Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

summer ski close to cham

Poster: A snowHead
this must have been asked before, if so can you point me to the thread.

Whats the closest summer ski to Chamonix, I'm about to spend a week camping there but would love to get a half day skiing in. Would also need to rent as I'm not planning on carrying skis around for half a day on the slopes. Don't mind travelling a couple of hours or getting up early, but would need somewhere to rent skies the day before so could get straight out on the slopes first lift.

Although we have planned a week in Cham nothing is yet confirmed so moving on would be an alternative to facilitate some skiing, can anyone recommend some camping we wouldn't have to book last minute in a summer ski resort?

Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Tignes would be the closest but it will be about a couple of hours drive (via the Mont Blanc Tunnel then via La Thuile over the Petit St Bernard Pass - a very scenic/spectacular drive).

You would need to set you alarm early to drive there and catch the first lift, however, as the glacier opens at 7.30 am! (and closes at 1pm for skiing - although you are allowed to lounge in the deckchairs there until about 4pm).

We've skiied there for a couple of days the past 2 summers and are going again in a couple of weeks. It's worth the trip and there are always some great turns to be had.

If you do go it would be worth having a night or two in Tignes. The Hotel Diva or Vanoise usually have some reasonably priced rooms on offer at Tignes Val Claret.

The ski pass also includes access to the (non-glacier) skilifts that are open for mountain biking and/or hiking - both of which are great afternoon activities. Bike hire is available there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jakemanc, U can take the M Blance tunnel, Aosta Chátillon, and up to Cervinia and from there acces to Zermatt summerski,, why not hire skis in Chamonix Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
going through the tunnel - to anywhere - would make it a mighty expensive half days's skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I know thats expencive, but its jakemanc, only way to have summer skiing if he drive from chamonix early morning
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Swiss geography is not great beyond Verbier but can't you go Cham>Martigny>Visp>Zermatt.

I've no idea how long it would take, how far it is, or if that is the right Zermatt.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker, Its not a good idea, its more far, takes longer time, This rout U has also to let the car on a parking and take the train, its not possible to drive the car in Zermatt
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't do the tunnel to Tignes. Via Albertville is do-able, longer at 2.5 hours, but more predictable, cheaper and you don't have to drive twice through that creepy tunnel. But I wouldn't do it anyway - there's more than enough in Chamonix in the summer and all that time and money for a few runs on a T bar on a glacier (probably full of racers with limited space available) really isn't worth the hassle, in my book.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

all that time and money for a few runs on a T bar on a glacier really isn't worth the hassle, in my book.

Your e-mail suggests there's only 1 lift open (a T-bar). What about the cable car? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, but you have the advantage of virtually unlimited skiing throughout the winter. Anyway, jakemanc isn't asking if you would do it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aiguille du midi - ski down the arrete and down to the flat bit. Hike back up. Great skiing, exercise and views. Just need to watch out for crevasses!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jakemanc wrote:

so moving on would be an alternative to facilitate some skiing, can anyone recommend some camping we wouldn't have to book last minute in a summer ski resort?

Any ideas?

I stopped in Annecy 2 Summers ago, probably a place I would consider living if I won the lottery, it is absolutely stunning and a gem of a place to stay. We weren't camping but I do remember seeing campsites.

Tignes is very doable from here, less than 1 1/2 hours I reckon.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Aiguille du midi - ski down the arrete and down to the flat bit. Hike back up. Great skiing, exercise and views. Just need to watch out for crevasses!

BobinCH, That can be great skiing, have done that alot of time,, Winter and summertime Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1911&sid=16a3ea5594e1c21b47cb0e09cae52e29
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

you have the advantage of virtually unlimited skiing throughout the winter. Anyway, jakemanc isn't asking if you would do it.

indeed, but I don't think people are always aware how limited the summer glacier skiing is - hiking to find some snow in Chamonix sounds a much better way to spend the time and money. It's something I'd love to do if I was fitter, younger and a better skier.

I've only done summer skiing in Tignes and L2A, and with top class tuition each time, so doing the same run lots of times over (and in one case leaping over the ever-growing streams up the T bar) was worth it, for several days at a time, not half a day. Mostly it's T bars, and quite a bit of the skiing is closed off for race training. Ice in the morning, slush before mid-day. Doesn't do any harm to tell it like it is. I am going to be forced to do the Mont Blanc tunnel next month - no choice, really, to get down to Genoa but I don't think it's a great suggestion just to save 45 minutes or so over the drive via Albertville.

It would be well worth spending some days on one of the glaciers with really good tuition, but a half day trip from Chamonix? I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest it might not be worthwhile.
ski holidays
jakemanc
Quote:

Can anyone recommend some camping we wouldn't have to book last minute in a summer ski resort?
There's a campsite on the edge of Bourg St Maurice, which we haven't stayed at but looks pleasant enough. Don't know about the booking situation but it would be about 30 mins drive up to Tignes from there.

Here's the website: http://www.leversoyen.com/gb1.html

Alternatively, we have hiked past a lovely looking site in Val d'Isere - which would be a much more scenic place to stay than Bourg. And it would be only about 15 mins drive to Tignes glacier. Here you go: http://campinglesrichardes.free.fr/

Happy camping Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

And it would be only about 15 mins drive to Tignes glacier.

mountainaddict, Have U drive from the camping in Val d isere to Val Claret to acces the lifts to the glacier in 15min Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy