather early in the morning! The west is still my favourite but often, I must admit, the snow is better in the East.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, I will let you know when I head up there. I think it could be quite often!!! Keep your eyes open for a post in the winter time, the more the merrier!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bout an hour to xscape in glesga wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An hour to Glasgow? You got a helicopter?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mcspreader wrote:
An hour to Glasgow? You got a helicopter?

It is only 60 miles from Glasgow to Perth so at 60 mph, it will take 1 hour. Personally i was planning on skiing in the mountains rather than in a large fridge is Glasgow!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From Perth in order of how long it will take you to get there:

Glenshee 45 miles
Glencoe 80 miles
Lecht 75 miles (the road from the south however is often closed)
Cairngorm 90 miles
Nevis 100 miles

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 17-07-11 10:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Glenshee: 1 hr 1 min (40.4 miles)
Xscape: 1hr 24 min (65.8 miles)
Lecht: 1hr 46 min (71.9 miles)
Glencoe: 1 hr 53 min (76.2 miles)
Cairngorm: 2 hr 2 min (91.7 miles)
Nevis: 2 hr 17 min (102 miles)

All according to Google Maps Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glencoe, Cairngorm and Nevis will normally take less time than this. The Lecht will often take substantially more. That route assumes not just the A93 and A939 are open but the B976 as well - more often than not some of this route will be shut in winter. Glenshee is probably the best for an intermediate piste cruiser anyway! Meall Odhar reds off Caenlochan - a faff to get to but worth it. And you can time your run to Glas Maol to arrive when there's no queue wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting that the West coast and Cairngorm are about the same time, I had just assumed it was further to the West.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So it looks like the main place i will ski when using my brothers place will be Glenshee. Also it says Cairngorm is 91 miles away - yet takes 2 hours??? The A9 has speed limits of 60 and 70mph. Im sure it can be done in less than 2 hours, a lot less infact. The same goes for Glenshee, 1 hour to do 40 miles, surely the A93 must be a national speed limit road as well? Ive skied at The Lecht but i wouldnt go back, wasnt impressed.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, You get a lot of lorries on the A9 with enough traffic coming the other way to make it hard to overtake. You can get stuck behind somebody who brakes on every bend on the A93 too but it feels faster to me, maybe just because you are needing to think more about your driving.
latest report
It's not too bad to overtake on the A9 if it's reasonably quiet but when cars start building up behind a lorry it becomes awkward and almost pointless trying to skip your way up the queue. You can get lucky though and on occasion the truck drivers do pull over.

I much prefer the drive to Cairngorm from Perth than Glenshee. Sick of seeing the road up from Blair Laughing
snow report
Have you tried Nevis, Ricklovesthepowder ? If you like steep slopes (and off piste) it is the place to go. Or if you fancy Scottish touring there is quite a lot, some of it starting from Cairngorm.
You should go on the http://www.winterhighland.info/ website for lots more detail on Scottish skiing.
snow report
snowball, Ive skied Glencoe, Cairngorm and The Lecht. Never skied Glenshee or Nevis. From Perth Glenshee is the obvious choice. Nevis is 2 hours away so it would have to be a good reason why to go there rather than glenshee. I loved cairngorm when i skied there this year. Glencoe was good as there was about 2ft of fresh snow and about 50 skiers there, basically had the place to myself!!!
latest report
Also would anyother North West snowheads be interested in car sharing to cut on fuel costs etc. With free accomodation, sharing a car etc it could be a really cheap weekend skiing in Scotland!!!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, quite probably yes.
snow conditions
Here are my times

Glenshee probably 50 mins.

Cairngorm. 100mins. From my mother in laws to perth via aviemore is 2.5 hours and it is an hour from aviemore so 100mins is about right.

Glencoe. 100mins. itr is about 1hour 15 to Crianlarich on the A85 in the morning then another 20 mins to Glencoe... ad 5 mins on for bacon roll at the cafe Happy
ski holidays
snowball, Cairngorm is a long way north. Somehow it's location seems like it's 'between Perth & Inverness, just off the A9' but is actually 'just south of Inverness, near the A9'.

Ricklovesthepowder, Might not manage any trips this year - babies Evil or Very Mad or should that be Embarassed Only managed 1 weekend last year - here's the pictures from Glenshee:

https://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829/Glenshee8Jan2011
snow report
what...snow, Well if you can come then just me know at any time. Great pics there by the way. Clenshee looks really good!!! Cant wait to have it within an hour of mt brothers house!!! I will have to get friendly with some of the scottish users on this forum so i can start skiing with them.
snow conditions

Glenshee: 0 hr 47 min (39.4 miles)
Xscape: 1hr 13 min (66.8 miles)
Lecht: 1hr 22 min (71.1 miles)
Glencoe: 1 hr 32 min (76.6 miles)
Nevis: 1hr 45 min (97.7 miles)
Cairngorm: 1 hr 48 min (90.9 miles)

All according to Garmin Wink
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, Glenshee is the largest ski area in Scotland... however the runs are quite short.... on the west side the tiger is a steep black and Carn Aosda is a nice red/blue however the real gem is Glas Maol... if the tow is open... there are many lines down from the top of the tow... the marked runs are a black and a red but that doesn't do it justice... 2 photo's

I don't often get as all the other centers are a lot closer for me but I'm pleased I went last season
latest report

Ricklovesthepowder
Don't believe Garmin, or Google maps. From Perth up A93 to Glenshee is 40 miles but not many straight ones; and in summer even knowing the road well it's 1 hr minimum, if you are allowing for winter conditions (and traffic if there's good skiing) it will take longer... but don't let that put you off, there's some great skiing there
ski holidays
glenshee skier, Cheers. I take it by your username your up there quite a lot??? Will have to meet up when I'm up for the weekend. Where are you from?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is part of the steep back corries of Nevis and is the reason for going there. (The -sort of- piste ways in are not as steep. This is off piste.)

See "Post some summer stoke.." for more.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 18-07-11 10:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

Also would anyother North West snowheads be interested in car sharing to cut on fuel costs etc.

Yes sounds good! Smile
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I`d come up anytime.
ski holidays
meandrew, schneeflocke, Great stuff. Now all we need is some snow!!! Very Happy
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, With good conditions Glenshee is great. The best continuous days skiing I've done in the UK was at Glenshee at Easter 86. Sun and little wind for 4 days plus it snowed overnight a couple of times. Fantastic. The Glas Maol lift hadn't been built at the time but people were walking up there. Although the runs are short the area is large and interesting. The problem is when there's thin snow cover it loses it very quickly (unlike Cairngorm). It's somewhere where you decide on the day whether to go but when it's good it's worth it. There was a time when I'd have moved to Perth in a heartbeat. I'm from Lancashire but have been in the SW for 30 years now.
ski holidays
billb, Cheers, well if the snow is good the obvious choice is glenshee, if it's a bit iffy then cairngorm is a great backup plan. Love skiing at cairngorm!!!
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Also would anyother North West snowheads be interested in car sharing to cut on fuel costs etc. With free accomodation, sharing a car etc it could be a really cheap weekend skiing in Scotland!!!

Very Happy So is the accommodation really free or is there some form of barter payment involved by offering the use of the place for the supply of transport. It's a short step from this to looking after children and Swiss slavery. Do the relevant authorities or the tax man know about this. I think we should be told. Very Happy
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Gilberts Fridge, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Gilberts Fridge, Me thinks your looking into this a little to hard. Simply a way to get a few snowheads together for a cheap ski weekend. Going up together and staying somewhere free will cut costs down for everyone concerned.
snow report
Gilberts Fridge, Hahahaha!!!
snow report
The relative ease of access and closeness of Glencoe to Perth is seriously overlooked by many. Most of the A85 is pretty reasonable and lot less torturous on the whole than the A93. From Crianlarich to Glencoe you have a fantastic stretch of road, by far and away the best of the A82 - just watch for camera vans on Rannoch Moor!

This route to Glencoe is also far less likely to be closed due to snow than the Southern approach to Glenshee or indeed the CairnGorm Ski Road. If your coming from further afield, Perth is a good place to try and check out what's happening weatherwise and roadwise as it's the best place to have a change of plan, esp from Glenshee to CairnGorm or from east to west.

Quote:
Lecht: 1hr 22 min (71.1 miles)

Bear in mind that this short route includes four of the most prone to weather closure roads in Scotland. Thats the southern and northern approach to Glenshee, the B976 Crathie to Gairnshiel, the A939 Bridge of Gairn to Corgarrf and the A939 Cockbridge to Lecht. The B976 has been prone to extended closures, indeed last winter it was effectively a winter closure, it was closed for over 6weeks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy