Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1950 - anyone been to La Village? Skiing??

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to post another request about resorts, but looked through the past posts and no-one has asked it (that I can tell)
We are now looking into going France over Andorra around beginning of Feb. Been looking into Les Arcs 1950 (the new village thats been built). Its quite expensive - £150 more on a SC board than we paid for Italy on a HB basis. But I was wandering if it was worth paying extra. There seem to be loads of runs and the bobsleigh in La Plagne is swaying me towards it). The village sounds v nice with fireworks advertised on some nights. Looks very picturesque in Thomson brochure, but just wandering what it is really like if you have been there. Or should we go for a slightly cheaper resort like Flaine, where there seems to be less to do but cost is less.
thanks for help
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm afraid I don't know about the new area at 1950 as it wasn't built when we went to Les Arcs. However I'd recommend a visit to the Les Arcs ski area if you haven't been before. It has a good variety of runs, with some pretty tree lined reds in the area between arc 1800 and Peisy. I think the most challenging runs were above Arc 2000 but it is going back some years so I can't remember the runs in detail.

The village area does sound nice and I'd be tempted to give it a try. We stayed in Arc 1800 at Hotel Du Golf (with Thompson) and that was a good base. There are cheaper self catering apartments in Arc 1800 and Arc 1600 if you don't want to pay the higher price for the 1950 Village.

If you live in the South East I'd recommend taking the Eurostar there. The transfer from Bourg St Maurice station to Les Arcs is very quick.

I hope somebody with more recent experience of Les Arcs will come on this thread soon!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jon Ford, For general info on the les arcs domain incl. runs etc then this thread should be helpful, although I think the bar/restaurant bits are now probably starting to get a little out of date..
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53223

As to staying in 1950 I will confess to not having done so, but the places are supposed to be a bit smarter than the average french rental. It is also very easy to get in/out of the village (more pole in/out than ski in / out) but it's not very far to push. Reasonable number of bars/restaurants and the only 'village' supermarket that was open throughout the day a couple of seasons ago - also one with larget champagne stocks which might tell you a little more about the 'positioning' of 1950 village.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spent the season in Les Arcs, and the ski area is great. Very extensive in its own right, with some fantastic tree-lined runs (a couple of which are up there as my favourites ever). Its obviously linked with La Plagne too, but if I tell you that in my whole season I only went over to La Plagne 3 times, it tells you how good Les Arcs is that I didn't feel I needed to!

Le Village is very much a chocolate-box resort. You can ski through the centre of it and, although brand new, it has a real traditional charm to it. There's often little events going on in the village too. The accommodation is high end, hence the increased prices. You can find cheaper accom in Les Arcs, as snowymum, says. Some of it is OK (Hotel du Golf in 1800, La Cachette in 1600 are solid 3 star hotels, unspectacular but nice enough). I don't rate much of the hotel accommodation in 2000 though, Aiguille Rouge in particular is very 70s and orange!

If you fancy the bobsleigh, bear in mind it'll take you just over an hour to get there, and the same back. You could ski over there I guess, but its a hike from the slopes to the bob run. And you'd still have to get back, bobsleigh is only open in the late afternoon / evening, so you couldn't ski back. Worth bearing in mind.

If money isn't an object then you'll have a lovely time in Le Village. If you can forego the 4 star accommodation and go for something lower in quality to save a few quid, then there are still plenty of choices to you. Definitely a great ski area to try, and that's the most important thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Completely agree with Dav's description - although it's a little too disney chocolate box for my taste.

Worth noting is that the restaurants, bars etc - although nice are all quite expensive too. The gondala works up to 2000 until about 11ish each evening though, and there are buses to the other Arc resorts, so you aren't too tied to 1950 in the evenings.

One thing to bear in mind if any of you are beginners, is that the beginners slope at 1950 is very small and only really suitable for children. So, beginners either have to get on the gondela to Arc 2000 for lessons or struggle down quite a steep blue to get to the nearest chair.

Les Arc skiing is great though and, wherever you go, I'm sure that you'll have a great time!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, thanks for all replies. Was youtub'ing Les Arcs all last night and really want to go now. The wife has promised we would be eating in as restaurants are xpensive (compared to previous resorts we have skiid) (although I am sure she will blag one meal out!) The terrain park and that waterslide thing has sold it for me. If we decide not to go Les Arcs, are there other resorts with that sort of feature? Only been to basic resorts in past (Bulgaria, Lapland and Passo Ton) and they dont offer anything liek that, nor the amount of runs! Really want to go, but need to weigh up cost of it all. Thanks again. If anyone has reviews of the place, please continue to post
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jon Ford, the waterslide probably won't be open at the beginning of February; it is a late-season activity. The snow park above Arc 1600 is lots of fun, with a good range of features from little things for freestyle beginners to big kickers, boxes and rails (plus the occasional airbag day) for more experienced freestyle skiers. A new toboggan course opened last season, above Arc 2000, which looks like a lot of fun.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford, if you're looking for self-catering in Les Arcs but maybe a bit cheaper than 1950, have a look at the Alpages de Chantel. They're higher end apartments located just above Arc 1800, and there's a free shuttle bus which goes down into resort every 20 minutes. There a 2 different blocks, if you request to be in Alpages 1 there is a bar, restaurant and ski hire shop all on-site. And it's almost slopeside, so pretty much ski-in ski-out.

Getting around Les Arcs is fairly easy, free resort buses run between the villages up until 9.30 - 10.00 at night, so you can still visit 1950 without staying there if you wanted to. Also, Alpages de chantel is right next to the floodlight skiing piste, always a nice touch.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jon Ford,

I have been to Les Arcs 4 times, I feel the same as Dav, above, the last 2 times I did not get the full Paradiski lift pass as there is so much variety in Les Arcs. I have stopped in the Augille Rouge twice in 2000 and I thought it offered very good value for money with arguably one of the best locations for skiing in Les Arcs. This did give us the opportunity to sample 1950 in the evening, now to be fair both times it was end of Jan so quietish week. The menu's outside the restaurants made me go Shocked and we had a few beers in the bars and it was like a ghost town. It all feels a bit manufactured if you know what I mean, but I am sure kids would love it during the day.

Les Arcs is my fauvorite French resort out of all the massifs, but I think there are far better value places to stay than 1950. You have even said you will be doing the cooking, you could stop in a reasonable half board hotel/chalet for the price of an apartment in 1950.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks Dav. Will look into. Would love to go Les Arcs as everyone said its great skiing (heard 2011 season was poor snow, but most places had poor snow fall this year) Shame the Waterslide thing wont be open - that would be great (may have to go again a month later!!) Will google the Alpages de Chantel now - thanks again
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jon Ford, I have an apartment in Alpage du Chantel. Follow the link in my signature if you're interested.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jon Ford wrote:
Shame the Waterslide thing wont be open

It would be a shame if it was open, you are going at the beginning of Feb snowHead The waterslide is melting snow wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fair point Kel - prefer to ski than fall on my face water-skiing. Thans for offer rob, but always go with Tour Operator for skiing to make sure I get there!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have also been to www.skivillaroger.com bit off the beaten track, but far superior and personal than anything s major tour op could offer and you could probably bring it in at the same cost if not if not cheaper.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, we stayed in the Radisson owned apartments in 1950, 3/4 years ago - very nice 3 bed duplex apartment for reasonable money. 1950 was good, but nightlife was fairly limited although enough places to go if you are just looking for quiet time. Restaurants were fairly pricey, but not as bad as some places I have seen. Very child friendly resort in that it's pedestrianised. As others here have said, the ski area is amazing - you definitely won't be disappointed with that Smile It's easy access is a major bonus point. Hope you enjoy the hol wherever you decide.
snow report
Jon Ford Mrs MA & I didn't stay in 1950 but thought it was absolutely fantastic when we skied down to it.

Although all of the other Arcs are decent enough in terms of access to the skiing and facilities (though Arc 1600 is rather limited for bars/restaurants), 1950 is in another league for ambience and general niceness. IMO if you don't stay there, you'll wish you had once you see it.
snow report
Kel, Do I know you? Should I know you?
latest report
Guvnor, R u Jonny !! Puzzled
ski holidays
went there last year and are going back this year loved it
ski holidays
Jon Ford, don't go to Flaine
latest report
Jon Ford, If you can afford the cost, stay in Arc 1950. I know all the stations well and the ski in / ski out is the best here. But eating out is not cheap. You do have Arc 2000 connected by a gondala until 11pm and there are cheaper options in the higher station 5min away. Plus more bars, clubs, bowling etc. For a family group this is better than Arc 1800. If you want to party then you are still better off in Arc 1800 area.
snow conditions
cheers all. Booked the 1950 accom yesterday - wish I was going next week though. Ski holidays have suddently become my favourite type over beach hols. Cant wait to go - keep reading about the resort and watching the utube vids over & over. Bring on Feb 2012
latest report
Quote:

You have even said you will be doing the cooking

I think the implication was rather that his wife would be doing the cooking... wink
snow report
pam w,

WOW alltough you did not quote me directly that is copied from my post

I was simply suggesting that the OP was obviouslly on a budget pam w are you a a Jim Davidson fan Laughing Laughing

Its 2011 we have to be PC ypu know even on snowHead 's wink wink
ski holidays
Good work Jon, you'll have a great time.

Make sure you pop into George Brown's wine bar; it's best venue in 1950 for a beer / bottle of red, and George is a cracking guy. And also head up to 2000 and pop into Whistlers Dream for a pint or two during Apres, and if you fancy a pizza, that's the place to go.

As for the skiing, you're in an ideal spot to head right up to the top of the Aiguille Rouge and ski all the way down to Villaroger; 2km of vertical descent and a 7km ski down, an absolutely brilliant run. And if you do it on a clear day the views from the top are absolutely spectacular.
latest report
Jon Ford, enjoy your trip. As Dav says, Georges, it is the best place in town - it is the unofficial 'watering hole' of the Owners Association, and since 75% or more of us are British / Irish , you will always find someone in there who knows and loves the resort.
snow report
cheers Dav & Arctic. Will deff pop into there. Is there an easy way to get to the SuperU in St Maurice from 1950? (cheaper than the 1950 Spar) If you have any more tips, send them over. Cant wait now snowHead
snow conditions
Jon Ford wrote:
cheers Dav & Arctic. Will deff pop into there. Is there an easy way to get to the SuperU in St Maurice from 1950? (cheaper than the 1950 Spar) If you have any more tips, send them over. Cant wait now snowHead

Bus to 1600 then funiclaire down to BSM. Thats half a valuable skiing day wasted getting the groceries in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jon Ford wrote:

As Kel says, bus then funi. You've then also got a 10 - 15 minute walk to the supermarket from the Funi (ok on the way there, a pain on the way back). If you have an early arrival on Saturday and can do it after straight that, then great (you'll likely not be able to get in to your room until at least 4ish anyway). But otherwise it is going to cost you skiing time. Also, on a saturday you'd have to pay for the funi, it's included with your lift pass but of course you won't have that until the Sunday. So it's debatable how much you'll actually save if a few of you go down.

To be honest, for a lot of foods, although it is cheaper in the Super U compared to resort, it's not break the bank expensive (especially just for a week). Take with you tea & coffee etc and you'll be alright. Also you can get the gondola up to Arc 2000 and use the supermarkets there which may well be a bit cheaper.

Other tips: Melli's snack bar, and also the waffle shop, both in 1950, both very good (Melli's especially after a few drinks at George's.....)

If you're eating lunch in the mountain restaurants I'd recommend a couple of places. The Arpette restaurant is above 1800 and has some simply stunning views over the Tarantaise valley, and a huge outside area which is great if the weather is sunny. The queues can get a bit hectic though. Also, Mont Blanc restaurant in Peisey/Vallandry does good food (and plenty of it), the ribs and burgers were my favourites there. The restaurant is not immediately obvious to find, its 20 metres or so down the road behind the Grizzly chairlift. Again, a really nice outside area for a sunny day.

I don't know why I'm giving you all this info, you're not going for more than half a year!!
latest report
Jon Ford, how are you travelling to Les Arcs? - If getting the train to BsM then taxi to 1950 then, what we usually do is get them to stop at the Super U on the way and fill up. If driving from airports, then obviously it's easy. If with a TO, then you'll need to buy a few beers in Georges and get someone with a car to give you a lift! - as Kel says, the bus and funicular is possible, but will lose you significant skiing time.

Generally tho, the stuff in the 1950 spar is only eyewatering if you are buying from the "British" counter, or insist on branded OJ or cereals - if you bring your own Pringles plus tonic water, and the gin bottle from the duty free (if via Geneva...) and then get the rest in 1950 sure, you'll be a few quid down, but not enough to make it worth losing slope-time.

quick edit - having popped off with half a post written and then Dav put some stuff in!

2000 is NOT a cheaper supermarket - and certainly not as good quality or choice! The restaurants and ski hire shops OTOH... Laughing
ski holidays
thanks again. I know its over 6months, but Im making notes of it all. Im really xicited about this one. having only been Passo Tonale, Bulgaria and Lapland, its gonna be my first major resort. Already made a list of what to include on the holiday video (work is quiet at the moment!!)
Was thinking going Super U on the saturday, but if xpensive on the Funnicular, I wont bother and hit the spar. We are not bothered about british brands etc. Thanks again for the info - I know its ages away, but really appreciate it (Arctic - Like your comment re: the gin - hope it works the same way with the JD)
latest report
Hi all, just registered today so my first scan through the forum. All looks great and very friendly. I am fairly new to sking too having been for the first time two years ago after 25 years of windsurfing! My new girlfriend has skied since she was small and is very proficient (and luckily very patient). The transferrable skills from windsurfing were only fairly limited I found! Anyway have been for four seperate weeks and stayed at the 1950 Village each time. My girlfriend thinks it is one of the best places she has been to and she has been to a few!
I absolutley loved in and am now hooked on skiing. As others say it is not cheap but the accomadation is great and the atmosphere is excellent. Very Christmassy. (I appreciate that I have not much to compare it to).
The ski in/ out is great and I was able to manage the fairly steep ski in from 2000 after a couple of days of lessons. You can always come down from 2000 in the free gondola from the learning area if you want.The ski out to the lifts is very short and can be snow ploughed all the way down to the first lift if necessary. The long blue down to the bottom lift (Cascades?) is a good warm up at the beginning of the day and again I was able to manage it (after a fashion!)after a couple of days when I went the first time.
I thought the skiing generally was great and for a first timer who is keen to progress there was loads of different runs with lots of good challenges.
Having said that I think we are going to La Rosiere this next season in Les Cimes Blanches apartments. Anyone stayed at those?
Looking forward to lots of useful information and tips!
Cheers
snow report
krisw123, welcome to snowHeads.

I'm sure there are a few regulars here who have been to Les Cimes Blanches in La Ros so hopefully they can comment on their experience. Might be worth starting a new thread in the "resorts" section which will make it easier for La Ros experts to see your question.
snow conditions
Thanks, will do.
snow report
Hi Krisw. Thanks for comments. always nice to hear another positive comment about Les Arcs. Got a feeling we will e going back over th nxt few years. Cant wait now, but 6months to go. Welcome to Snowheads
latest report
Jon Ford, who did you book with in the end?
snow report
Dav, booked through Thomas Cook, who are using Neilson (or Inghams - get confused between those too). I booked via the shop, and not online. Bigged them up and said they were being very helpful etc - managed to get everything for 2 people for £2k. (flights, tranxs, S/C accom, full lift pass inc Plagne and intermediate ski/boots (thats 2 people in a room planned for 4...if there were 4 of us it would work out a lot cheaper but we had to pay the £300 supplement)
The cheapest I could get it for online was with Neilsons for £2300total, so got a saving of £300 by going instore. Havent booked in a store for years, but will always try that first now I know they can beat the internet snowHead
ski holidays
Jon, just to give you some perspective. Last year's Paradiski lift passes were 249 euros, and ski hire if you bought in resort was around 115 euros I think.
ski holidays
cheers Dav. We paid £236 for the lift pass and £95 for the skis & boots, so not a bad deal. Does the paradiski lift pass also give you 1 day in one of the 3valleys (tignes val D'S etc) 2 brochures say it does but hte Thomas Cook one doesnt mention it, just says full access to Plagne for the 6 days. If so, which would u recommend for the day (was thinking Tignes) and how far are they away/are there transfers??
cheers (part of me wishes was february now...but need to make most of the summer and my hols to tenerife in 2 weeks!)
latest report
Jon, there are 3 three different lift pass types. Local pass (Les Arcs), obviously just for just Les Arcs; Discovery (Decouverte) which is Les Arcs plus any one day of your 6 days in La Plagne; and Area pass (Paradiski) which is all 6 days available for Les Arcs and La Plagne. Last year they went up in price from 209 euros, 229 and 249, so it definitely sounds as if you have the Paradiski.

And yes, the Paradiski (and indeed the Decouverte) pass gives you access to one full day in 3 Valleys AND one full day in Tignes/Val d'Isere. Last year the TOs used to run a transfer service over to Tignes. It was run by Crystal, but the other tour ops could get customers on to it, and cost 25 euros each for a lift there and back. You do have to get in there pretty quickly though, it was always extremely popular. You can of course make your own way there and back but with just two of you a taxi is going to be very expensive, and public transport from 1950 would be a real faff (bus, funicular, bus both ways). Transfer time by minibus to Tignes from 1950 is probably about an hour, about an extra half hour to 3 Valleys (depending which resort of course).

Being as you have a full Paradiski pass, its up to you to decide if you fancy spending the extra. I definitely would advise it though, I think Tignes/VdI is an amazing ski area and being as you get a full day out and are driven there and back for 25 euros, its well worth the money.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy