Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to work on next ski holiday....................

Poster: A snowHead
So how do you all decide what to work on to improve your skiing - do you pick just one thing or many, and how do you pick it - does someone point it out to you or do you inhernetly 'know' what needs work?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As we're in the equipment zone the answer must be what shiny new kit will most transform your skiing?

More seriously pick one thing at a time and it can be as simple as "relax" or "don't be a pussy".
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought the idea of holiday was not working...... NehNeh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, sod it - can some friendly mod do a mod thing and stick this into BZK where I thought I was posting it - pretty please??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, is there any one thing which you believe is holding back your skiing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to go with "spend more time eating lunch" and "drink more booze" - usually one or the other of these holds me back from my optimum achievement of eating too much and drinking too much with a bit of skiing in the middle.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pure enjoyment factor for me, I'm afraid I don't care too much about technique or improvement. It's a holiday first and foremost and it might well be my only holiday next year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:
I thought the idea of holiday was not working...... NehNeh

+1
FFS
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
Pure enjoyment factor for me, I'm afraid I don't care too much about technique or improvement. It's a holiday first and foremost

Totally agree Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hopefully not working, last ski trip HP7 arrived in the email whilst I was away. Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, what I would do, or rather, have done, is to take a few indoor lessons before setting off on holiday and then compile, with the help and guidance of my friendly instructor(s), a list of not more than half a dozen or so drills, specially chosen to address what they see as my major weaknesses. When I'm away skiing with friends, I use these as warm-ups and pick one or two at random to work on during the day at odd times, when an opportunity arises. That seems to be a relaxed sort of compromise between work and play.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
So how do you all decide what to work on to improve your skiing - do you pick just one thing or many, and how do you pick it - does someone point it out to you or do you inhernetly 'know' what needs work?

I just ski when I'm on holiday, unless I'm on a holiday with lessons. I don't consciously work on anything and hope that lessons I've had have just been absorbed through osmosis and transformed my skiing Madeye-Smiley

Wot Pedantica says would be a good plan if you want to work on things on your hols.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought, from discussions on here, it would be obvious.

Bumps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep generally "just ski" working on stuff is what the other 50 or so weeks are for! Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 15-07-11 13:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
Megamum, what I would do, or rather, have done, is to take a few indoor lessons before setting off on holiday and then compile, with the help and guidance of my friendly instructor(s), a list of not more than half a dozen or so drills, specially chosen to address what they see as my major weaknesses. When I'm away skiing with friends, I use these as warm-ups and pick one or two at random to work on during the day at odd times, when an opportunity arises. That seems to be a relaxed sort of compromise between work and play.

just what I was going to suggest!
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
I don't consciously work on anything and hope that lessons I've had have just been absorbed through osmosis and transformed my skiing Madeye-Smiley

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
+1, that's me all over! Although I do find some drills come back to me when I'm faced with something that challenges me.

cathy wrote:
Wot Pedantica says would be a good plan if you want to work on things on your hols.

+1

Mostly, for me, it's confidence - and there have been a few threads on this topic.
For me, the better I get, the more I enjoy skiing, so I will work on stuff while I'm on holiday, just not all the time.
latest report
Quote:

Pure enjoyment factor for me, I'm afraid I don't care too much about technique or improvement. It's a holiday first and foremost

Pure enjoyment for me as well, but whereas I eat and drink all year round I can only ski a few weeks a year, so this is precious time. And the better I ski, the more I enjoy it, and if skiing badly I enjoy it less. I have found that a structured skills warmup each day really helps, including some balance drills (fore/aft and lateral) and steering drills (edge control, rotation, pressure) to switch on the appropriate skills. I normally do these in the first 2-3 runs and my ski partners often don't even notice, but it really helps set me up for the day.

If there are any real weak points then I may set some time for a bit more work on these. Normally for me balance is at the heart of everything, so if I haven't skied for a while then some 1 leg skiing really helps. Then if I really want to focus on something (carving, bumps etc) then I may add some steering drills for this type of skiing.

So although this may sound a bit structured, like I said my ski partners tend not even to notice and it really helps me ski better and therefore enjoy it more. Go back to 2 leg skiing after 20 mins of 1 leg, and you feel so much stronger, better balanced, the whole experience feels great...if you can attack the bumps with some flow and confidence, then the enjoyment is also much greater than nervously skidding through them.
latest report
Step 1 - See if I can even put a turn in post ACL op.
Step 2 - Depends entirely on how step one goes.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
What to work on next ski holiday....................

The sexy skier chicks in the hot tub?
latest report
Quote:

The sexy skier chicks in the hot tub?

Where's the "Like" button! Although I feel you might be selling your idea a little short!

I reckon there might be one or two "hot boarder chicks" that also use the hot tubs! If you can be persuaded Laughing
snow report
Megamum wrote:

Well at your level I'd have taken a lesson... A good instructor can set you up with a weeks homework - or a few days... pretty easy to slip that into the days skiing usually...

These days I have a pretty good idea what I'm working on... progress is a little slower so it does not change quite so much from week to week... and still easy to slip into my ski day
latest report
Megamum wrote:

Well at your level I'd have taken a lesson... A good instructor can set you up with a weeks homework - or a few days... pretty easy to slip that into the days skiing usually...

These days I have a pretty good idea what I'm working on... progress is a little slower so it does not change quite so much from week to week... and still easy to slip into my ski day
latest report
Go on holiday to enjoy yourself. Work on relaxing and having fun Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 15-07-11 17:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Megamum, As from your previous posts you are now fairly happy on red slopes I would suggest that you have a couple of lessons on doing short turns on steep slopes. I found that once I had cracked that skill there was a step change in my overall skiing abiliy.
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
...I would suggest that you have a couple of lessons on doing short turns on steep slopes. I found that once I had cracked that skill ...

I wish I had cracked that skill... still a work in progress for me
snow report
riverman, I had two 2 hr private lessons last year and started work on those short turns - I am pretty confident to have a crack at 'stuff' with an instructor (or another cajoling adult) with me and tackled some fairly robust reds successfully with them (though it may not have looked particularly slick and tidy to the bystanders, it seemed to work)Toofy Grin What I do hope is that if I holiday by myself with the kids next year that I will still have the guts to go and ski reds (which will probably be strange reds) with them.

I get the concept of it's a holiday so relax, but my big downfall is that I'm a perfectionist and won't be happy until I can ski to a point that I'm happy with.
ski holidays
What to work on:

Toofy Grin Parents:
Remember that your child is not an athlete in training, they are on holiday.
Turn up on time to collect your child after the lesson
Just because they “skied a red yesterday” doesn’t mean the can “ski” a red
No, your child didn’t forget their lift pass – you did

Shocked 40 to 50 yrs + (guys)
Yes it is different from when you started.
The top group is not always the most appropriate
You don’t bend as well as you used to, so if you have a fight with a tree it will hurt more
Skiing in a tucked position off-piste is never a good idea

Toofy Grin 15 yrs (approx.)
Slow down or you will die
Practice 360’s with a slope after the jump
Your parents paid for the holiday so they are allowed (meant) to embarrass you
Spend some time skiing with your parents or you’ll regret it later in life

snowHead's
The man is the shop lied to you – you cannot buy anything from him that will improve your technique.
Blog when the lifts are closed or you’ll miss the very thing you have been blogging about
Stop comparing other snowHead ’s (blogged) trips with the one you are on now
Remember that Gaffer Tape should never ever be taken on holiday
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I've had a lesson of some sort every year so hopefully my technique isn't too bad so I tend to have quite broad skiing aims. A few years ago it was to get more comfortable skiing off piste, this year I wanted to get more comfortable skiing steeper stuff. I guess you could use this approach as well so getting more comfortable skiing reds would be a good aim which basically just means skiing them! I also think about little things, usually one at a time that I have noticed I do, again a couple of years ago an instructor pointed out I keep the weight on my inside foot for too long one one side when turning, this year someone took some photos of me where I noticed I was consistently dropping my inside arm on one side.
snow report
If the eating too much and drinking too much theory goes badly, I like to just go skiing with people who are better than I am. It pushes me to keep pace up on more difficult terrain, attempt slopes I wouldn't attempt on my own or with others of the same ability, and generally go a bit more balls out. That improves my skiing when I back off a bit, a bit like driving at 100mph makes driving at 30mph seem slower afterwards.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't consciously work on anything and hope that lessons I've had have just been absorbed through osmosis and transformed my skiing Madeye-Smiley

+1

I usually rememberr stuff I have been told/taught when things go a bit wrong...e.g. I would never dream of doing a kickturn normally but as soon as I am facing some sort of drop or get stuck somewhere which looks a bit iffy, I suddenly can do them (really quickly) without a problem (I then also always resolve to practice them on a regular basis but then never do till I'm facing the next abyss).
ski holidays
Wayne,
Quote:

Remember that Gaffer Tape should never ever be taken on holiday

But Gafer tape is my only friend
snow conditions
rob@rar, Sorry, I missed the comment above - 'The one thing that is holding back my skiing' is still my mind!
ski holidays
little tiger wrote:
riverman wrote:
...I would suggest that you have a couple of lessons on doing short turns on steep slopes. I found that once I had cracked that skill ...

I wish I had cracked that skill... still a work in progress for me

+1

I figure when I got that one finally cracked, I'd be a fantastic skier.
snow report
Megamum, my sister is a qualified hypnotherapist, if that helps... wink

If you mean you lack confidence then perhaps one of two scenarios is at play: you have reached the natural limit of your perceived risk, in which case enjoy the level you currently ski at and try not to get frustrated by the stuff you can't do. Alternatively, your confidence will continue to grow hand-in-hand with your increase in fundamental skills. Continue to develop your skills and you will grow in confidence.

My mind (or more precisely a lack of confidence) holds me back in some situations and I suspect the vast majority of skiers 'lose it' at some point when they reach the edge of their skills base, so you're not alone in having your mind hold you back.
ski holidays
rob@rar, strangley enough there is someone that advertises hypnotherapy in the local village, and I have often been intruiged by the notion that it could help with things like skiing. fear of hospitals and fear of jumping off things. The trouble is I am a fairly practically minded person and I don't know if I am the sort of person that would respond to hypnotherapy. Yes, I think it is a confidence issue - practically I know I am a fair IO level 6 skier - which means I should be capable of tackling all but the most ratty, ungroomed hellish reds in most resorts. In reality that is the case - My success in the Orelle valley this year on the long steeper stretch of deep slushy moguls proved that along with the sheer icy hell that was one or two of the reds in Les Arcs - safely and fairly competently negiotiated. So why is it that I will still resist going down red runs when there is a doddle of a blue next to it? No obvious reason that I can think of - I have enough skills to safely ski the reds in most conditions, so why do I have to talk myself into them? Is it because I am still on the edge of that newly found skills base that you mention above?
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Is it because I am still on the edge of that newly found skills base that you mention above?
Yes, I think it is. You don't yet trust those skills when the going gets tough, so take the easier option when one is offered to you. Perfectly natural, and by no means unusual. As an instructor I would look at how well acquired those skills were - whether they were fully ingrained in your skiing or whether you had to focus hard to use them in anything other than easy situations. As you become more proficient in those skills you will feel happier in more complex conditions, and your comfort zone will expand. Trick is to ensure you enjoy the process of developing those skills as well as "just skiing", so whatever you do on holiday is fun.
snow conditions
Quote:

focus hard to use them in anything other than easy situations

I have been finding that if I approach a tricky situation and might have my mind on other things at the time - other skiers, where are the kids?, have I lost the group?, where the hell is that boarder going?, theres a snow mobile - must watch where he wants to go etc. that the skis and legs just tend to do the necessary skiing. If one the other hand I've had time to think about things then yes, I then find that I really need to focus and get a bit of grim determination going to do what is needed and I never end up doing the things as well as I do in the first scenario.

Mind you I have taken the plunge and decided to book a ski holiday next year by myself with the kids and I think they will disown me if I don't ski the reds with them so maybe that will give me the shove I need to get my mind round the issue.
ski holidays
Megamum, yes, I always try to encourage a "quiet mind" when you're skiing, but that only works if you have the skills well enough embedded to let the body take over. Until you are in that position most people will need to concentrate on one or two key movements to help them stay in control if they are skiing at the edge of their ability. There is the danger of 'over-thinking' skiing: ask yourself if you ever do that...?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy