Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in Chatel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For the last few years we have been spending the ski season in St Gervais and bought an Evasion pass covering St G, Megeve, Les Contamines & Combloux. This year we want to do something different but still be relatively near to Geneva for easy access. Chatel keeps coming up and having looked at accommodation it looks like a good possibility. We are experienced skiers who do a fair amount of off piste/touring but not as "high mountain" as Chamonix for instance.

What do you think? As a side note one of our party has a campervan and has always been able to free camp in St G and Les Contamines. Are there any campervans around in Chatel?

Thanks a lot and look forward to hearing what you think.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alj, hi and welcome. Last year there was people staying in campervans just outside of Chatel, near the lifts at Pre La Joux. It isnt an official site, just more of a large car park place but they were there for a weeek so i think it must be authorised and allowed. As for access to and from Geneva, with the new bypass it can be done in 1 hour (or a little under if quiet and you put your foot down) As for off piste etc there is quite a lot that i have heard of. The guide in our chalet was saying there is lots if you know where to go. Also with 650km of piste, there is lots to keep you going throughout the season. I have skied there for 5 weeks not and still have now covered the whole of the PDS. Any mor einfo then please feel free to ask.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info. We're just sorting out accommodation at the moment. How far apart from each other are the main lifts? Walking distance?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alj, unless there's a new new bypass I think RLTP might be a little optimistic in his suggestion of a sub 1hr transfer. Especially during week day rush hours (The Thonon/Geneve stretch gets very busy with frontaliers commuting) and on Saturdays.

By road Chatel is marginally less convenient than say Morzine or Les Gets as you are generally best going past Thonon only, rather than also having the Cluses or Vallee Verte options. But I wouldn't let road convenience sway my judgement.

The two sets of main lifts (Super Chatel and Linga) are not connected although the buses are OK. Linga is a playground.

Loads of ski touring all round the area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking online it looks like the best/cheapest way for our friends to come out and meet us is for them to get the train to Aigle and for us to pick them up - about 40 mins. Also just discovered that the excellent thermal baths at Lavey les Bains that we used to go to from Chamonix are also only 40 mins away which is great.

Could you expand on Linga is a playground...........

Is there a ski touring guide English or French for this area? We would of course use local IGNs too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alj, Once you know your way around, Linga's full of gulleys, little cliffs, bowls, etc. Almost all immediately lift served.

The classic is Anselme Baud's Les Alpes du Nord a skis, http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/50364293/Les-Alpes-Du-Nord-A-Skis-Aravis-Mont-Blanc-Chablais-Beaufortin-Faucigny-Livre.html - A lovely book

I'm sure there are more.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy